FrF78 VC question

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
The VC reads: "The German win at game end if they Control Hex FrfAJ5 and/or 62Y2". My opponent and I playing this at Winter Offensive had a question on the ambiguous "and/or" and played it as "and" but wondering what others think. Why would this confusing requirement even be in it? If or, do the Germans need to ID the victory location to the Russian player? Thanks.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
There is Errata for that scenario saying that neither side holds either Victory Hex at the beginning of the game:

Neither side holds Control of hex FrFAJ5 and 62Y2 at scenario start (A26.11).​
Otherwise, I don't see any confusion. If the Germans hold either crossroads at the end of the game (or both), they win.

Last edited:

aloha_brian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the VC mean for the German to control either of the hexes. The 'and/or' text are to avoid the question of whether the Germans win if they take both of the hexes; because there are some people who need that clarification.
Brian

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
You are correct! My Russian opponent read this as "and" and I as the German of course wanted the "or". We agreed on "and" before we started and thus the question. I don't like the VC as currently written as it causes confusion about the objective.

I believe the VC mean for the German to control either of the hexes. The 'and/or' text are to avoid the question of whether the Germans win if they take both of the hexes; because there are some people who need that clarification.
Brian

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
"and/or" is a pretty common usage in ASL rules, VC, SSR, etc. to denote an "inclusive or".