FrF12 The Fields of Black Gold - AAR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
FrF12 The Fields of Black Gold - AAR

I wanted to play this scenario for a long time because it looks quite interesting and ROAR gives it an excellent Excitement Rating of 7.25 (out of 9) based on 73 playings. On the other hand, ROAR also lists 47 Russian wins vs. only 26 Germans. As this seemed to be no detriment to the fun, I took the attacking Germans and gave it a go.

Set in September 1942 near Grozny, this is about as far east as the Germans ever got. The Germans have an excellent elite SS-force supported by 3x Pz IVF2, 1x Pz IVF1, and 2x Pz IIIJ including a 9-2 Armor Leader. The Russians have the same number of 1st Line squads with MOL Capability to keep the Germans honest in their notion of moving ADJACENT. Support consists of 2x 76L ART Ratschbumms, one of which has to be towed into position along with a few MGs and 7 Trenches. The Germans need to secure the Level 3 hill hexes and the 18P7 hill. In Turn 3, the Russians receive armored reinforcements in the form of 2x T-34 M41 and 4x Valentin IIs. The AT capacity of the latter is not exactly impressive and they are slow, but on the other hand their armor provides decent protection vs. the German 50L Guns, they have sM's, and a CMG is surely always useful vs. enemy infantry. Two squads, a leader, and an LMG round off the reinforcements.

Because the Russians were surprised by the German attack, a certain amount of Russian units will be TI for the entire first Game Turn, which is surely something that the Attacker needs to take advantage of. Noteworthy was furthermore, that the EC are Very Dry, there is that MOL Capability and a Light Breeze is blowing from board 2 towards board 18. Kindling is NA, but still - nudge, nudge... Wink, wink...

Situation at Start of German Turn 1:

As ROAR had this significantly pro-Russian, I put some careful considerations into the setup and movement for the first German Turn. Looking at the setup of my opponent, I found it appearing mostly sound: Two lines of Infantry screen on the main hill mass that could not be ignored and could prove dangerous with the Russian MOL capability. I suspected the Trenches around the TI units of the victory hills. The two lines of screens would delay my Germans until the TI came off and bought time for the Russian armored reinforcements to make their appearance. I suspected the HIP Russian Gun on a Level 3 Hill as my opponent knew that I would have to move into every one of them and would also have a wide view to threaten German tanks.

Situation at the End of German Turn 1:

Altogether, my German initial advance worked as planned. The Russian Defensive Fire did hardly any damage, though some German infantry was Pinned in G1 by a lucky shot from the Level 3 hill. And more importantly, one of the valuable Pz IVF2 tanks narrowly escaped two shots from the Russian 76L ART which popped up unexpectedly in 18S10. A number of German HS had moved up ADJACENT to the first screen of Russian infantry to make sitting tightly in place an unpleasant decision.

Situation at the End of Russian Turn 1:

During the Russian Turn 1, the bulk of his force was still TI, so I could do my best to fire at them and gain Acquistion before they could do any harm in return. The first Russian skirmish line attempted to fall back but every one of the three squads was fired at and broken. Better yet, my Final Fire was hideously effective: My tank in D5 blasted the key Russian HMG postion with Leader atop the hill in a Trench out of Concealment and broke everyone. The Russian squad in 2M5 which had previously pinned some Germans on the western flank was broken by the German Pz IVF1. This meant, that not only had the first skirmish line vanished but also the main defensive line atop the hill was decisively weakened before it could fire a shot. I was planning to exploit this situation as best as I could. Meanwhile the Russian second Gun was towed atop the hill in the backfield, which IMHO was not the best of spots to deploy it. Furthermore, the MP cost was calculated incorrectly at first, so that the Gun could not unhook in the position where it is shown on the map in 2BB6. Instead, it unhooked in a less favorable position in 2CC6.

To be continued in subsequent post...

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Situation at the End of German Turn 2:

In my German Turn 2, none of the broken Russians had rallied. The sole Good Order entrenched postion on Hill 621 was shot up during Prep Fire. Basically, the main defence of the large hill had been crushed. I moved forward as far as I could in the hilly terrain while recovering from CX of Turn 1. Disasterously for the Russians because all of his units were broken and none were Good Order, I could close in without losing Concealment (I hope we played that right). Consequently, 2.5 squads and one of his two leaders could not rout out of the patch of woods and would were trapped. The two broken Russian squads in 2I9 were also cornered and had to surrender. Things were looking really grim for the Russians.

Situation at the End of Russian Turn 2:

In Russian Turn 2, no Russian unit rallies. The Russian Gun in 18S10 tried a shot vs. my tank atop the hill in 2J4, but the LOS was blocked. A ROF shot failed to do any harm to the HS atop the hill in 2K5 but instead malfed the Gun with boxcars.

Since the big hill was basically lost to the Russians, my opponent tried to pull out the squad from 2L8. Just to add insult to the injury, this squad was CR'ed and ELR'ed by a lucky long range shot by the said German HS which had just survived the Russian shelling unscathed. If this weren't enough, when the Russians attempted to unhook the second gun far away on the hill in the backfield, my German Pz IIIJ on the small Level 2 hill in 2F7 had its minute of glory. As it happened, a Kriegsberichter was riding within that tank and can report what happened first hand:

Says the tank commander to his gunner: "He, Hans, do you see that truck unloading waay over yonder?"
Answers the gunner: "Nein, Herr Kommandant, in that direction I see only peaceful landscape and nothing else."
The commander handed the bionculars to his gunner who strained his eyes looking through them: "Ja, sagen Sie! Tatsächlich! There is a truck back there I can barely discern!"
"Whadda ya think, Hans - is that still in long range of the Coax?"
Hans furrows his brows and mumbles to himself for a short while, then says: "I'll be damned, it still is - merely 23 hexes! Der Iwan has scrambled behind his Gunshield..."
"Well, whadda ya waiting for, Hans? Will you go ahead and blow the ridiculous fur caps off their heads?"
Hans' glance fixes his commander doubfully, but he nods and turns to his CMG to fire a burst. Shreds of fur caps are flying through the air and the Gun crew frantically scurries off the hill towards the nearest cover.
His commander, looking through his binoculars shouts out: "All snake eyes out of the living hell! Hans, why didn't you kill them?"
"Aber Herr Kommandant, you only ordered me to blow off the fur caps!"

At this point I am forced to admit, that I diced the living hell out of my opponent. I mean not just a bit. I mean bad. Really BAD... In my ten years of playing VASL I can't recall such heinous dice. Have a look:

These are the numbers of the two sessions. That's a 6.1 overall average for 60 rolls. If that weren't enough, its a 5.24 average for the 33 IFT rolls... That's nothing short of friggin' scary...

Let me take up this opportunity to give some advice to the young newbies out there: Roll low. Very low. It works like a charm. This is the only tactic you really need to master in ASL - the rest is chrome...

Situation at the End of the RtPh of German Turn 3:

At the start of German Turn 3, I pulled off an insidious ploy which I hope was legal: You can drop Concealment at any time AFAIK, so one of my German units ADJACENT to the stack of broken Russians elected to do so at the start of the Rally Phase re-DM'ing all the Russians, which all failed to rally (the leader would not have made it in any case...). Then during MPh, I moved my Landsers so that only Surrender would be left to that stack of Russian brokies. Furthermore, I took possession of the Trench system on the hill and assebled a vicious killer-stack in 2N6 of 3x 468, 2x MMG, 1x captured Russian HMG, and a 8-1 Leader. This pinned the Gun crew of the malfed Gun but would have wreaked havoc in the coming turn, when it would have advanced back up to 2N5, which is within full FP range of the MGs and long range of the squads to paste the remaining Russian positions in 18P8 and 18N6.

As it happened, this proved not to be neccessary. German Advancing Fire from 2M9 and 18W8 broke the Russian squad in 18U9. Advancing Fire from 2L8 stripped Concealment from the Russians in 18P8 which were then broken by the tank in 2K9. During the Russian RtPh, all the Russians in 2M4 surrendered and a broken Russian squad in 2P6 was eliminated for Failure to Rout.

At this point, my opponent called it quits. German win.

What shall I say - this was one of those games when EVERYTHING seems to work. My dice were beyond scary.

We picked a new scenario for next week. Hopefully, I will not have forgotten the 'winning' tactic of rolling low by then...

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Situation at the End of German Turn 2:

View attachment 15478

In my German Turn 2, none of the broken Russians had rallied. The sole Good Order entrenched postion on Hill 621 was shot up during Prep Fire. Basically, the main defence of the large hill had been crushed. I moved forward as far as I could in the hilly terrain while recovering from CX of Turn 1. Disasterously for the Russians because all of his units were broken and none were Good Order, I could close in without losing Concealment (I hope we played that right). Consequently, 2.5 squads and one of his two leaders could not rout out of the patch of woods and would were trapped. The two broken Russian squads in 2I9 were also cornered and had to surrender. Things were looking really grim for the Russians.

Situation at the End of Russian Turn 2:

View attachment 15479

In Russian Turn 2, no Russian unit rallies. The Russian Gun in 18S10 tried a shot vs. my tank atop the hill in 2J4, but the LOS was blocked. A ROF shot failed to do any harm to the HS atop the hill in 2K5 but instead malfed the Gun with boxcars.

