FrF98 Amerikanskaya Suka SSR#4

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
'Mobile Trucks without Passengers are immediately removed from play'

I've never seen such as SSR before. It just seems odd to me. I can see immediate recall but immediate removed from play? I guess they magically vanish as soon as the Passengers unload :eek:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That is the way it was played at Friendly Fire and the tourny is run by Magnus who produces those packs. You played it correctly. I think it is so that once you have chosen your path - that is it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

I've never seen such as SSR before. It just seems odd to me. I can see immediate recall but immediate removed from play? I guess they magically vanish as soon as the Passengers unload :eek:
I agree. I can see some reasoning behind recalling Trucks immediately after unloading. But simply have them vanishing is odd. And maybe a bit over the top IMHO.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I agree. I can see some reasoning behind recalling Trucks immediately after unloading. But simply have them vanishing is odd. And maybe a bit over the top IMHO.
:1 Driving trucks off board is not a very interesting use of a player's time. ASL is a game, not a simulation.
goto 1

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
:1 Driving trucks off board is not a very interesting use of a player's time. ASL is a game, not a simulation.
goto 1

JR
Uh-hum. I remember all those nights when I had no sleep at all because the time for it was taken up by driving trucks offboard.

By the same reasoning, you could have pop up reinforcements 'X' hexes away from the nearest enemy unit and make a dr for having a certain percentage of these being lost automatically. Driving them onboard and taking care for them not being shot at en route takes even longer than the other way around.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
By the same reasoning, you could have pop up reinforcements 'X' hexes away from the nearest enemy unit and make a dr for having a certain percentage of these being lost automatically. Driving them onboard and taking care for them not being shot at en route takes even longer than the other way around.
I have no objection to this in principle. It's roughly what happens when reinforcements enter from a "side" of a map layout anyway. But with exiting trucks it's a clear win. In real games I frequently take off a recalled vehicles (whether recalled by SSR or by rule) and say, "I'm driving this off. Any interest?" Almost always there isn't any. I think this is a perfect example of a scenario where I would do this, and all the SSR does is formalize that.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have no objection to this in principle. It's roughly what happens when reinforcements enter from a "side" of a map layout anyway. But with exiting trucks it's a clear win. In real games I frequently take off a recalled vehicles (whether recalled by SSR or by rule) and say, "I'm driving this off. Any interest?" Almost always there isn't any. I think this is a perfect example of a scenario where I would do this, and all the SSR does is formalize that.

JR
Probably a matter of taste.

I even ask my opponent if he parks his trucks ON the road on in the offroad-portion of the hex. In case he parks on the road, I take particular pleasure in sending over some Military Police to give'em a ticket. ?

von Marwitz

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I appreciate the time and tedium savings of the SSR but what struck me as odd and potentially significant was that, in this scenario, it's quite possible to want to get back on a truck. I played this a couple of weeks ago as the Russians. Once it was clear the Germans weren't going to make an effort to take the Russians' must-have building, I could have used the trucks to move a couple of squads toward where the battle was actually happening.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I appreciate the time and tedium savings of the SSR but what struck me as odd and potentially significant was that, in this scenario, it's quite possible to want to get back on a truck. I played this a couple of weeks ago as the Russians. Once it was clear the Germans weren't going to make an effort to take the Russians' must-have building, I could have used the trucks to move a couple of squads toward where the battle was actually happening.
If the scenario designer had not just removed the trucks, he would have probably recalled them after they unloaded. In both variations if you want to keep your trucks around you have to leave someone on them.

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
How to discard trucks (in order to avoid sleaze) is a matter for the designer, how he feels the flow of the game.
This SSR doesn't bother me at all.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How to discard trucks (in order to avoid sleaze) is a matter for the designer, how he feels the flow of the game.
This SSR doesn't bother me at all.
Often thought of ways to mediate the usefulness of such vehicles (ht included) where at the same time retaining options for their use by a player. The immediate RECALL of such assets harks to the designer playing the game for me for "reality" (yeh, I know we're supposed to hate that word in ASL) sake, but in essence it doesn't bother me deeply. One idea I've thrown around in that expanse of a nearly empty brain cavity is to increase the CVP of such vehicles to an additional CVP if having towing capability and additional CVP(s) for each 10PP(FRU) that the vehicle is able to transport but allow the player to exit a FBE at no CVP loss should he desire. Of course this only works in the case of a scenario imposing a CVP penalty on the said player. All in all however, the immediate removal of such assets does have the feel of "Beam me outta here Scotty!" feel.:sneaky:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

They used the same SSR with Cinderella's Pumpkin Carriage.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
goto 1

JR
I am with JR on this. Who among us haven't just said "this recalled tank drives off" or similar? I thought it was a bit odd at first, but liked it for counter clutter and simplicity. Thought about keeping a single unit on a truck just to keep it around for a last ditch grab attempt, but ended up dropping the guy off.

SSR works just fine for this scenario if you ask me.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It also avoids parking the trucks to create LOS hindrances in your opponent's next Prep phase.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
In Urban Guerrillas the partisans pop up out of nowhere.