G16 SSR Terrain Transformation Overlays

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If anyone is so inclined to check this VASL adaptation with the physical components, I could use a set of eyes on this to check for errors. The scenario is G16 Alligator Creek. It uses boards 32 and 34.

Thanks.

Al

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I don't know that you want to include Be and Oc overlays as part of the board. Remember that when you place these overlays all hexes of the overlays, including hexes that extend beyond the board edges, are in play (G13.1, last sentence). I know that VASL handles this in the worst possible way (by truncating the overlays when there's no board underneath them) but including those overlays as part of the "board" just encourages people to forget that they actually still have to place the overlays. And since the overlays still need to be placed, why bother transforming the board that will be covered up?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know that you want to include Be and Oc overlays as part of the board. Remember that when you place these overlays all hexes of the overlays, including hexes that extend beyond the board edges, are in play (G13.1, last sentence). I know that VASL handles this in the worst possible way (by truncating the overlays when there's no board underneath them) but including those overlays as part of the "board" just encourages people to forget that they actually still have to place the overlays. And since the overlays still need to be placed, why bother transforming the board that will be covered up?
Good point well taken.

In this case I didn't think a player would be swimming his units north out to sea...much less off the physical map board (but still on the physical Ocean overlay). The set up has both sides using only hinterland hexes.

I haven't played the scenario though so maybe those ocean hexes do come into play?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bruce makes a point about how VASL handles Ocean and Beach overlays. The trick is to place bd00 where the overlay would overlap off board. Then drag and drop the Ocean overlay from the Overlay extension. At least I think that would work.

What I need to do is offer an ocean version of bd00.

Others have let me know that there's no way to crop the Ocean and Beach overlays in the Overlay extension. True. What I need to do is make some white overlays that you drag and drop into place to create the crop you want.

Also what I need to do is hear y'alls ideas on ways to handle Ocean and Beach overlays.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I compared your map with the one I just made using orchard overlays. 100% match. Nice job. Did you do this as a scenario/map specific overlay or a general transformation of woods to orchards?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did this as a scenario specific overlay. It will be in the Overlay extension so you'll just drag, drop, and nudge it into place. Thanks for double checking my work! Much appreciated.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I haven't played the scenario though so maybe those ocean hexes do come into play?
You're right; in this scenario the off-map hexes are irrelevant. I didn't look up the specifics of the scenario when I made my comment above.

Bruce makes a point about how VASL handles Ocean and Beach overlays. The trick is to place bd00 where the overlay would overlap off board. Then drag and drop the Ocean overlay from the Overlay extension. At least I think that would work.
The problem is that in some scenarios you need to place multiple additional boards in order to have all of the Oc overlays correctly visible. Multiple bd00 (or any other board, for that matter) can lead to problems with overlay placement (at least via the "old" method; maybe the "new" method makes that no longer an issue).

Also what I need to do is hear y'alls ideas on ways to handle Ocean and Beach overlays.
I have no idea if this is even possible, but it might be better if they are not treated as "overlays" at all, but rather as new, special "boards". Of course how you get them to overlay an existing regular board configuration would, I expect, be the key issue!

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
at least via the "old" method; maybe the "new" method makes that no longer an issue).
Although I prefer the old overlay method for most overlays, I prefer the new overlay method for beach and ocean. If necessary, I add a board zero, but it is not normally needed. To make the process easier, I put two counters on the "1-2" hexes cited for the overlay placement. These counters show up through the overlay as one places it.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These are now available in v2.03