FT 221 & Armored Cupolas

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So the scenario has two armored cupolas...which normally can place fire lanes (this by virtue of being manned by Infantry crews) [D9.54, see the comparison clause with dug-in tank there for the why and why nots].

However, in this scenario the armored cupolas by SSR have 1-2-7 crews. Would this then deny the cupola the ability to place a FL?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Are 127 crews automatically vehicular crews? Does it not depend upon situation? Like in RB; you can purchase certain SW with 127 crews.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
D5.1 kicks in unless an SSR says otherwise...which it does not in this case, best I see it.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
D5.1 says a "A vehicular crew counter has all the capability of an infantry crew counter....."

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
D5.1 does not mention that 127 crews are automatically vehicular crews.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given they have a crew counter, they can lay firelanes. If it was a dug in tank, it would only have an inherent crew so no firelanes.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are 127 crews automatically vehicular crews? Does it not depend upon situation? Like in RB; you can purchase certain SW with 127 crews.
I believe they are. And that is also why they appear in Chapter D. Also see Index under "Vehicular Crew" which sites D5.1, as well as the 1 FP as an indicator of such.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Given they have a crew counter, they can lay firelanes. If it was a dug in tank, it would only have an inherent crew so no firelanes.
Plausible. But not Confirmed as the Mythbusters might say.

If you look at that bit about dug-in tanks I note above you will see that it is the fact that an armored cupola is normally 'equipped' with an Infantry* crew that gives it that ability to lay a fire lane, the rules express this as the rationale for allowing FL from cupolas. That in this scenario they are now 'equipped' with a non-infantry crew which still leaves me wondering. By the way those rules are written about cupolas and dug-ins it is the type of crew that allows the FL it seems to me, not the platform itself.