friendly fire

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
tell us your worst incident of "friendly fire" that caused casualties...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I once had a Soviet squad place a DC into a Location upstairs.
The detonation rubbled not only the level above them, but theirs too.
Now is a placed DC still considered friendly when it detonates ?

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I brazenly fired my Badger's FT into a melee in Bedburg Bite. Very bad idea. It got an effect *while* exhausting it's fuel at the same time -- but not the effect I needed. My MMCs broke, the German's did not. Never, ever do this again I told myself.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Operation Watchtower CG. Idea to keep banzaiing Japanese at arms length is to pre-register 3 hexes from observer (nvr range) harassing fire from a 100mm module. Even if drifts 6FP+4 in foxholes is surviveable...
....roll a 5 miss - deviates half distance - 3 hexes on top of observer - rolls a critical and kills him instantly. End of module.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The most memorable case was only witnessed by me in a muli-player game of RB. One of my partners & I had the German side and he had been trying to take a position in a multi-story building defended by a death star in an upper level and fortified locations on the lower levels for several turns but without success and at increasingly heavy casualties. Sometime late in the evening he had to get some sleep, so another took over his forces in the area and managed to take the position, capturing the Russian MGs and heavily reinforcing it. After a few hours of rest he returned and resumed command of his forces, he still saw the MGs on the upper levels and assued the position was still in Russian hands (still a little woozy perhaps). Because of lack of sleep or other factors the Russian player failed to notice he no longer controlled the position as well when my returning partner fired on it with an 81 MTR, garnered a CH and then Yahtzeed the RS DRs and rubbled the building or the location. As he began to apply the final results he yelled "OH NO!" as we all realized the mistake and began to laugh so loudly that we woke up the remaining sleeping guys (we were all probably punch drunk by then) and had to explain the situation. Now it's been over 20 years that that happened and we still give him a ration of crap to this day and have a good laugh at his expense. (Can't remember if we let the result stand or not).

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
not technically a Friendly fire, but similar, and happend in my last game.
Situation: 1,5 friendly squads in the same hex with an enemy AFV in motion ready to move and jump in the VC hex needed to win in the last mov PH of the game. Stupidly I attacked the enemy AFV in CC achieving an immobilization, the worst possible result. This turned the CC istantly in a Melee locking infantry in the hex since the HS attack was a NE. No more any final move and the scenario flew away.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I brazenly fired my Badger's FT into a melee in Bedburg Bite. Very bad idea. It got an effect *while* exhausting it's fuel at the same time -- but not the effect I needed. My MMCs broke, the German's did not. Never, ever do this again I told myself.
Same scenario, my 9-2 was forced to rout upstairs into the steeple. A German squad and leader then advanced into the ground floor to engage my squad in CC, with was inconclusive.

So in an effort to save my 9-2 and probably my scenario chances, I fired the Badger into the melee. Broke everyone, advanced a HS into the Melee, eliminated the Germans.

Queue the music - What a difference a roll made,..., turns rain into flowers...

Rich

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Ordeal before Shuri.

As the Americans my FB drop napalm onto the Hoss' position. Goodbye kakazu West.

I hate the smell of burnt horse in turn 4.

Smells like.

Defeat.