From Start to Finnish: ASLSK at Ten

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Enjoyed reading the first article. I have heard many players say that it is hard for them to remember the differences between SK and ASL and I think the problem is that people lump everything in together. If you have your Starter Kit stuff, and that includes Charts and Vehicle Notes, separate from your regular ASL trove you don't have to constantly puzzle out what is and is not included. When you're playing at the SK level use just what's in the box. You want to dm a SW, well, you don't have a counter for it in SK so you can't do it. Wondering about Concealment? You don't have any of those either. Fire lanes? Ditto.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
may be a word about the Jim Stahler's great work "eight steps to ASL" is lacking.

Some learned the game one small bite at time, following the instructions of that article appeared in a General.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
may be a word about the Jim Stahler's great work "eight steps to ASL" is lacking.

Some learned the game one small bite at time, following the instructions of that article appeared in a General.
Good point, glad you reminded me Enrico. I have the original version in ASL Annual 90. I will mention it in the endnotes.

Is the article still copyright protected? If not, I would like to make it available with a link to Dropbox. (I see the version in the General is accessible on the VffT website.)

Grazie,

Chris

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Enjoyed reading the first article. I have heard many players say that it is hard for them to remember the differences between SK and ASL and I think the problem is that people lump everything in together. If you have your Starter Kit stuff, and that includes Charts and Vehicle Notes, separate from your regular ASL trove you don't have to constantly puzzle out what is and is not included. When you're playing at the SK level use just what's in the box. You want to dm a SW, well, you don't have a counter for it in SK so you can't do it. Wondering about Concealment? You don't have any of those either. Fire lanes? Ditto.
Thanks for the feedback Blair.

Lumping the counters together is part of the problem. But there are plenty of rules that are not signalled by the absence of a counter. Voluntary Break is but one example. Late Double Time is another.

I also have a hard time switching back and forth from the ASLSK and ASL TH Tables. Maybe it's just me. :(

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
(...) Is the article still copyright protected? (...)
I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure that it was free and available for the download on the MMP site years ago.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure that it was free and available for the download on the MMP site years ago.
I didn't know that. I will put together a pdf of the original version, and make it available for download on Sitrep.

The next post in this series is scheduled to publish at midnight EST.

Ciao,

Chris

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
great job Chris

good insights and observations

in the end, it has to be about getting new players into the system

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Thanks Chris!

Read both and enjoyed doing so.

:)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
great job Chris

good insights and observations

in the end, it has to be about getting new players into the system
Thanks Chris!

Read both and enjoyed doing so.

Thanks for reading guys.

Agreed re getting new players into The Game. My hope that the articles will help publicize ASL a bit more.

Part 3 is scheduled to publish later this evening, at midnight EST.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"A pair of 11mm (7/16”) plastic dice included with the Kit"

Remember, unless you are using official SK-provided 11mm dice, the game doesn't really count. ;)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Remember, unless you are using official SK-provided 11mm dice, the game doesn't really count. ;)
I'll have to remember that the next time my wife dices me at ASLSK. :(

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

i donno

seems there is an idea there for some SK Battledice

:p

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Mine are not precision (can't afford them), but mine are 16mm (1/2). I would not like anything smaller, too hard to read with my old aged eyes...lol (yeah I like 12 and 14 point fonts too, although my youthful and sexy appearance belies that...lol)

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Thanks for the scenario suggestion update for use with SK#2!