Functioning M4A1 auctioned

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Unfortunately, this variant never saw combat as a battle tank. I believe some were turned into observation post tanks for the artillery. It looks nearly identical to the US M4A1, but the dry pin tracks and the unique drive sprocket give it away. They used one or two of these in Band of Brothers.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Out of curiousity, what was the asking price?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: The Tiger {To buy this tank, you have to be crazy!} - Moriarty

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ask the guy who had one pulled out of his basement, I guess....

I have heard of that story before and I loved it... 🤣
The extra fun part is, that he also kept a FlaK 18 in 'his basement'.

It seems, though, that the authorities have overlooked the trap-door that leads to the Bernsteinzimmer.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In Germany it is illegal to own a tank. If you drive a tank down a road the police cannot stop you - the tank armour is regarded as a weapon. Take the armour off and you are OK - but then it is not a tank. He could have it back if he agreed to having the armour removed - but who would do that?

In Germany all military museums diplaying tanks are on army bases - the army being the only people who can legally own this stuff.

Maybe he could have driven it to Poland and kept it there :)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have heard of that story before and I loved it... 🤣
The extra fun part is, that he also kept a FlaK 18 in 'his basement'.

It seems, though, that the authorities have overlooked the trap-door that leads to the Bernsteinzimmer.

von Marwitz
Now that's gotta be one heck of a basement!o_O:D

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
In Germany it is illegal to own a tank.
Not exactly. You can own a tank, you have to disarm it permanently. After that, it´s only a super-heavy tracked or wheeled vehicle.

If you drive a tank down a road the police cannot stop you - the tank armour is regarded as a weapon. Take the armour off and you are OK - but then it is not a tank. He could have it back if he agreed to having the armour removed - but who would do that?
Never heard about something like that!? Correct is, you need a driving license for tracked vehicles (truck license for wheeled AFVs) and i´m not sure if you can get it as a civillian. Also you need a special permition to drive your (tracked) AFV on public roads... and THAT is almost impossible to get. So you´re bound to private roads/ ground to move your tank around.

In Germany all military museums diplaying tanks are on army bases - the army being the only people who can legally own this stuff.
Naaah. The German Panzermuseum, for example, is not on an army base.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not exactly. You can own a tank, you have to disarm it permanently. After that, it´s only a super-heavy tracked or wheeled vehicle.

Never heard about something like that!? Correct is, you need a driving license for tracked vehicles (truck license for wheeled AFVs) and i´m not sure if you can get it as a civillian. Also you need a special permition to drive your (tracked) AFV on public roads... and THAT is almost impossible to get. So you´re bound to private roads/ ground to move your tank around.

Naaah. The German Panzermuseum, for example, is not on an army base.
Michael,

Hate to tell you this - but I heard all of the above information from the German guide at the Deutsche Panzermuseum in Munster. That museum is on army property and next to what he called "the puma park" - the site of the Bundeswehr armoured formations.

The Koblenz museum was army as well, they just let the public in - best 4 euro's I have ever spent :)

I am going to be disappointed if that guide was wrong.................

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Michael,

Hate to tell you this - but I heard all of the above information from the German guide at the Deutsche Panzermuseum in Munster. That museum is on army property and next to what he called "the puma park" - the site of the Bundeswehr armoured formations.

The Koblenz museum was army as well, they just let the public in - best 4 euro's I have ever spent :)

I am going to be disappointed if that guide was wrong.................
I think we are talking the same thing here, with a small missleading detail. The museum is on army (i.e. federal) property, right. But it´s not on the base, so visitors can access it freely. If it were on a base, you had to go through the security check etc.