FT266 A Fine Mess... - AAR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

1940 Western front action that pits German defenders vs. 5 French S-35 Souma tanks supported by infantry. The Germans initially have 2x Pak 35/36, a 50mm MTR, and 2x ATR to fend them off. Later, 3x Pz38(t)A arrive.

The stuggle against these French tanks is one of the main excitements of this scenario. As the German you know, that your chances are slim to affect them - but you have to keep trying. As there is a 'sudden death' victory condition if 3 of the French tanks die, this will keep the French on their toes.

In the end, my Germans managed to win by knocking out 3 French tanks. The last of these moved up to a Pz38(t)A and parked there at double point blank range with his frontal AF6 and 47Gun (TK12 at that range) against my frontal AF3 and 37L gun (TK10 at that range) in French turn 6. My tankers went white with fear, but fired as hell, keeping ROF two times and getting Multiple hits on the third shot. They hit every time, the shells bouncing off. The second Multiple Hit roll did the trick and finally killed the tank...

Boy, you saw some relief on the faces of those German tankers!

Fun to play!

von Marwitz

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 12579

1940 Western front action that pits German defenders vs. 5 French S-35 Souma tanks supported by infantry. The Germans initially have 2x Pak 35/36, a 50mm MTR, and 2x ATR to fend them off. Later, 3x Pz38(t)A arrive.

The stuggle against these French tanks is one of the main excitements of this scenario. As the German you know, that your chances are slim to affect them - but you have to keep trying. As there is a 'sudden death' victory condition if 3 of the French tanks die, this will keep the French on their toes.

In the end, my Germans managed to win by knocking out 3 French tanks. The last of these moved up to a Pz38(t)A and parked there at double point blank range with his frontal AF6 and 47Gun (TK12 at that range) against my frontal AF3 and 37L gun (TK10 at that range) in French turn 6. My tankers went white with fear, but fired as hell, keeping ROF two times and getting Multiple hits on the third shot. They hit every time, the shells bouncing off. The second Multiple Hit roll did the trick and finally killed the tank...

Boy, you saw some relief on the faces of those German tankers!

Fun to play!

von Marwitz
What is the other VC?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
What is the other VC?
Provided the Germans have not Captured/eliminated greater or equal to 3 French AFV (which results in an immediate German victory), the French win at game end if they have amassed greater or equal to 7 VP. The French receive VP (not CVP) for German prisoners, for each building on board 11 and each AFV/Gun eliminated.

von Marwitz

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah! I always like casualty cap scenarios. They keep you on your toes.
My play as the German saw it end on the immediate victory condition where my 8-0 leader placed a DC on the deck of an S-35 to eliminate it for the third destroyed French AFV. Good fun.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My play as the German saw it end on the immediate victory condition where my 8-0 leader placed a DC on the deck of an S-35 to eliminate it for the third destroyed French AFV. Good fun.
I had something similar in mind for the DC, but as the French took out a position that was covering one flank of the approach to the central building, my defending unit inside had to throw the DC at some "volunteer-HS" (which it blew up to smithereens) and to place the all important 12 Residual FP into the uncovered hex. The French 9-1 and 458 following up were unimpressed. Nor were my 12RFP by their valor: The 9-1 was wounded, the 458 broken, and the house was held for another turn.

von Marwitz