FT INOR 6 First Counterattack AAR

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This was the second of three scenarios depicting the fight for Inor in May 1940 between the French and Germans. After having taken Inor with a daring attack and fortifying the village on 15 May, the French attempted to counterattack on 16 May and take the village back. The scenario depicts the attempts of the 74ème Régiment d’Infanterie and 36ème Régiment d’Infanterie to take the village defended by the 196. Infanterie-Regiment armed with a Panzerabwehrkanone 35/36 37mm. The action is located on a small part of the glorious Inor map. The French have 5 turns to wrest control of the village from the Germans. I defended with the Germans and Johan attacked with the French. It looked like a small, straightforward village battle.
  • French advantages: First line MMCs, MGs, good leadership, Civilian Interrogation
    French disadvantages: Open ground, 10 CVP cap
  • German advantages: 37mm AT gun with HE, roadblock/wire counter, French CVP cap
    German disadvantages: Many buildings to defend, French only need 3 to win
Start of Game: My German defences would be stretched to defend all the buildings. I tried to cover the main routes of attack through open ground with my machine guns and the HIP 37mm AT gun in G51. I originally intended to make the French pay dearly for crossing open ground and hopefully cause enough CVPs to keep the French cautious. I also used my extra concealment counters to keep the French guessing where my machine guns were placed initially. One foxhole counter was used for a rout path in J50 and the other one in D52 to provide extra cover for a squad in the woods covering the open ground. I chose a wire counter to place in I50. The French attacked from the south through the woods and brush, and east through over the hill.

Start of Turn 3: The French had assembled their mortar in R54 and promptly rolled a critical hit on my main defensive line in F52 causing considerable damage before rolling box cars to malfunction. The French had pushed intelligently through the brush in the south west and even manged to cross much open ground in the south west without the Germans being able to inflict any real casualties. Things were looking pretty grim for the Germans at this stage. There was a wave of French infantry looking to swamp the German defences and there were still 3 French turns to go.

End of Game: After valiantly trying to cause some damage to the French in the final German Prep Fire Phase, I conceded the game. The French already had the required 3 buildings and had only lost a single HS to German fire. The French attacked well and I literally had no answer. The dice really didn’t help me either. We both rolled 64 DRs each: the French averaged 6.84 and the Germans 7.89. This is the challenge with a small scenario. In a larger battle, I’m sure our DRs would have become more even, but not in such a short game. Sigh, the inherent dicey nature of short scenarios. This was a small scenario, playable in one easy setting. It took us less than 3 hours. However, there was not much exciting for the Germans to do, just stand and defend with occasional skulking.

Any tips for making the defence better would be much appreciated.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
Thanks for the aar !
It is the smallest scenario of the pack, so it is inherently dicey. Your defense looks good, the French should have paid dearly for the attack in the open ground.
lionel

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks for the confirmation about the defence plan! We're playing FT INOR 12 Reation this week so look out for the AAR. It looks to be a more interesting defensive challenge.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the AAR! Played this one a couple of months ago. I entered on the right,
and caught the German completely flat footed. Still, it was a close match.

I have one question: should the AT Gun have started hidden? I dont think it can be emplaced
on a paved orchard-road.

I don’t have the scen in front of me, so it may well be an SSR. I apologise if it is.

indy

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Indeed, I believe you're right 👍

A12.34 states that a gun must be emplaced to set up HIP. C11.2 states that emplacement is not allowed on a paved road. My mistake was to assume that a hex containing both a paved and dirt road allows emplacement. However, B3.1 states that a road hex containing both paved and dirt roads is considered a paved road. Thus my HIP set up was illegal.

I should have set up my gun in a pure orchard hex or a building to receive the HIP advantage. No scenario SSR changed this. 🤓

Thank you so much for asking the question. Much appreciated 🙏

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks for the aar !
It is the smallest scenario of the pack, so it is inherently dicey. Your defense looks good, the French should have paid dearly for the attack in the open ground.
lionel
Unfortunately, I couldn't make them pay ;) BTW, many thanks 🙏 to the LFT team for making the scenario setups available on their website. This really speeds up the preparation process when playing a scenario. Excellent stuff!

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This was the second of three scenarios depicting the fight for Inor in May 1940 between the French and Germans. After having taken Inor with a daring attack and fortifying the village on 15 May, the French attempted to counterattack on 16 May and take the village back. The scenario depicts the attempts of the 74ème Régiment d’Infanterie and 36ème Régiment d’Infanterie to take the village defended by the 196. Infanterie-Regiment armed with a Panzerabwehrkanone 35/36 37mm. The action is located on a small part of the glorious Inor map. The French have 5 turns to wrest control of the village from the Germans. I defended with the Germans and Johan attacked with the French. It looked like a small, straightforward village battle.
  • French advantages: First line MMCs, MGs, good leadership, Civilian Interrogation
  • German advantages: 37mm AT gun with HE, roadblock/wire counter, French CVP cap
View attachment 23283
Start of Game: My German defences would be stretched to defend all the buildings. I tried to cover the main routes of attack through open ground with my machine guns and the HIP 37mm AT gun in G51. I originally intended to make the French pay dearly for crossing open ground and hopefully cause enough CVPs to keep the French cautious. I also used my extra concealment counters to keep the French guessing where my machine guns were placed initially. One foxhole counter was used for a rout path in J50 and the other one in D52 to provide extra cover for a squad in the woods covering the open ground. I chose a wire counter to place in I50. The French attacked from the south through the woods and brush, and east through over the hill.

View attachment 23284
Start of Turn 3: The French had assembled their mortar in R54 and promptly rolled a critical hit on my main defensive line in F52 causing considerable damage before rolling box cars to malfunction. The French had pushed intelligently through the brush in the south west and even manged to cross much open ground in the south west without the Germans being able to inflict any real casualties. Things were looking pretty grim for the Germans at this stage. There was a wave of French infantry looking to swamp the German defences and there were still 3 French turns to go.

View attachment 23285
End of Game: After valiantly trying to cause some damage to the French in the final German Prep Fire Phase, I conceded the game. The French already had the required 3 buildings and had only lost a single HS to German fire. The French attacked well and I literally had no answer. The dice really didn’t help me either. We both rolled 64 DRs each: the French averaged 6.84 and the Germans 7.89. This is the challenge with a small scenario. In a larger battle, I’m sure our DRs would have become more even, but not in such a short game. Sigh, the inherent dicey nature of short scenarios. This was a small scenario, playable in one easy setting. It took us less than 3 hours. However, there was not much exciting for the Germans to do, just stand and defend with occasional skulking.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 23283

View attachment 23284

View attachment 23285

What are the setup restrictions for the Germans and how many mgs?