Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I might jump on this edition:

Description of PRE-ORDER FRITZ 13

PRE-ORDER FRITZ 13 with new Let's Check feature

THE TRULY GREAT CHESS PROGRAM

Join the community! “Let’s Check” is a revolutionary new feature of Fritz 13 that will change the chess world*. With it Fritz 13 users can join a world-wide community that will put together a giant knowledge base for chess. Whenever you analyze a position to any meaningful depth with your chess engine Fritz 13 will, if you allow it, send the main line and evaluation to a central server, to be shared by all participating users. Soon you will be able to find deep analysis to almost every position you look at – instantly, pre-generated by the finest engines in the world, running on the most powerful machines around. Gone are the days where you would have to wait for your computer to reach substantial depth in order to make sure you are not falling into a trap. You will even be able to see the analysis of different chess engines and compare their results – all without a second of wait time.

“Discover” a position! It does not matter whether you are a beginner, a club player or a Super-GM. If you use a powerful engine to analyze a hitherto unknown position with the Let’s Check function switched on, you will be automatically registered as the “discoverer” of that position.

“Conquer” chess positions! Let’s Check keeps updating the evaluations to any given position with newer, deeper analysis as this becomes available. Using powerful machines and the latest engines allows you to “conquer” positions, with your name attached to the newest, deepest analysis. You can also add comments to your analysis, which other users will see when they encounter the position.

Even if you are not a great openings expert you can become one using Let’s Check. The entire body of modern openings theory is built into the system, and Let’s Check provides you instantly with the latest statistics of any position in the opening: how often did it occur, which moves were played, with what success. The openings book (LiveBook) is updated on a weekly basis and will show you which variations are currently topical and how good they are. It will also reveal which lines are being analyzed and debated in the international community, and with what conclusions.

Using Let’s Check while watching top games live on the Playchess server becomes an experience in itself. Not only do you have the latest openings and statistics at your disposal, you can also see the results of the most powerful computers and engines that are logged into the server – total information on any computer, in the blink of an eye.

Other features of Fritz 13: improved and enhanced database management, improved user interface in Windows Office 2010 standard, new and more powerful Fritz 13 engine, especially tuned for deep analysis.

Naturally Fritz 13 continues to offer chess players everything they need to study and train: professional board graphics, engine management, adjustable playing strength, coach functions, move explanation, automatic game analysis and commentary, training modules for openings, tactics and endgames, professional printing of games and diagrams, a database of 1.5 million games, ten hours of private video instructions by grandmasters. And the icing on the cake: six months of free premium membership to the world’s largest chess server PlayChess.com

*Access to “Let’s Check” database till 31.12.2014
You can pre-order it here and get a 27% discount (I demand 28% off!) and free shipping.

Chessbase has announced a release date of Oct. 13

Bison36

Recruit
Reaction score
Long story made short...I have Fritz 12 but do not have access to the disc to reinstall. I've been eyeing the this on Amazon for the past few day, but have been hemming and hawing at making the pre-order purchase. I can get Fritz 10 for like $7, which is a great deal. I guess my question is are the improvements coming out with Fritz 13 an incremental upgrade over 10 or 12 or is it a major improvement? The price is not my issue. It's the question of improvements worth the value.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't own F13, so I can't speak with authority about the type of improvements that are in it, but judging by my past experiences with Fritz (I own 10 and 11), it probably contains mostly incremental improvements. It seems like F13 biggest change is the "Let's Check" openings database that is updated in real time. Other than that, I wouldn't expect many other major changes. But I could be wrong. :) It's times like this that I wish Chessbase had their own forums so you could ask them and the community directly. I am really surprised they never bothered to get their own forums.

Anyway, I hope to get F13 for Christmas, so I'll let you know then. :D

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really, Fritz is the gold standard for pro chess players. It's analysis functions are supreme (but not as far and above CM as some like to say), and its database functionality is unmatched. Also, Fritz/Chessbase's online chess community is one of the big three, while CM's built-in chess server is a (dead) joke. However, when it comes to first learning the game and wanting to play against the AI to practice, I found CM to be superior because it is a much friendlier program to use with a lot more chrome (this is based on my experiences with F11; can't comment on later editions other than I have heard they made improvements).

As you can probably tell, I still use both CM11 and F11 - Fritz for analysis, but CM for other stuff, like having the AI play against itself to explore a possible continuation.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm putting our most recent game through CM tonight, maybe you could put the game through fritz and we can compare results (& where i lost the game, because really, it was mine to win).

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did. :D I left you a note on your wall a few days back about doing a joint AAR. If you want, I would be happy to incorporate your thoughts into my blog. Or, you could post a "Part II" blog entry. Or something else?

Good game! :toast:

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How is Fritz different to chessmaster? Pros/cons?
The big con is that you never feel the opponent has any personality like in Chessmaster. I bought version 10 but frankly never use it very much. You can set up a very nice database of all your games which is useful if you like to take the time to study your games. But frankly, if I have the choice of studying an old game of mine, or playing a brand new game I'll pretty much always play a new game.

One nice thing it does is it can generate chess puzzles out of your own games. Bad news is that it only finds a puzzleworthy position in about one out of every hundred games for me.

The feature that tempted me to buy it was a little red light that goes off to indicate that you currently have a good move on the board. I never saw that light very often because I was too busy getting clobbered. The feature sounded better than it actually ended up being.

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada