FRF20/BOF05 - "Adolf's Amateurs" - head to head AAR

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Very cool AAR concept! I liked the little windows that popped up, and the music and narrator sounded like one of those old WWII films. Nicely done.

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, that was pretty cool. The AI voice over was a little annoying, but I liked it. :D
It's not CNN but it might work for CNBC :rofl:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bravo!

I had to do a double take when I saw the Axis Minor MGs. IIRC, the scenario uses Allied Minor MG. The range of the MGs is less of an issue than the B# on the MMG, which might have proven important. I also thought that the BTs entered along the east edge, on the A row. But don't trust my memory, I've only played the scenario twice.

As for that final CC, my less stalwart comrades would have withdrawn from Melee rather than risk CC, and losing the scenario. Great "bear pair" on that Russian squad leader for sticking around after ambushing the SS wannabes.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bravo!

I had to do a double take when I saw the Axis Minor MGs. IIRC, the scenario uses Allied Minor MG. The range of the MGs is less of an issue than the B# on the MMG, which might have proven important. I also thought that the BTs entered along the east edge, on the A row. But don't trust my memory, I've only played the scenario twice.

As for that final CC, my less stalwart comrades would have withdrawn from Melee rather than risk CC, and losing the scenario. Great "bear pair" on that Russian squad leader for sticking around after ambushing the SS wannabes.
Withdrawing from CC would have left the building in German hands, which in this scenario would have given them a VP and put them over the number needed to win.

As for the tanks - HUH. I read it more than twice, and yet you are correct, I still managed to goof the entry board-edge. Trying to squeeze ASL into evenings after full days at work will do that I guess.

Not sure what difference it would have made; I suspect I would still have ended up in a shootout with his tanks. I seem to recall planning to enter on the east-west road and try to do exactly that. Does look like I managed to draw some of his forces to the west, though, which wouldn't have happened had I entered correctly.

Argh.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Withdrawing from CC would have left the building in German hands, which in this scenario would have given them a VP and put them over the number needed to win.
My bad. I thought that the SS already Controlled the building.

In any case, an interesting defence. At first, I thought the Reds were doomed, that the Germans would have plenty of time to reduce the defence in 6.5 turns.

Force conservation proved effective. Too bad the BTs entered on the wrong board edge. Would have liked to see how the plan held up with the BTs defending the ville, and the Germans concentrating on taking it rather than dividing their forces. (I was initially concerned by the three axes of advance. The lack of a Soviet screening force enabled all three groups to get forward in good order and consolidate for the attack on the ville. The appearance of the BTs in the German rear upset this plan, and the Germans were too little, too late on the main objective.)

Tense game nevertheless, and down to the last CC. What's not to like?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That as really cool. I think the Germans should have won because once you solely occupy a building you control it. That defense worked pretty good but maybe a defence at the stream with delay back to the buildings. Those streams are a bitch to cross under fire. Also, use that giant swamp in the middle, it constricts the German attack into a kill zone.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I found the placement of the Blazes is extremely important as one can take away an avenue of approach. A forward screen line, fall back defense works well also. In my estimation, a tough challenge for the Germans as the Russian Tanks arrive about a turn too soon for my liking. However, having said that, I still think for a small "Fast Food" scenario, it's an absolute winner.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Isn't building D2 considered captured by the Germans????

There's no other Russian unit in the building, so merely entering any location will gain control (assuming no HIP Russian in it).

That works out to be a German win.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Isn't building D2 considered captured by the Germans????

There's no other Russian unit in the building, so merely entering any location will gain control (assuming no HIP Russian in it).

That works out to be a German win.
He advanced into the one hex, but I thought he had to either occupy every location in the building, or declare mopping up (which is done before the advance phase) in order to secure it. Happy to be educated on this point as we pored over the rulebook on this.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I had to do a double take when I saw the Axis Minor MGs. IIRC, the scenario uses Allied Minor MG. The range of the MGs is less of an issue than the B# on the MMG, which might have proven important.
Just discussing this offline now - didn't register the first time I read it. No counter depictions on the card so I lazily assumed since they're Germans, they must be using Axis counters rather than Allied.

Lots of good learnings here - thanks all for the replies.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
He advanced into the one hex, but I thought he had to either occupy every location in the building, or declare mopping up (which is done before the advance phase) in order to secure it. Happy to be educated on this point as we pored over the rulebook on this.
26.11 GAINING CONTROL: At scenario start a side gains Control of all Locations/hexes/buildings within its set-up area [EXC: if within both sides' set-up areas], as well as all Locations/hexes/buildings on a board if that side is the only side which may set up on that board at scenario start.

During play, a side gains Control of a Location/hex/building by occupying it with an armed Good Order Infantry MMC without the presence of an armed enemy ground unit [EXC: subterranean units] in that same Location/hex/building (see also 26.13-.14 for hex/building Control). Control can be gained during the act of movement; a unit need not end a phase (or even survive Defensive First Fire) in the Location/hex/building to gain Control of it. However, Control cannot be gained via Bypass.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Amazing what a bit of bolding will do for comprehension. I was too wrapped up in trying to approach it from the standpoint "why is there a "Mopping Up" rule? Overthinking as always.

So congratulations to CE for the win... (!)

That'll teach me to post AARs...

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have yet to play or witness a scenario where there have not been errors. Happens all the time, and no player is immune.

And you're right, posting AARs will teach you (and others). ;)

FWIW, I thought that there was something odd about the multihex building, but I was eating my dinner the first time I watched the video, and didn't look that closely at the situation. When I watched it the second time, I was looking to confirm my other points re the MG and tanks, and added my comment re CC as an after thought. Kudos to Bob Bendis for catching the error that gave the baddies the win.

Last edited: