FrF96 The Flying Circus

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I got back from ASLOK, the beautiful FrF Pack 12 was sitting on the desk in my foyer...like any other worn-out old ASLer, it was imperative that I immediately open it, and choose/set up a scenario therefrom, on my dining room table, before I had stashed away my ASL kit for who knows how long. My son Travis, who is my regular opponent, however, had to work (of all things!) during the week, rendering him tired (! - he's only 26) during the week & unable to play. We finally did get to it over the weekend.

In short, I got my head handed to me as the Germans...not so much because of the scenario, but for my stupidity and Travis' ability to exploit that to its max.

If you've not seen this, it's a little over a 'half-board' size scenario, played on a whole board (ostensibly to give some depth to allow the nasty Aerosans an ability to surround the VC areas. The Germans have a light picket force, aided by a 50L PaK Gun, one MMG, & one LMG. Two squads, a leader, & LMG are in the backfield for support. Two half-squads are HIPpies up in the open area forward (by SSR), slated most likely to die in a most unmilitary manner. Facing them are a force of Six AAMG-armed, partially armored Aerosans, with HS riders (an SSR allows deployment of Riders), eight vanilla squads with MMG & a couple LMGs, and one unarmored Aerosan pulling in a 76* INF Gun on skis. Germs gotta hold 2 of seven overlay woods hexes, on the 3- and 4-hex woods overlay, set in non-mutually supporting areas in the backfield. Ground Snow, everyone on both sides has Winter Camo.

I set up what I thought was a good D, a light picket line up front, HIPpies on the flanks (with their SSRed ATMM capability), 50L AT in the middle, and the bulk of my force able to pull back under cover into the 3-hex overlay. Figure that I could delay for a couple turns in the assault of the 4-hexer, and that would make it hard for the Russkies to get the 6 hexes they needed in time (scenario is 5-1/2 turns).

Travis is no dummy (must take after his mother). He bulked most of his forces on one flank, entering carefully in armored assault with 4 of the Aerosans that direction, aimed to take out the 4-hex overlay first. A token force on the other flank to keep things honest and not allow cross-deployment. Finally, the INF Gun would be towed up the middle to unload early, for possible Smoke and maybe some area denial by acquisition. The Armored Assault pretty much takes a lot of the teeth out of the HIP Ambushers, leaving them likely only one good shot before dying (a 72% chance of passing the PAATC, 50% chance of an ATMM due to the -1 for check SSR for the HS. If they get the PAATC/ATMM, they'll get a kill only 20% of the time, about 3% without...and a 27% chance of an outright failure by failing PAATC...quick path to a posthumous tank-assault badge). Anything those two clowns get is gravy.

So far, so good. Until I opened up, and missed every shot. This is where the stupidity comes in. Rather than just letting the INF Gun unload, I decided to intensive fire my AT Gun to kill it while still in the act of unloading. Of course, the roll was an Eleven. To add insult to injury, I Xed it out on the 'repair' in my Turn 1. Even having Stunned a couple Aerosans with some nice shots (and for these, Stun=recall), and one Malf on one of his others, I'd pretty much unhinged my entire defense. After that point (and his repairing his malfed Aerosan AAMG), it was pretty much an exercise to see if Travis knew how to kick his old man when he was down...a couple more recalled Aerosans left him with only 2, but a genetic predisposition for failing MCs on my side, along with encirclement from his remaining 2 Aerosans meant that by the end of his turn 5, I had one counter on the board...not enough to control two hexes worth in the last turn (and insult to injury, other than the Recalls, he'd only lost one HS. So my kid wins one against me for once...

That said, I can see that this scenario has a lot of neat aspects. Relatively small, should play quickly, some tactical options, and barring idiocy on one player's side, it should be much closer than it was. Certainly nice to shake out the Aerosan counters for a spin...interesting rules for those bad boys...and has some replayability factor...probably more fun to attack than defend, though.

Last edited:

Aavar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played this at ASLOK against Neil Stanhagen, He decided afterwards he should have defended the back overlay in strength. It was certainly fun though.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very nice AAR Steve, look forward to trying out this scenario with its very unique OB.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Do the Aerosans get both the OT and partially armoured CC DRM....that would be -4 combined even without ATMM