From MMP counter art to Mila 18 NoNsEnsE

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So, my old German / Russian counters are looking really tired and I was thinking of replacing them.

What's going on with MMP's counter art? If I buy the new BV how different is it from the original counters? I have seen the Starter Kit counters and they look good - bigger for tired eyes. Are the new BV counters the same style?

Do all the re-issues have these bigger counters?

Many thanks for any help / pictures 👍

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think it wa BV 3rd edition that bumped up the counter art. It's still true to the original but the quality if printing and cutting is now do much better. When you look at them side by side, it's clear that the cost of replacement is worth it.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Counter size won't change, as the rules speak in many places of 1/2" and 5/8" counters.
Yes but Americans can be pretty flexible with measurements. We still refer to the standard piece of lumber as a 2 by 4 even though it hasn't measured two inches by four inches for decades. It's much closer to one and a half inches by three and a half inches.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Some of the later printings also corrected some counters that were incorrect in earlier printings, and also filles out the blank counters with something more useful.

Somewhere here on GS there's a post where I have listed the changes.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Yes but Americans can be pretty flexible with measurements. We still refer to the standard piece of lumber as a 2 by 4 even though it hasn't measured two inches by four inches for decades. It's much closer to one and a half inches by three and a half inches.
I believe you.
I was alluding to the rules definitions.
E.g. the SW entry of the Index :
SW (Support Weapon; any weapon depicted on a 1/2" counter)

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Generally...slightly bigger font, slightly bigger silhouettes, better print quality/resolution, better lamination, better die cutting.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I believe you.
I was alluding to the rules definitions.
E.g. the SW entry of the Index :
I guess I was trying to say the 1/2 inch counters could be cut to 9/16th or 17/32nds for clarity and would still be referred to as 1/2 inch for the rules.

Lol seventeen thirty seconds is a bit awkward. 🙄

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I guess I was trying to say the 1/2 inch counters could be cut to 9/16th or 17/32nds for clarity and would still be referred to as 1/2 inch for the rules.
It'd wreak havoc with stacking units from different modules, though. (I'd be more interested in enlarged maps: using the new DASL trifold scheme on enlarged standard geoboards.)
Lol seventeen thirty seconds is a bit awkward. 🙄
Tell me about it: I bought a piece of 3/4-inch plywood a couple weeks ago, but they didn't sell 3/4-inch--it was 23/32nds.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Some of the later printings also corrected some counters that were incorrect in earlier printings, and also filles out the blank counters with something more useful.

Somewhere here on GS there's a post where I have listed the changes.
Found it - the changes in the 2016 re-print: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/beyond-valor-v3-countersheets.148645/#post-1946973

Then in the 2018 re-print, the size/font-size of the SMC counters were updated as well.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Then in the 2018 re-print, the size of the SMC counters were updated as well.
Hmmm... Should I have my forum avatar redone?

Oberst von Marwitz, 6+1 to the core, fancies himself to have grown in stature over the past couple of years.

Now, anyone who claims this has been a growth of girth will be reposted to the most godforsaken spot on the entire Russian front!

von Marwitz

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmmm... Should I have my forum avatar redone?

Oberst von Marwitz, 6+1 to the core, fancies himself to have grown in stature over the past couple of years.

Now, anyone who claims this has been a growth of girth will be reposted to the most godforsaken spot on the entire Russian front!

von Marwitz
Sounds like someone is trying to... ahem... compensate for something.

😈

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Check your Pringles can. It's not the same size any more, either.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Years ago A&W tested a 1/3 lb burger vs the 1/4er pounder. In the test the 1/3 lb burger won out against the 1/4 lber but in reality stupid people thought 1/3 was less than 1/4 so it didn’t work. Now they plan on releasing the 3/9ths burger, true story. Remember that next time you vote or are driving at 75mph in heavy traffic.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's my understanding that 2 by 4 refers to the unplaned size. once it is smoothed off you lose a little.