FT101 - Fire and Ice

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this fun scenario with Vince Lewonski at Jim Brackin's annual Bunker Bash. It's always a pleasure to see Jim and the gang there and Jim organizes a terrific get-together.

I was the attacking Germans in Yugoslavia in winter, 1943. 6 SS 468 with two Flame Char-B's attack along a ridge/village on Board 15 with seven wehrmacht 467's with two french 8 MF/37* "tanks" coming from the opposite direction. In between are 9 337's (two HIP) with two MMG's and a 37L ATG. Plus two partisan groups each of 5 more 337s enter turn 1. The germans need three SE (at least two non-SS) to GO in the center by turn 6 without going over 21 CVP.

Vince set up both MMG with leaders facing the Wehrmacht, with only some delaying squads (including both Hipsters) vs the SS. He played a strong game of delay and causing CVP's when he had he chance. The SS rolled over their area but lost a flame tank to a 127 HS with a MOL and another to a CH by the ATG (9TK vs circle 8 armor doesn't sound bad, but it went right through the grill). The wehrrmacht side lost a couple squads to a deadly series of snakes and 3s by the MMGs, but managed to push forward along the board edge. We both had a SAN of 5 and must rolled a dozen activations, but the only non-sniper damage was a broken 247 hs. Vince brought on both groups of reinforcements on the far edge of my pushes, reinforcing the center near the ATG. In the end Vince charged a 337 at a non-flame tank It went fanatic on a 2 MC, and then killed the tank in CC to push me over the CVP cap.

I like the scenario as there is good re-playability with lots of choices to make for both the attack and defense. With Vince's win, ROAR is now 11 to 17 in favor of the Partisan. Maybe a small balance tweak would be to only have one HIP defender.

We payed through 5 turns in ~5 hours.

Paul