G-6 Rocket's Red Glare

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going to be playing this Saturday and I'm looking for an AAR or two on this one.

In spite of the fact that ROAR shows over 200 playings, I can't find a single AAR.

If any of you have an AAR, or pointers for the defence, I'd appreciate them.

Sam "Need all the help I can get" Belcher

Gunner

Ernest Borgnine of ASL
Reaction score
The biggest tip I can give you is that if you are the German don't roll boxcars on your first shot with your FlakPz like I did. :cry: Kind of hard to win that way. :oops:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Gunner. That should help. :?

The archived AAR was a help - thanks for that.

Sam

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a brief AAR of the game Dan Owsen and I played at Bulgefest. (For those of you not from Seattle, we get together every year around the second week of December for a "Bulgefest" and play Bulge scenarios.)

Click here to see My Defensive Setup. http://dicetower.com/images/RocketsRedGlare_Setup.gif

The Scenario: Rockets Red Glare - G6 - Published in the GENERAL volume 24 Number 6. The Germans have a 105 ART, a StuG III, and a Wirblewind (ooh, quad 20), 7 squads, and three leaders (including one 9-2). The Americans get 12 squads (747's), four leaders (including and 10-2 AND and 9-2!!!), and a 90L Tank Destroyer (M36B1 GMC). The Amis also have 4 PFs and FOUR bazookas (including two Baz 45's). The Americans can setup on the board edge (in buildings S1, T1, U1 and / or V1), or enter on turn one in hexes 3Y1 and/or 3I1. ROAR shows this as very balanced after more than 200 reported games.

Well, actually, I do have my setup saved in VASL format. So I'll describe it here in some detail. I'll also post the VASL setup on my website if you want to download it. Looking at this setup now, I realize that I didn't use the exact setup - perhaps I should have. (more on that later). The victory conditions state that the Amis win IMMEDIATELY when they control either Q7 or O10.

I had a couple of squads in building L4 to lay fire on the I1 entry hex (VASL shows this LOS is clear, but it is definitely blocked on the board we played on...) A couple of squads with the 9-2 and both the HMG and MMG in R5. Another squad with a PSK in Q6 and the Wirblewind in Q6 with VCA toward P7 and TCA toward R4. (SSR says no vehicle may setup IN a building - not that the Wirblewind could since it's open topped.) The 105 was HIP in P8 and the StuG was in R8. Both of these pointed toward S7... A squad or two in U8 and a squad in W8. I SHOULD have put the squad from W8 into Y6 instead (as is shown on my setup). It would have kept Dan honest on his turn of entry.

Dan setup some of his squads on board to keep me from bore sighting and entered the rest (along with the M36 - which cannot setup on board) at Y1. Because I had no one guarding that flank, Dan raced around the hill and had squads clear across the board (X8, X9) by turn 2. Dan's squads surged across the street and into the S3 building and T3 IIRC.

The rest of the game was pretty much a brutal slug fest with me getting die rolls when I needed them. I was sweating on turn two or three, but I managed to break / kill large number of Amis and Dan never really managed to bring his firepower to bear.

It’s the first time I've played this scenario and I would do it again. But it's also the first time I've heard of the Wirblewind surviving till the end of the game! (I really expected him to get nailed with all those SCW out there.)

Dan Owsen adds this comment:

Sam forgot to mention that I got two HOB results from two broken HS in the same hex in one rally phase, creating two heroes. They died trying to bazooka the Wirblewind. Oh well.

Oh yeah, and Sam cheats. :)

Now Sam again:
Good scenario though. Someone said it favors the Americans but I don't see how. It's not uneven though and I would play it again.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AFAIK there is no PDF of this scenario. I don't know how you'll get your hands on this one. Ask MMP for permission to copy it?