Game Enhancements

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It's gratifying to see that this game, while somewhat obscure, still has a following. It would be cool to see the action here in the DA forum pick up.

This is a very unique sim in a number of ways, and its approach to unit footprint/task organization is unlike any other wargame I have ever come across. Granted, this sim is probably difficult for someone with no military staff experience to fully grasp, but the actual gameplay mechanics are fairly simple. The thing that will give a lot of people problems is the extensive use of military symbology and acronyms. Still, it's not quite as daunting as it might first appear. Once you get a few games under your belt it all starts to make sense.

That said, Curt is quite correct that DA is worth learning and an much more realistic than most other wargames. If you can get past the archaic interface and abstractions, DA has a lot to offer.

John Osborne

Reaction score
We continue to push the development of DA by working very closely with Jim Lunsford. We also realize how satisfying and fun DA can be, even when we work with it all the time. If there are people who want to play against the "pros", contact myself or Dr. James Sterrett, and we'll get you set-up with one of our newer team members. They could use the practice!
Curt
With the end of Lion 8 exercise here today, I will have time to play a scenario but I'm not a new team member :laugh: But I can help you in the fine art of warfare using this sim.

Beware I have played this allot :p and I can help explain how to use this sim. Just send me an email with DA in the Subject header or I will delete it because I may not know who you are :eek: and we will get a game going.

JohnO

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
If there is anyone out there that wants to try a pbem using the latest patch let me know

Gary

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One note on logistics and a question for cpangracs. Looking at two or three of the scenarios, it looks as if the default is to play with logistics off. The units are now set to not expend any log points for movement or combat. So to play a scenario with the new log system, you would have to not only create your supply convoys but also edit all the units so that they expend supply normally. That really wouldn't take that long and would only have to be done once if you then saved the scenario (under a new name if you wanted to keep the original scenario as is). Is that correct?
Correct, except that you don't have to alter the units - turn-on logistics, and they will expend supplies.

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If there is anyone out there that wants to try a pbem using the latest patch let me know

Gary
I haven't played in over a year, and have just discovered the 2.7 patch. I would be interested in playing a few PBEM games after I spend some time getting familiar with the game again.

John Osborne

Reaction score
Peter,

want to try the Operation Northern Watch as a PBEM? You can be the US Marines hitting the beach and I will be the Germans. Send me an email if you want to try it and I will send all the files you will need.

JohnO

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Hub,

Long time no speak. Sure I'd be happy to give you a few pbem games. Like you I need a whilw to get used to the new patch. Let me know when your ready.

Gary

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Hub,

Long time no speak. Sure I'd be happy to give you a few pbem games. Like you I need a whilw to get used to the new patch. Let me know when your ready.

Gary
Roger that, Gary.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To answer a few items not already dealt with:

- The event editor isn't available to Blue. :)

- Single player mode defaults to "logistics off".

- We cannot hand out our scenarios to you (Limited Distribution caveat on all the maps). Sorry! :(

- We may not be able to distribute our tutorials - last time I asked, the answer was "no".

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

- We may not be able to distribute our tutorials - last time I asked, the answer was "no".
I apologize if anyone got the impression that we could give you any of our products - we can't. We can, however, answer specific questions you have about how to do a particular task or help you to understand the concept behind why and how DA does the things it does.

Again, sorry if I misled anyone.

Curt