Fringe Conflicts: The Chaco War

owenedwards

Reaction score
Country
ll
So I'm thinking about "fringe conflicts" that ASL is geared to simulate. Obviously the Spanish Civil War gets a decent amount of design, and there's surprisingly generous coverage for weird stuff like post-VJ Day suppression of nationalist movements.

The biggest 20th century conventional conflict in the Americas (excluding, if you'll allow me, Pearl Harbor and Attu ;)) was the Chaco War - Bolivia and Paraguay going at it over a mineral-rich area of altiplano. Paraguay got the better of it.

There is one scenario I can find on the Scenario Archive - Critical Hit's "Raiders of the Chaco" (https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=57401). This sounds cool, but it's definitely not maximally cool. That covers 1st Nanawa - but 2nd Nanawa, later in the war, included the Bolivians sending in 5 of their small collection of tanks (3 x Vickers 6-tons and 2 x Carden-Loyd Tankettes), whilst the Paraguayans sent in 4 fighter-bombers.

Maybe someone could work on these, eh? What sorts of design and chrome do you think would be necessary?

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
@sswann Didn't Steve Swann do some work on the Central and South American wars of the early 20th century?
Yep!
Pershing's venture into Mexico.
The Banana Wars,
WW1 in East Africa (trench warfare not used much)
Chaco War (Maps and scenarios done, awaiting their turn in production line)
Rif War
Russian Invasion of China
assisting on the Spanish Civil War

Lots of non-trench warfare battles fought BEFORE WW2 that used many of the same weapons.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Oh!
and also there were several rebellion wars fought in the LATE 1940s using ww2 equipment and training.
Greek Civil War
Estonia's Forest Brothers
Britian's VietNam
France's VietNam
Indonesia
Malaya
Arab-Israeli
etc
etc

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
If you do an internet search on small wars and conflicts, you will find that somewhere, some time, by somebody there has been a war EVERY day of the 20th century.
Wars and rumors of war are a constant for the last 120 years.
War is becoming a way of life.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh!
and also there were several rebellion wars fought in the LATE 1940s using ww2 equipment and training.
Greek Civil War
Estonia's Forest Brothers
Britian's VietNam
France's VietNam
Indonesia
Malaya
Arab-Israeli
etc
etc
Napalm was used by the Greek Government forces against two of the big mountain strongholds at Grammos and Vitsi. I also read where that mountain also had caves. There could be a case for small cave complexes of at least two hexes long. KWASL units--and definitely steep hills--could be used in this conflict
Chaco War by Steve has been in the works for a while now.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
IIRC didn't Hammond do some Russian Civil War scenarios about fighting in the Far East for LFT (or was it Friendly Fire)?
LFT four, and at present I’m proofing some more and hopefully getting some Playtesting in for him