FrF93 Wiener Walzer - AAR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
FrF93 Wiener Walzer - AAR

This scenario pits a mechanized German force reinforced by a number of tanks against defending Russians set up for ambush reinforced by some dreaded T-34s in 1941. The Germans will have no alternative than to run the gauntlet which will lead to some losses. This might turn into a possible flaw of the scenario if these losses are overly large or small, but chances are that it will play out right.

The Germans will have no time to lose to get to the victory areas but the Russians can arrange to be there first. The challenge for the Germans is that despite having a lavish number of halftracks and tanks he can't afford to risk to expose too many of them to the superior Russian armor because if the Germans lose too many vehicles, they will lose the scenario.

The challenge for the Russians is that it might be difficult to root out the Germans once they get settle in. It is of help to the Russians that they will move last.

Both sides will 'feel' that they have not as much infantry as they would like for the task at hand.

I played the attacking Germans in this one. My losses during the intial dash were all right - two halftracks with crews and only one passenger HS going down. Two passenger squads including the MMG were stranded, though. While I managed to take out the initial Russian tank quite quickly, the Russian ATG proved to be a menace throughout the entire game which I only finally managed to take out during German Turn 6 in CC.

It took out quite long to whittle down the inital Russian infantry force with difficulty. A German tank that crashed into a building, rubbling it and thus killing the 9-0 Commissar and a squad helped a lot and earned me some style points. I could have unceremoniously fallen into the cellar with that move, though.

Because my opponent used most of the reinforcing infantry force (7-0, LMG, and 3x447) a bit daringly, this presented me with a chance of neutralizing it, which I did.

Nevertheless, the game was not decided until the Russian Turn 6 Movement Phase during which a final Russian counter attack failed when the Germans managed to take out one T-34 and another decided not do move as Non-Platoon movement.

This was quite a tense game for both sides. Up until now, ROAR has it very balanced. Since the initial losses of the Germans were probably within precalculated limits of the design, it was a lot of fun to play.

von Marwitz

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I do believe that when an AFV rubbles a building it does not affect the infantry inside.

B23.41 Rubbling a single story building has no effect upon any occupants of the building.

So it depends if the building was single story or not.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I do believe that when an AFV rubbles a building it does not affect the infantry inside.

B23.41 Rubbling a single story building has no effect upon any occupants of the building.

So it depends if the building was single story or not.
The building had an upper level. This is what killed the infantry and the Commissar benath. We also had Rubble falling into the street. Hollywood all over...

von Marwitz

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've played this twice and think it is a great scenario. Maneuver opportunities for both sides, neither one can sit and hold territory.