Game: 1776 Guilford Court House

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a game of Guilford Court House with RangerBooBoo.

This game is, to put it simply, an absolute madhouse. Near as I can tell, Mark is pushing in two places. First of all, he's pushing down the central road, and we are heavily engaged right in the middle of the map. Then, sent a strong flanking force around the south road, which made it very deep before I intercepted it. The good news is that I managed to drop some of militia onto his flank, and have started to chop that unit up.

The last couple of turns, I've found that he's run a couple of squadrons of Cav into my rear, and he's captured my only supply unit. Losses to this point are fairly even, with about 550 losses per side. I'll keep it updated as more turns come along. Free free to add your $.02 worth Mark.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually Gary is doing the pushing at this point. Those big militia companies are refusing to rout and they are taking a dreadful toll on my forces. I do believe my right flank will be swallowed up. The only good news to report at this point is that my cavalry has taken the rearmost VP hex and overrun one of his guns.

Reaction score
Still pressing along, and it's pretty grim for the Redcoats (Rangerbooboo). Unless Mark has something up his sleeve I don't see, the situation has pretty much stablized. His cav raid hurt me deeply. They picked up most of my cannon, and nearly snagged General Greene, but I got some troops back to deal with the horses, and hopefully I'll be able to finish them off soon. I'm currently breaking down his right flank, and pressing forward.

This really is an all or nothing scenario for the British. They are heavily outnumbered, but have much better troops. If the Colonials can weather that first "blast" they can then extend the line, and use their numbers to wear the english down.

Reaction score
Mark decided to surrender, so this game is over. Thus, I'll take the opportunity to talk about the game in a bit more detail.

The opening Colonial position is a bit odd. Your force is divided into three lines. You can see part of the opening position in the attachment.

Your first two lines are made up of rifle armed militia, while far to the rear are three battalions of line infantry (musket armed). Now, with all the woods around, the rifles are not much of an advantage, they have lower firepower at close range, and they are also rated as "no bayonet", so they melee extremely badly. That said, after a couple of turns of sniping at Mark as he began to advance across the field, I started to pull back my first line. I did this in extended line, to minimize the losses I'd take from firepower. Now, rifles in extended line make them very vunerable to melee, but that's a calculated risk.

Mark was able to scatter my forces in the center, even as I did a bit of sniping around at his northern flank. However, he also sent a large force (2 battalions I think, not entirely sure) around the road to the south. Now, this was not entirely unexpected, but Mark moved much faster than I expected. I was lucky though, that I was moving one of my third line battalions down the road in the opposite direction. In the end, they served as the anvil, while the milita from my second line served as the hammer. I was able to flank and destroy his flanking column, though I lost all of my south flank cav in the process. Ultimately, I was able to unite the remnants of my first line, and my second line just west of the central N-S trail through the woods, and bring up 2 battalions of my regular infatry to stiffen the center. After that, it was just a matter of leaning on Mark. The colonials have a major advantage in manpower, so anything that causes even attrition is to your advantage, and as time went on, it wasn't even any more. He did get his cav into my rear, and they ate most of my cannon (which I'd sent back there to stay out of the way), and nearly got Greene. I sent back my remaining Cav (from the north flank), and a few rallied infantry that were near the roads, and was isolating that threat.

This is not an easy scenario for the Brits to be honest. I strongly feel that it's an all or nothing for them. If the battle isn't "over" by about turn 12, they are in deep trouble. Mark did an excellent job, and it was serioulsy chaotic out there for a bit, but in the end, numbers told.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gary did an excellent job. I figured my two battalions of infantry that I sent around my right would either run into a force of his doing the similar thing or bet into his rear. The cavalry I sent on an even deeper move and they did meet with success taking most of his cannon and narrowly missing capturing Greene himself. My main advance was like walking into a meat grinder. I should have probably concentrated more and been less afraid to melee and maybe things would have been different. With all those woods out there though I felt forced to spread out some as half the population of North America could have been out there armed with clubs. Gary did a good job describing what happened to my flanking columns so I won't elaborate more. :dead: