FT116_ Meet the Madsens

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Opponent and i are having trouble getting this set up. We can get the maps & overlays in place but when I place my counters and then send it to my opponent, the counters move between the hexes.

Does anyone know what we are doing wrong? We are both using VASL 6.4.2.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
> We are both using VASL 6.4.2.

Can you prove this via the text that appears in the chat window and/or a screenshot of the About window? It's helpful to rule out the obvious and I've been helping people with their computers for too long to just take people at their word, sorry.

You can also try sending along your save file and I can see if it jumps for me.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Attached is what my opponent sees when he opens the log that I send him. earlier today i had loaded 6.4.0 and tries that as a set up but got the same results.

I am thinking at bare minimum that we are having many conflicts with extensions.

Attachments

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
You, my friend, have a lot of duplicate and obsolete extensions. :)

So I see it complaining that you have v6.3 of board 8 and that your buddy has v6.4 of board 8.

How far do the counters move when they move? The usual suspect for counter moving is when the save file was pre... 6.2 (?) and we added the extra whitespace around the boards.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You, my friend, have a lot of duplicate and obsolete extensions. :)

So I see it complaining that you have v6.3 of board 8 and that your buddy has v6.4 of board 8.

How far do the counters move when they move? The usual suspect for counter moving is when the save file was pre... 6.2 (?) and we added the extra whitespace around the boards.

You are reading it backwards. That is my opponents chat log. I sent him an e-mail about which extensions to keep and such and I had him manually update his boards but still the same.

here is a pic that he sent me of what the map looks like when he opens the file. It is only a partial...

Attachments

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
OK, so just a smidge, not the 200 odd pixel offset from the borders... Gonna PM you my email so you can shoot me the log and I can see if anything happens?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Board gurus, it looks like the problem is similar to when a cropped board didn't have the center dots aligned correctly. On some of the sample saves he sent, I couldn't move a stack into the center of the hex, it was always snapping to a bypass location. They sync'ed their boards to be the latest on both sides but that didn't seem to help. Any instinct on what might be going on?

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A couple of ideas. First, both player should remove ALL extensions. Do this by changing the extension location in the preferences to an empty folder. Second, figure out why the automatic board updates are not working. It could be a problem with rights to your board folder, or something weird like that. Finally, create a new game from scratch and see if it still happens.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My opponent uninstalled his VASL and did a complete re-install. So far both VASL files (2 separate games) have worked smoothly. I suspected it was on his end as his map boards were not updating automatically, that has been resolved.

We have not tried the original game that started this whole thing but will do that and post what that result is. Thanks for the help so far.