FrF95 Blood Red Snow - AAR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
FrF95 Blood Red Snow - AAR

Set in December 1942 in Russia, this is a short 5-Turn, single half-board winter action.

Looking at the source for this scenario, I recognized the name of Günter Koschorrek, who has lived through this action. I could remember having read a book of him, so I checked my library and found it. I took it up and read it again. It is a good book recounting his experiences as an infantry man, more precisely a HMG gunner. He was only into action for a short while at the time of this action and survived a desperate situation which this scenario captures pretty well. It is quite sobering to read his memories, especially that he was considered to be of the "old breed" after no longer than two years with less than half a dozen soldiers left of the company he entered the war with in 1942. Koschorrek in his memories mentions the devastating effect of a Flak-Vierling on infantry repeatedly. He also relates that the 88 FlaK managed to kill one T-34 before its crew got torn to pieces by a Russian shell. We will see, what happens in the scenario.

The Germans set up in a defensive position with Trenches and a Pillbox, but the instructions do not allow to concentrate these. They have powerful weapons at their disposal: A 88 Flak Gun, a FlaK-Vierling, a 81mm MTR and two HMGs. Roughly half of the force is made up of 548 Assault Engineers. 7 AT-Mine factors round it off. These will be reinforced by a PaK 40 in tow in German Turn 2.

The Russians have 11 squads, two each 628s and 458s, the rest 1st Line led by only two leaders. However, they are strongly supported by four T-34 M41 and one T-34 M43. The Russains have Winter Camouflage. The

Russians will have the choice, where to attack and the Germans have to prepare for any of the possible routes as best as he can. This means, that the Russians will be able to overwhelm the Germans where they elect to push their attack. But on the other hand, there will always be some Germans the Russians will have trouble suppressing.

And this exactly is the crux of the scenario: The Russians will not have time for subtleties and can move right on top of the Germans. But then, from afar, either the 88 Gun or the FlaK-Vierling will rake them probably along with another HMG.

Being a short scenario, this one is a bit suspectible to the luck you have with your dice. There is somewhat of a danger that either side can 'stomp' the other early. However, if the dice are just about even, then the scenario is a blast to play and of brutal intensity.

Situation at Start of Russian Turn 1:

The Russians can basically attack either from the North, the East, and/or moving out of the Gully. I expected an attack from the East, but it came from the North. This was not a major catastrophe, because my defence had that direction taken into account as well, but I had to turn the CA of the 88 and the Flak-Vierling to meet the threat.

I had only placed the required minimum of troops on the northernmost hill, because it was quite obvious that it would be overrun at once if an attack came from that direction. My two Halfsquads there were a nuisance, but were poised to be hit in CC.

The armored juggernaut charged forward to enter my entrenched 88 Gun position and that of an entreched HMG. The 88 took out the first T-34 M41, which burned. It could kill a second one that followed up to enter my Gun's position, frantically and without success searching for APCR and using IF. It could not covercome the third being forced to use FPF. My bunker with a HMG had its CA towards the other direction, so my main line of resistance was 'frozen', allowing the Russian infantry to swarm up, covered by the blazes of two Russian tanks. My Flak-Vierling did what these things always seem to do - looking like a most evil menace and having no big effect...

On the outlying hill, one of my HS went down in CC, but the other one rolles Snakes, killing off the attacking Russian squad and generating a leader. This was BAD for the Russians, because my HS + 8-0 was now in a position, where it could cause 'Failure to Rout' to numerous Russian units - if they would break.

Situation Start of German Turn 1:

My objective was to break as much Russian infantry as possible to take the steam out of the Russian attack and hoping to kill more T-34s which bound me to target selection limits, so I openend up almost everything I had. This started off quite well with my 81mm MTR going on a ROF tear and scoring a CH which selected two Russian squads by Random selection. One of them pinned, the other one became Fanatic and generated a Hero... My Flak-Vierling followed up but managed to break only the pinned squad and broke the leader. Next, my HMG + 447 was gunning for a Russian 447 + 237 in open ground atop my Pillbox. No effect. Then the 88 FlaK tried to kill off the tank in its hex – missed both the regular shot and IF.

I learned that units on top of a Pillbox are not bound by target selection limits by the units within the pillbox in the same hex. This came as a nasty surprise to me as I had reckoned that all Russians on the crestline could not hamper my movement. Well, so I boldly moved a 548 Assault Engineer ADJACENT anyway in the hope of surviving and to be able to advance into CC with one of the tanks later. It broke, however, since the Russians were now marked, I could rush my Germans from the southern edge forward. Advancing Fire had no effect. So despite all my fire, I was not much better off than before – I had traded a broken Russian squad and a leader for a fanatic Russian squad and a Russian Hero. Luckily for me, the Russian defensive fire was largely ineffective. However, in CC I managed to kill two more Russian T-34 tanks atop my trenches. We had overlooked that they are by SSR always considered stopped in Trench hexes for CC purposes. Menacingly for the Russians, despite having broken and chased away the German HS on the northermost hill and attempting CC vs. my lone 8-0 Leader which had been previously created in CC on snakes, the same killed off a second Russian squad all by himself after the Russians had gacked their roll. Apparently, that German Leader knew his business...

Situation Russian Turn 2:

The Russians had lost all but one tank, but on the bright side of it (pun intended), he now had plenty of cover by blazing wrecks which were inhibiting my defensive fire severly as the Germans had to fire out of SMOKE.

