Friendly command control question

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

On my first friendly player turn of my PB SASL campaign and getting to grips with Friendly Command control and have a question.

i have two units that are adjacent but not within 2 hexes of a leader so my understanding is that they both need to roll for command control against their printed moral rating.

I want to fire them as a fire group- In order to do this I would have to roll for both units for friendly command before I fired either but the rules seem to indicate that you have to roll prior to their action and then do the action meaning that they cannot form a fire group.

If they were within 2 hexes of a leader who was in command i assume that they could then form a fire group as the would not roll for friendly command separately?

Any clarification would be useful.

Regards

Simon

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

On my first friendly player turn of my PB SASL campaign and getting to grips with Friendly Command control and have a question.

i have two units that are adjacent but not within 2 hexes of a leader so my understanding is that they both need to roll for command control against their printed moral rating.

I want to fire them as a fire group- In order to do this I would have to roll for both units for friendly command before I fired either but the rules seem to indicate that you have to roll prior to their action and then do the action meaning that they cannot form a fire group.

If they were within 2 hexes of a leader who was in command i assume that they could then form a fire group as the would not roll for friendly command separately?

Any clarification would be useful.

Regards

Simon
The rules do not really allow multi-hex FG's.

S 8.51 PFPh: Each Good Order ENEMY Infantry unit in the same Location that has a Fire Action must fire in its PFPh as a FG if possible [EXC: if Ordnance]. The player makes one DR on the applicable ENEMY Attack Table {A3a} to determine the Target. If all FP of the FG cannot be concentrated vs that Target (e.g., due to range limitations) any unused FP should be used vs another Target(s), using the Priority List of that same Fire Command. Otherwise reroll for a new Fire Command for any still unused FP.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
S8.15 really only addresses ENEMY actions. If FRIENDLY units are outside of a leader's Command Radius each stack must roll independently for "In Command" status prior to their Fire Phase/opportunity therefore precluding most multi-location FGs for those units [EXC: If one Location contained a Hero he could form a FG with another location if the units in the other location made their CMD DR]. (S16.3-.32)

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
S8.15 really only addresses ENEMY actions. If FRIENDLY units are outside of a leader's Command Radius each stack must roll independently for "In Command" status prior to their Fire Phase/opportunity therefore precluding most multi-location FGs for those units [EXC: If one Location contained a Hero he could form a FG with another location if the units in the other location made their CMD DR]. (S16.3-.32)
Yeah, my bad. I mis-read what I thought he was asking.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ok thanks, so I take from this that multi hex fire groups of friendly units cannot happen when the units have to roll for command control individually but can be formed if units are in command due to being in the command range of a leader that has passed it's command control check.

Also thanks TopT as I would have probably had to have question the fire groups of enemy units later when i got to that!!

Thanks for the responses

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...this that multi hex fire groups of friendly units cannot happen when the units have to roll for command control individually but can be formed if units are in command due to being in the command range of a leader that has passed it's command control check.
Not quite. The S16 rules don't explicitly state so (but then they don't say you can't, unlike S6.11 re EN Actions), but you could roll for several CMD DR of adjacent squads to see if you can form a FG before you fire. At least that's how I read it and do it.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
As usual I agree with Ahriman667's interpretation. 16.3 is admittedly a little ambiguous, but I'd take participation in a fire group as a collective action for the participating units, precipitating a command DR for all contributing units as a simultaneous action.