G.I. Combat

Twoblade

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks like Combat Mission with better graphics and real time play.

From site:

Tom Kent AI programmer for GIC. He had a little trouble with a panther tank while playing the game and this was the result!

*chuckles*

No demo yet to try...

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Isn't this the next generation of Close Combat? If so, I'm expecting very good things. Close Combat was a ground breaker in its day. I (and probably many others) consider the Close Combat series to be the last stepping stone to Combat Mission.

Being all for competition, I'm looking forward to this offering.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am a beta tester. I won at wargamer.com. I signed a N.D.A so I can't talk about the game.

But a Demo should be out in the next couple of weeks.

Headshot

Reaction score
oh i long for a copy of the original close combat, such a great game. But the question is close combat, RTS or genre-blender?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Headshot
oh i long for a copy of the original close combat, such a great game. But the question is close combat, RTS or genre-blender?
I could never get into that game. I own it only because back when Computer Gaming World had a kick ass wargaming section , I heard of a company that was going to make Squad Leader for the computer. That company lost the rights to make it but continued to develope the game anyways and year & a half later microsoft released Atomic Games game as Close Combat. A good game with good ideas and a good feeling just not great in my book. Combat Mission, was to me, the realization of Squad Leader for the computer. A old and young tactical wargamers' wet dream.

Last edited:

Triaxe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do believe the team making G.I Combat is the guys from Atomic games who made the Close Combat series. From the screenshots I've seen and from what I've read it looks to be a bit of both CC and CM mixed together.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lets just hope so I'm not getting my hopes up on this one.

When I first played Avanced Squad Leader computers were still a complex thing and the only thing being put out for it wargame wise was from SSI & SSG. And im talking games like No Greater Glory and Rommel: Battle for North Africa. It was more about thinking and not about quick decision making skills. Don't get me wrong, I love a good real time wargame ok BCTC comes to mind, But when it comes to tactical games real-time won't cut it not when you want a video game to have the depth of ASL a sit back and plan phase is what our hobby is all about to sit back and pat yourself on the back for that tiger you just took out. To hear your friend chat that your a dirty bastard and laugh without worrying that you might miss something.

I started out with computer wargames and went to tabletop board games and minitures, maybe that's why I think the way I do about real-time wargames especially ww2 real-time wargames