game sound problems

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Maybe one of you veterans can help me out with this.

Every once in awhile while I am watching my opponents turn replay, after the first shot is firied, the sound from that shot keeps repeating untill a new one has fired, which causes that shot to repeat, and this keeps repeating until the turn is done. The only way I can stop it is to save and close the game then reopen to play my turn. Is this happening to anyone else? Is there a cure for this, or is itr just a bug I will have to live with?

Other than being really annoying, it's bearable. It's just the sound of all that extra gunfire makes my guys a little scared and they run for the woods like little mice.

Cheers,
Ray

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have not run into a sound problem, however when running really large scenarios, in this case Operazion C3, when viewing the opponents turn the unit stat boxes became garbled and for the rest of the playback and into my turn I could not read the stats for the units. I simply exited and rebooted and since I did not save the turn, reopend the turn and replayed it. If your system is on the modest side like mine, (by current pc standards that is) then it is best to open the game from a fresh boot. Do not run any other application beforehand as this will give you the most memory usage for the game. I find that when I run the game this way I have not had any difficulties.

Michael

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That probably is the best advice Norad. I usually have a few programs running in the background while I play. I'm too lazy to reboot before each game.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Krink,
I have the same problem when I run my WF CD. I believe the most of the sound files are read off the CD during game play. So it my be a worn or scratched CD as I suspect is the case with mine.

Dan

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I use burned copies of the CS games when I play so the originals don't get ruined...that you may have something there.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
hmm... not really, I think it is a bug. I have the same problem ---- annoying to hell... so the result it I shut it off all the time --- even my speaker ... anyway, those stupid firing sound or tracking sound soon gets boring.... to me, at least :devious:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the same problem too. I updated all my drivers, activeX, etc. no dice. Still happened after boosting RAM too. Sometimes exiting the scenario helps then going in and waiting ten seconds or so before doing anything, but not always. I think it's a bug.

I'm using "onboard" sound. Wonder if it happens with sound cards like "Sound Blaster".

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a sound blaster card. I run the game on Win ME. I have run v1.02 and 1.03 gold on the same machine and have never had a sound problem. What OS are running, and could that be part of the problem? Does the CS series play nice with XP?

Michael

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Used to happen on my old comptuer, a P2 400 with 256 RAM, onboard sound and Windows 98 - second edition. I was mildly curious when I got my new computer if it would happen there. P4 1600 512 RAM runinng XP pro. Same thing. I know for sure that it always happens with West Front. If it happens with EFII it's probably not as often, or I'm just so used to it. I suspect it might be a driver conflict thing. It'll be interesting to see if, as with you, it never happens with Sound Blaster cards, but only with the onboard, not that I'm going to run right out.

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I really can't remember if it only happens on WF or not. I do not have onboard sound so I don't think that is an issue. I don't have a sound blaster either but it is soundblaster compatible.

I will have to be on the lookout to see if it happens with EF. Maybe it's just a WF problem.

Interesting.

recruit

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had the sound looping problem and the only way that I stopped it was to remove Directx 9.1b and reinstall Directx8.1b. YMMV

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
recruit said:
I had the sound looping problem and the only way that I stopped it was to remove Directx 9.1b and reinstall Directx8.1b. YMMV
Thats sounds interesting. I may do that if it starts again. Since I setup my comp, it hasn't happened, so I'll wait and see. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Ensayne

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had the same problem (West Front only). Although I updated a lot of my drivers a couple of months ago and it hasn't happened since, I think this is just something inherent in the program and it will probably happen again. I do have Soundblaster. You can save the scenario, exit (the scenario, not the program), go back in and be right where you were without the annoying extra gunfire.

Last edited:

recruit

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the Soundblaster 5.1 Gamer Edition. I updated my sound card driver-no luck. What was interesting about the problem was it's intermittent nature. Like you suggested, the problem did return. I read in the newsgroups that a lot of people were complaining about Directx 9 issues with other games. I had tried everything else. So I downgraded from Directx 9, and my sound looping stopped. Since then, using 8.1b, all my sound problems have gone away. YMMV.