FURY's AAMGs

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just repped Blackcloud for a coherent and beautiful explanation.

AND...I liked the movie despite flaws. They tried their best to get things right.

AS to US soldiers killing POWs...I'm fairly sure that some unit diaries were not entirely accurate....and I'm also sure that when our guys saw SS troops, they had little sympathy for them so it might be ugly to see the good guys ie US troops act less than within the laws of Land warfare..I'm sure it happened and that the chain of command looked the other way (heck participated) in some form or another. AND the SS troops specifically did 10 bad things for every 1 bad thing we did...

There, is that enough out of both ends of my mouth for the day?

Mark DV
In many of the books I have read on WWII, numerous times it was mentioned of not taking prisoners. It makes sense if you are on an attack clearing out buildings one after another, what would you do with the prisoner?. You take him prisoner and now you have to watch him while you're still trying to clear out the next building. Almost all of the times I read of this were from books taken from someone's personal memoirs of the war. Never read about it in a Steven Ambrose or Cornelius Ryan book.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shaped charges are an interesting subject. Back in the late 90s I was able to take some classes on this subject at the Royal College of Military Science at Shrivenham in the UK. Some of the classes were taught by Dr. Manfred Held from Germany who spent a lifetime studying the shaped charge.

An interesting facet is that if you flatten the copper liner into a plate with a shallow curve you will get an Explosively Formed Penetrator which can be nasty to lightly armored vehicles at close range.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Saw it tonight, what a crappy movie :angry:

A bizarre mix of Private Ryan on wheels with Inglorious Bastards, with Brad Pitt as self-proclaimed war criminal

Even the action scenes are mediocre, with the last one grotesque as much as one can be. The dumb-and-nasty SS forget their PF/PSK/ATMM and conveniently charge japanese-style, of course always in the CA of the Tank. And when they shoot one PF, there is a dud. Laughable

View attachment 47731

Ok the vehicles are nice, but this is far from sufficient.

Kurt Meyer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
it was a great movie other than the storyline, the characters, the predictability, the love scene, the terrible tactics used by both sides, the over acting, the cliche heroism, the way it made the U.S. army look like a gang of murderers. Enough mud already. We know it's muddy. Getting shot three times in the chest by a k98 and carrying on a calm conversation? The battle with the Tiger may have been the only decent part of the movie. What a waste of time, but of course you have to see it.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The worst part of the movie was the way they made the US infantry and tankers look like war criminals and go on shooting the poor little SS Nazis. When in fact the German SS and Wehrmacht were pretty much guilty of many many murders from 1939 to 1945 inflicted on Polish, French, British, US and the German war of extermination against the Russians and to a smaller extent the Jews, only 6 million Jews were killed where as 27-30 million Russians were killed by the Germans (yes, the SS and more importantly the Wehrmacht).

But those not knowing history will come away thinking how the poor SS were killed. :angry:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The movie doesn't say WHY soldiers might want shoot SS on sight, so you need some historical knowledge to know why. There is an incident, however, when a town surrenders, where Wardaddy asks the town mayor "is that the SS officer who was hanging your children". When the mayor gives the affirmative, Wardaddy shoots the SS officer.

Kurt Meyer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would expect a better portrayal of the U.S. army. Using your logic the Germans had the right to commit atrocities against the Russians who surrendered because of the war crimes committed in the baltic states, Poland, and to their own people??? I should hope that we hold ourselves to a higher standard. We were the good guys, right? Thank god I know that our veterans were better men than the animals portrayed in that movie. But with or without the murder of prisoners in your care, the movie was still a terrible disappointment on so many levels.

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would expect a better portrayal of the U.S. army. Using your logic the Germans had the right to commit atrocities against the Russians who surrendered because of the war crimes committed in the baltic states, Poland, and to their own people??? I should hope that we hold ourselves to a higher standard. We were the good guys, right? Thank god I know that our veterans were better men than the animals portrayed in that movie. But with or without the murder of prisoners in your care, the movie was still a terrible disappointment on so many levels.
l liked the film partly because it did not sweep allied war crimes under the carpet. All sides shoot prisoners. German tank crews had a particularly bad time living after being captured because they wore black and the allies saw black and thought SS. For this ti happen the SS must have been almost shot on sight.

Any war film brave enough to confront this gets a big thumbs up from me. The film concentrated on the men both US and German and not the politics. Yes the Germans did far far worse but they will not all evil just like not every allied soldier was a fair fighting saint.