The Russians succeeded in neutralizing my 88 FlaK position by breaking a squad and the crew which were eliminated for failure to rout. The Russians then advanced in with two 458s and a leader, ready to capture the 88 FlaK.

A Russian and German squad mutually killed each other in Melee atop the Pillbox.

Situation at Start of German Turn 2:

The Germans were to receive their PaK 40 this turn. Unfortunately, I totally screwed up its setup because I forgot about the extra 1MP per hex entered for a Gun in tow. I would not be able to get it anywhere, where it could threaten important Russian units... This was all the more irritating because I had moved out a 548AE as bait for the remaining T-34 to draw fire, so that the PaK could enter without danger. The 548AE was promply broken in the process.

The Russian peasants surely found the 88 FlaK but did not manage to make it count firing it vs. the ADJACENT Germans. However, not knowing what to do (captured use, unwualified use) and adding a +5 SMOKE Hindrance does not help, admittedly... My Germans could not do much damage either due to all the SMOKE. The Flak-Vierling just continued to look dangerous but did not do real damage. At least in sum I managed to break one of the two 458s in the FlaK's Trench, which was then eliminated for FtR - thanks to my lone leader on the southernmost hill, who was responsible for the demise of 3.5 Russian squads so far either by CC or by causing FtR.

In an attempt to kill the last remaining Russian tank, another 548AE was shot up by it. I did manage to close in for CC, but a leader led 548AE did merely manage to immobilize the tank.

To be continued in subsequent post...

von Marwitz

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Situation at Start of Russian Turn 3:

Luckily for my Germans, the gradual Russian infantry losses begin to tell. The Russians still need to move some units, for example to wrest Control of the D7 Trench from my vicious 8-0 Meyer. The wreck blazes severely inhibit the punch of IFP for both sides.

The Pillbox hex now has become quite a killing ground as it is one of the few places on the hill which is not shrouded in SMOKE. Since the Russians must first enter the Pillbox hex before they can enter the Pillbox itself, they must expose themselves to the FlaK-Vierling, a HMG and the PaK 40 with no or few Hindrances and the German infantry ADJACENT to the Pillbox with another HMG (though firing out of SMOKE). For that reason, the Russians remain in cover concealed behind the hill, despatching a 628 squad to finally deal with my 8-0 Meyer.

The German PaK 40 with its screwed entry has no targets except a broken Russian Leader. On this it unleashes all its anger, firing at him and hitting him four times. Alas, that bugger leads a charmed life and survives wounded.

Thus the most things in this Russian half-turn happen during the CCPh: The freaking immobilized T-34 kills another 548AE with accompanying 8-0. They reinforce the Melee in the 88 FlaK-Hex by their Fanatic 628 plus Hero, shifting the odds well into their favor. However, they gack their roll and my defenders manage to kill off the Russian 458 along with my own 88 FlaK Gun and a 8-0 by rolling snakes, generating another leader, and infiltrating out of the hex. The 628 takes on my lone 8-0 leader but that man is a monster and survives wounded...

Situation at Start of German Turn 3:

I direct most of the German Prep Fire against the Russian Hero and Fanatic 628 but it has no effect – once more, the Flak-Vierling appears more of a menace than it really is. My PaK 40 tries to rid the area of the Russian leader landing another hit on him, wouding him for the third time – but still not killing him. My HMG next to the Flak-Vierling determines, that if I can break the 628 in Melee with my lone 8-0, Control of that Trench will remain German. As it is unlikely, that the 8-0 will not survive another round of Melee against a 6:1 attack, I open up. And indeed, I break both the 628 and my leader.

During the MPh, I send one of my leaders from the Trench on the hill over to my broken units in K7. A 548AE assault moves out ADJACENT to the last surviving T-34, which has to turn its turret to fire at it and malfunctions its MA when IF'ing during Final Fire. This fiendish tank then rolls Snakes for the CMG, which kills the 548AE squad. This tank has now killed two 548AE's, an 8-0, broken/ELR'ed a third 548AE... During the AFPh, my 7-0 with the 467 occupies the Pillbox.

In CC, both my broken wounded 8-0 and the Russian 628 withdraw from the Trench hex, which is still German Controlled.

Situation at Start of Russian Turn 4:

No Rallies are successful neither for the Russians nor for the Germans. The Russians are now very short on infantry, having only two squads in Good Order and one broken squad. The Russian Fanatics & Hero as well as the tank attempt to take out the German 81mm MTR without success. The Concealed 458+LMG – without doubt in the greatest fear – assault move up to my wounded broken 8-0 Killer with the intention to take him out in CC...

During the DFPh, my PaK 40 shoots the Russian leader yet again failing to kill him... The only target for the Flak-Vierling is the Russian Fanatic 628 and the Hero. And THIS TIME the Flak-Vierling rolls Snakes, which despite a cumulative +4 TEM/Hindrances breaks the Fanatics and wounds the Hero.

At this point, my opponent concedes.

Situation at the End of Play during DFPh Russian Turn 4:

It was a hell of a shoot-out with highs and lows for both sides making this a very intense scenario which was a lot of fun to play. As said before, if the dice are one-sided in this one, then it might be over quickly for one side or the other. Therefore I would probably not make it part of a tournament selection. If good luck and bad luck evens out, then it is a blast to play.

von Marwitz

seawolf72

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Steve
Country
llUnited States
I was so excited to read this! Gunter's amazing book describes a number of detailed actions (this being the centerpiece) which I have always thought would make great scenarios - and it looks like this one is right on the money. IIRC in the book it was the 75L that saved the day. Great write up!