Fury Review

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Fury is out on cable now in my house so I just caught the last third or so. Tank disabled at a crossroads. SS company or battalion approaching. Tank crew decides to stay and fight it out. Crock of sh#t. They should have headed for the trees, leaving behind a few booby-trapped German bodies. These Nazis had crates of panzerfausts, which just didn't seem to work very well. And, as has been noted, Wardaddy does just fine with three torso hits from a sniper. In other words, this appears to be an unrealistic war film. But I'll look for the rest of it because I'd like to see that Tiger.
It's a pretty bad commander who is going to sacrifice his crew for one immobilized Sherman. The crossroads didn't even seem important

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have spoken with many WWII vets. If they surrounded Germans, and they gave them a chance to surrender, and they didn't, well...it just wasn't ending well for them. Sorry ladies, it wasn't pretty.
A family friend is a WWII vet who served in the 4th Armored. He is 89 years old and still doing well for a man who was shot in the war. He doesn't talk about it much but I recently got him to talk a little about his time. He is a short guy about 5' 7" and I asked him if he was a tanker and he said no he was just an infantry replacement. He said he rode on tanks plenty of times but he preferred open topped vehicles like the halftrack. He said he would never ride inside anything that didn't have an open roof and he said very adamantly that as soon as the shooting started you got the hell off of whatever you were riding on. He also said the small firecrackers people light off around the 4th of July don't bother him as he can sleep through that but the big fireworks really upset him as he said they remind him too much of artillery. Something to consider if you live near a vet during a holiday with fireworks.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
We have (or had) lots of vets in my hometown. I remember one that always used to scare me because his leg wasn't there. They never were bothered by us kids and our fireworks and guns though.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a pretty bad commander who is going to sacrifice his crew for one immobilized Sherman. The crossroads didn't even seem important
Must of missed the plot line where they were the only defense to the company HQ was down the road. The scene when he was talking to the Captain in the farmhouse.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have (or had) lots of vets in my hometown. I remember one that always used to scare me because his leg wasn't there. They never were bothered by us kids and our fireworks and guns though.
Michigan changed its fireworks laws a couple years ago and now anyone can get large mortar type fireworks. Some people are just idiots and decide to light these off in residential areas where they disturb vets and babies and drive dogs crazy. Basically, a case of the poor judgement of the few screwing up the celebrations of the many. Some of these things are powerful-the neighbors set one off that knocked a picture off the wall from the concussion! And of course we have a few deaths every year from intoxicated fireworks handling.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And of course we have a few deaths every year from intoxicated fireworks handling.
Sounds like Darwin stepped in just in time. Reminds me of the old joke - "What's the last thing the redneck said before he died? Hey Y'All watch this."

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Michigan changed its fireworks laws a couple years ago and now anyone can get large mortar type fireworks. Some people are just idiots and decide to light these off in residential areas where they disturb vets and babies and drive dogs crazy. Basically, a case of the poor judgement of the few screwing up the celebrations of the many. Some of these things are powerful-the neighbors set one off that knocked a picture off the wall from the concussion! And of course we have a few deaths every year from intoxicated fireworks handling.
I did all of that growing up but we had the space to do it. I don't think anyone got hurt as far as I can remember.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did all of that growing up but we had the space to do it. I don't think anyone got hurt as far as I can remember.
Same here. The worse that happened with us was setting a dead pine tree on fire that quickly spread to the surrounding brush. Had to call the fire department for that one. Fireworks were fine back then when we had space but where we live now a quarter acre lot is pretty standard and a third of an acre is considered expansive-big fireworks just don't have a place.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
We have a bunch of people at the end of the street who blow off major fireworks every year and it's not legal. But they're lawyers so they act with impunity. I don't mind since they're far enough away.

What I really don't like is what happens before the fireworks. They all break out their old guitars and drums and pretend they can play rock music - stuff like Led Zep, but really bad. The worst part is the one-hour warmup.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Same here. The worse that happened with us was setting a dead pine tree on fire that quickly spread to the surrounding brush. Had to call the fire department for that one. Fireworks were fine back then when we had space but where we live now a quarter acre lot is pretty standard and a third of an acre is considered expansive-big fireworks just don't have a place.
It's all about the space you have plus the acceptable conventions. I'm sure the circle out in the woods where everyone would party is the same place our parents used to go, and their parents, and so on. Kind of like Dazed and Confused, which is one of the most realistic and un-Hollywood movies ever made.
Fireworks were lots of fun when you had a long road. My favorite were sending bottle rockets down the road, or launching them out of a PVC pipe. You could change the trajectory or even cause it to angle if you bent the stick a certain way. Lots of fun!

We had a lot of veterans living around but we got along with them fine. I think it's all a matter of common courtesy. My time in urban hell showed me how annoying people can be, so I know just what you're talking about.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I do like tanks, and they say the tiger is for real. That's worth a look but only at Netflix prices.
that is Tiger 134 from Bovington Tank museum, the obly fully complete and running Tiger in the world, the film producers had to work lots of magic on the owners of the Tank museum to allow it to be used. so what you see in the film, is a real Tiger (she was the first ever captured by the allies in ww2, Tunisia early 43).

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is what I was saying. If you're saying the U.S. Army dismisses the Hague Convention when dealing with legitimate ruse d'guerre - there are probably many chapters of the Hague Convention that are (or have been) interpreted with a wide latitude.
Don is not saying that at all, but you try to make the separation from a 'Ruse d'gurre' and someone who is wearing an enemy uniform as a spy or just becuase he is cold and his coat as the bullets start to fly, or do you expect that once the men trying to carry out the 'Ruse d'guerre' have been made, that you allow them to remove the uniforms before you open up?.........nope you would just shoot them, pure and simple, as by then they are no longer trying to perform a ruse digeurre as they have been rumbled and are now simply enemy soldiers wearing your uiniform and are as such bloosy spies!. end of story, case closed.

oh and all sides shot POW during ww2, we in the west get all squirmy and try to underplay it as we won, but we did our fair share.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
There are some youtube videos where vets talk about shooting POW's. Sometimes because they were just too tired to walk them back. They would make them walk behind a house and shoot them and then get in the chow line. The US starved POWs to death after the war. The Allies firebombed cities full of non-combattants. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble about how fair they think war is.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All things being equal, I'd rather Surrender to the Americans.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You can tell by his signature line that he's not here for intelligent, respectful discussion. This blurb from the website he linked to tells you all you need to know about him:

Founded in 1978 by Willis Carto, a longtime anti-Semite, the Institute for Historical Review (IHR) is a pseudo-academic organization that claims to seek "truth and accuracy in history," but whose real purpose is to promote Holocaust denial and defend Nazism.