G6 Rockets Red Glare

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played this tonight as the Germans. Looked at a couple of setups available online and went for a set back defence with squads in O5, P4 with LMG and MMG. 9-2, HMG and HS in level 1 R6, a strong presence in T6/U6, a 6-5-8 LMG in Y6 to cover the one entry hex, 6-5-8 in M7, 2-2-8 Psk in M8. Stug in R8, Werbelwind in Q6 and the 105 HIP in P8.

Americans came on almost entirely in I1 with a small force moving from X3 down my right flank. The SWs in O5 and P4 plus the HMG caused a few delays as he traversed the left flank hills. The M36 was slow coming up in support and the US had little luck laying smoke. Squad on my right flank broke and fell back to X8 where an 8-0 ran along and rallied it. US evenutally established a strong presence on Hill 534 which stopped me moving squads back to O10 which was obviously his main target.

I let the 6-5-8 and 8-0 get trapped in W9. Broke one 7-4-7 and advanced into W8 to kill another. I had a concealed leader so hoped for ambush and a 2-1 as he was pinned. Failed ambush. Failed roll. Died. :(

Moved the Stug out of the woods into R7 to face the M36 on the hill and hit the 9-2 stack there. Took out the M36 and a CH on the stack caused a few problems. However a 7-4-7 and leader laiden down with PFs and Baz made into S9 with a clear shot at the Stug side but the Werbel came to the rescue turning turret for a +4 shot which broke the squad and leader. Keeping rate reduced them and killed the leader and then the sniper stepped in to finish them off! Just a pile of SCWs left!

This cleared the right flank and let me move in support of the left. The 10-2 and 7-4-7 got to M10 adjacent to the other crew which had just malf'd it's Psk. Things weren't looking good there but the sniper stepped up and broke the squad which subsequently failed to rout and my crew advanced to deal with the 10-2. Stuck in Melee another 7-4-7 advanced in next turn to kill them off.

By now I'd had chance to bring up the Werbel to O9 to protect the building.

It was now turn 6 and the US just had to go for it. The 7-4-7 which made it adjacent to Q7 faced a 20FP in the woods. Snakes finished him off. Another squad made it to N9 to face the Werbel at point blank and another snakes took him out. This left the 10-2 and squad to assault into N10. By now I had a 6-5-8, 3-4-8, HMG and 9-2 in the building resulting in a 4MC which even the 10-2 couldn't stand. Both broke and the American attack came to an end.

I'd never even fired my 105...

I really enjoyed this game. My right flank had crumbled until the Werbel stepped in and then the sniper did his business. The Americans had bad luck with smoke, especially when trying to place it in a higher level which meant they struggled getting in to position on Hill 254. If I'd placed a full squad rather than a HS in R6 level 1 I'd have done even better with the HMG and 9-2.

All in all a recommended scenario.

Cheers

Andy