G12.3 Beaching a Landing Craft

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm wondering if someone can help me understand the beaching process for a LC on an OCEAN/Beach hex, as described in G12.3. In the example below, it is the MPh for a Shohatsu LC heading towards the beach. It spends MP as declared in red.

G12.3 says I can beach my LC across a Beach-OCEAN hexside.

Question:Does that mean I...

a) can I beach as I enter hex N13 (and beach across the N13/N14 Beach-OCEAN hexside)?
b) or... do I need to spend a MP to enter N14 and then beach across that hexside?

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Reepicheep said:
a) can I beach as I enter hex N13 (and beach across the N13/N14 Beach-OCEAN hexside)?
b) or... do I need to spend a MP to enter N14 and then beach across that hexside?
I'll say a).

E5.23 says "Beaching can occur freely during the boat's MPh/APh if it is declared as it enters any land/water hex..." showing that you can do it from a water hex.

Moreover, G12.2 says "LC expend only MP, and cannot be carried/moved on(to) land...", showing that you're not even allowed to enter N14, and then G12.3 says "A Beached LC is still considered for all purposes to be in that Water Obstacle Location."

So, I think you can conclude with option a).

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If I can ask a followup question, being fairly new to LC and all they involve as well....

In this second example, the Shohatsu is thinking about plotting a course adjacent to a stone pier. In each pier hex, there is a 4-factor A-B Minefield (represented here in VASL using the A-T counters). This minefield can only possibly attack LC that spend a stop MP in an adjacent hex.

If however, I proceed according to the numbered path shown for 4MP spent, and beach on the K14/K15 hexside as I enter K14, am I considered to have spent a stop MP and therefore fall subject to the A-B Minefield attack?

G12.2 tells me LC do not (as a general rule) expend Stop MP, but one exception given is when "adjacent to a pier (13.731)". Then I look at 13.731 and am wondering if it's just a permissible clause... it reads... "A Mobile LC may spend a Stop MP in a water Location adjacent to a pier." (empahsis mine)

ie. Am I reading it rightly to say that if I just beach my LC on K13/K14, I am not spending a stop MP, and that the stop MP (and the resulting A-B attack) would apply only if I stopped in, say, K14 without beaching? The goal of the latter move being, perhaps, to unload directly on to the pier?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reepicheep said:
If however, I proceed according to the numbered path shown for 4MP spent, and beach on the K14/K15 hexside as I enter K14, am I considered to have spent a stop MP and therefore fall subject to the A-B Minefield attack?
I do not believe that a beaching LC is spending a stop MP. That was my intention while designing the scenario. I wanted the pier to be un-usable(unless cleared by the sappers).