Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
A marine unit in a cave entrance hex moves in to the cave counter hex. Can a Japanese unit in the cave shoot at the marine unit when it crosses the CA hexside of the cave?

G11.12 COVERED ARC: The arrow on each Cave counter indicates the direction of its CA, which differs significantly from a normal (C3.2) CA in that it comprises the cave's Entrance Hex plus the area between (and including) an extension of the two hexspines of that Cave counter's hex that touch the vertices of its CA Hexside.

G11.5 LOS: LOS to/from a cave is traced to/from the cave hex's center dot and the cave's level, but can exist only if traced entirely within that cave's CA (exclusive of its CA Hexside vertices only if the cave is IN a Depression; see B19.51). Hence no LOS exists between different caves in the same hex, nor between the Aerial and cave Location(s) of the same hex, nor between a cave and the above-ground Base-Level Location of its non-Depression hex. Barring other LOS obstructions, LOS may be traced within the CA of a cave in a non-Depression hex to/from an elevation lower than the cave's if its Entrance Hex contains no terrain (including a Crest Line) whose obstacle height along that LOS is > that cave's level.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am no expert on caves, however, I believe the cave's CA includes the hexside, so it should be able to snapshot when the marine unit moves across it.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I missed that. Obviously I don't take many snapshots. With that info, and given the marine unit is moving out of LOS within the cave's hex, I don't think it can be shot at by the units in the cave.

I will say that I think the cave is not at the proper level. I think M6 is level 3, with N5 at level 4. The cave would then need to be marked as level 3. If its CA was towards O5, O6 or N6 it could be at level 2.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Technically, the cave should not have any level marker. We used it anyway to help us remember the cave’s level and yes, it should have been three, but we played it correctly.