Gallipoli 1915 ver 1.1 Playtesters Wanted

bluermonkey

Reaction score
Country
ll
My first post, I would like some playtesters for my Gallipoli scenario.

Two things I should say. I need help in not only completing a bug free, worthwhile product but also in making it as historically acurate as possible. So people with any interest/knowledge in WW1 would be most useful as playtesters, but anyone really who think they could help me getting this product up to a good enough condition for release.

Anyone interested should PM me with their email address, and I'll send them the scenario. Included with it is a short word document detailing known issues and bugs.

Any help would be great, thanks. :)

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
fire away to me!

I'll be very interested in looking at it - it's a wonderfull scenario in theory due to scale and scope and I am very curious to see how it is made.. and anything ww1 makes me happy...

bluermonkey

Reaction score
Country
ll
Over the next few weeks I am going to collect any changes that need to be made to the scenario. Here are a couple I should’ve got right for my first revision of the scenario.

Some changes for 1.2

Completely new map.
I have found a new map that appears a great deal more accurate, detailing inland hill areas.

Revised OOB.
Numerous changes will need to be made here, but one change to be implemented straight away is the renaming of one of the two 88th Brigades included in the Allied forces OOB! One should be named the 86th. Rather a huge mistake…

If anyone would like to playtest this scenario and help me add to the list, then please PM me your email address.

bluermonkey

Reaction score
Country
ll
I am 75% near completion on the new map. I am currently in the process of gathering info for the OOB. I beleive that this time I have the correct information for building an accurate OOB.

Piero, Wolf Tone, did you get a chance to take a look at the scenario?

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
bluermonkey said:
I am 75% near completion on the new map. I am currently in the process of gathering info for the OOB. I beleive that this time I have the correct information for building an accurate OOB.

Piero, Wolf Tone, did you get a chance to take a look at the scenario?
Well I was about to start when you posted you were doing it again so I thought i'd hold off till the next version is ready.

bluermonkey

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thats fair enough, I was never really happy with the scenario as it stood, and I've just got the urge to scrap it and start again. Of course, it may have something to do with the relatively smal map and few strategic options making it less than fun, maybe the Galliploi campaign isn't suited to TOAW? Anyway, I'm gonna have another go at it and see what comes of it.

Any info you may have for the OoB and/or Toe would be very welcome.

bluermonkey

Reaction score
Country
ll
Gallipoli 1.1 scenario file, pic and word document. I'm currently building 1.2 so any help/suggestions would be most welcome.

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
here are some comments on the fly, as I look at the scen.

- color:
I'd go for unit color of the uniform color (mostly tan) instead of bright colors, but that's just me.

- map scale:
i think to reflect the pace of progression, on should use a 1km/hex scale and forget about artillery range, in ww1, most artillery range was much lower than the theorical range of the gun.

- map and terrain features:
I'd make lots of usage of escarpments (small and big) and lots of rocky and hills - and even mountain - to simulate the rugged terrain.
i'd not put anchorages so much, to force units to spend one turn near the coast and suffer fire from coastal positions
I'd put strong Ottoman naval batteries - strong enough to kill a few Entente ships and add minefields
- I'd also use some shallow water hexes, to prevent ships to use fire support too much inland
- I'd also make supply points much more scarce and with a range of zero.

-other

- supply level seems right to me for both sides.
- proficiency level seems high for both sides, but perhaps it is ok.

I have not looked at OOB, etc. but certainly there must be events to make the fleets retire, etc. or huge penalties for ships beeing sunk (those were expensive!)... and events for german submarines sinking ships too...

bluermonkey

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for that, Ill need to look over what you've said more carefully later but here is my initial reaction to the points you've made.

Map Scale. I was wary against setting the map scale to something which isn't supported by the game system. You're probably right, but what considerations do I need to take into account as regards lowering the scale?

Terrain Features. I agree 100% with what you are saying, I have a much better map source now so I can make some changes, but I really need some photos of the terrain to get a better idea about this.

Proficiency. These levels are quite high, but I feel this represents the fighting well. For example, the Turks were extremely tough fighters, and where they wern't so tough, the had good leaders to make them stand and fight. (Reminds of the story of I think the Turkish commander who stopped a group of fleeing soldiers, and when they complained they had no amoo he told them to use their bayonets!) :devious:

I will increase the penalties for the Allied player getting ships sunk. I may consider removing the penalty on the Turkish player for getting coastel guns destroyed, it seems a bit unnecessary.

I was thinking of adding random events for German subss sinking ships, this will be included in 1.2.

Thankyou for your assistance. :)

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
piero1971 I'd put strong Ottoman naval batteries - strong enough to kill a few Entente ships and add minefields /QUOTE said:
Can coastal batteries kill ships at all? I've been experimenting with them a bit in TGW and tried adding a few dozen of the big 1940's fixed guns which theoretically should be able to wreck medium sized naval units. Attacking fleets were free to bombard without risk of loss.

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
If I remember correctly when the first attempt to force the straights, one of the reasons british and french ships got gutted on the minefields was for fear of coastal batteries. the ottomans had a few very precise and mordern german krupp guns that put lots of fear into the entente fleet.

costal batteries have a strong advantage on ships. they cannot be sunk, are a small targets and have higher gunnery precision than ships as they fire from a stable platform (land).

The Osprey "gallipoli" campaign series book is a good resource for history and oob, plus of course the innumerable resources online. for the ottoman side of it, there are a few good books in english, but hard to find.

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
piero1971 said:
costal batteries have a strong advantage on ships. they cannot be sunk, are a small targets and have higher gunnery precision than ships as they fire from a stable platform (land).
I was commenting on toaw mechanics. As near as I can tell the only thing the batteries are good for in the game is making things hard on invading marines.

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
quite true as anti-shipping values of most guns is, 6-12 against, say battleship defence values of 200+...

but if one uses coastal-guns instead of the 150mm range ones, the anti-ship value is suddenly really interesting and definitely can sink ships...

bluermonkey

Reaction score
Country
ll
piero1971 said:
The Osprey "gallipoli" campaign series book is a good resource for history and oob, plus of course the innumerable resources online. for the ottoman side of it, there are a few good books in english, but hard to find.
I've mostly been using online resources, but if I come across a decent, cheapish book I'll snap it up. Yes, Ottoman Turk info is very hard to find. Wikipedia.com has some good info, but other than that...

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
piero1971 said:
quite true as anti-shipping values of most guns is, 6-12 against, say battleship defence values of 200+...

but if one uses coastal-guns instead of the 150mm range ones, the anti-ship value is suddenly really interesting and definitely can sink ships...
Those're the guns I tried addingg. Even with an antishippinh rating of 99 20 150mm fixed guns didn't sink a single ship in repeated tests.