Since the big hill was basically lost to the Russians, my opponent tried to pull out the squad from 2L8. Just to add insult to the injury, this squad was CR'ed and ELR'ed by a lucky long range shot by the said German HS which had just survived the Russian shelling unscathed. If this weren't enough, when the Russians attempted to unhook the second gun far away on the hill in the backfield, my German Pz IIIJ on the small Level 2 hill in 2F7 had its minute of glory. As it happened, a Kriegsberichter was riding within that tank and can report what happened first hand:

Says the tank commander to his gunner: "He, Hans, do you see that truck unloading waay over yonder?"
Answers the gunner: "Nein, Herr Kommandant, in that direction I see only peaceful landscape and nothing else."
The commander handed the bionculars to his gunner who strained his eyes looking through them: "Ja, sagen Sie! Tatsächlich! There is a truck back there I can barely discern!"
"Whadda ya think, Hans - is that still in long range of the Coax?"
Hans furrows his brows and mumbles to himself for a short while, then says: "I'll be damned, it still is - merely 23 hexes! Der Iwan has scrambled behind his Gunshield..."
"Well, whadda ya waiting for, Hans? Will you go ahead and blow the ridiculous fur caps off their heads?"
Hans' glance fixes his commander doubfully, but he nods and turns to his CMG to fire a burst. Shreds of fur caps are flying through the air and the Gun crew frantically scurries off the hill towards the nearest cover.
His commander, looking through his binoculars shouts out: "All snake eyes out of the living hell! Hans, why didn't you kill them?"
"Aber Herr Kommandant, you only ordered me to blow off the fur caps!"

At this point I am forced to admit, that I diced the living hell out of my opponent. I mean not just a bit. I mean bad. Really BAD... In my ten years of playing VASL I can't recall such heinous dice. Have a look:

View attachment 15480

These are the numbers of the two sessions. That's a 6.1 overall average for 60 rolls. If that weren't enough, its a 5.24 average for the 33 IFT rolls... That's nothing short of friggin' scary...

Let me take up this opportunity to give some advice to the young newbies out there: Roll low. Very low. It works like a charm. This is the only tactic you really need to master in ASL - the rest is chrome...

Situation at the End of the RtPh of German Turn 3:

View attachment 15481

At the start of German Turn 3, I pulled off an insidious ploy which I hope was legal: You can drop Concealment at any time AFAIK, so one of my German units ADJACENT to the stack of broken Russians elected to do so at the start of the Rally Phase re-DM'ing all the Russians, which all failed to rally (the leader would not have made it in any case...). Then during MPh, I moved my Landsers so that only Surrender would be left to that stack of Russian brokies. Furthermore, I took possession of the Trench system on the hill and assebled a vicious killer-stack in 2N6 of 3x 468, 2x MMG, 1x captured Russian HMG, and a 8-1 Leader. This pinned the Gun crew of the malfed Gun but would have wreaked havoc in the coming turn, when it would have advanced back up to 2N5, which is within full FP range of the MGs and long range of the squads to paste the remaining Russian positions in 18P8 and 18N6.

As it happened, this proved not to be neccessary. German Advancing Fire from 2M9 and 18W8 broke the Russian squad in 18U9. Advancing Fire from 2L8 stripped Concealment from the Russians in 18P8 which were then broken by the tank in 2K9. During the Russian RtPh, all the Russians in 2M4 surrendered and a broken Russian squad in 2P6 was eliminated for Failure to Rout.

At this point, my opponent called it quits. German win.

What shall I say - this was one of those games when EVERYTHING seems to work. My dice were beyond scary.

We picked a new scenario for next week. Hopefully, I will not have forgotten the 'winning' tactic of rolling low by then...

von Marwitz
Just remember, what goes around, comes around. *Hopefully not for a while though.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR!

Played this fun scenario a couple of times. Germans have little chance against a solid Russian defense.

You, however, had a good roll low plan!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR!

Played this fun scenario a couple of times. Germans have little chance against a solid Russian defense.

You, however, had a good roll low plan!
Yes, if the Russians hunker down on the back hill, keep those tanks moving and shooting smoke. I would have kept fighting, make him hunt those tanks down. Maybe luck would finally turn. They are small size and hard to hit, Sm8 like crazy.

Last edited:

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
"At this point I am forced to admit, that I diced the living hell out of my opponent "
Nothing new here 🧐

Ja sagen Sie....😆

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this not long after it was published. I had a single good order concealed squad in a fox hole that lived through hell. The German was throwing everything at him and he shrugged it off. heck it sometimes takes a little bit of magic, i.e. pure dumb luck.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this last night and did exactly that with my Russian, I hunkered down in the back of Board 2 with a reverse slope defense. Used my Armor/ infantry to reinforce the board 18 VC hill while my Board 2 guys took the pain to absorb and burn the SS forces time to clear them off board 2.

Super fun scenario and the Germans have time, but I think they lack the forces to accomplish that duel VC, the balance is not very helpful either. Those Valatines are great for blinding the Germans with their SM's. I also got lucky with my MOL's and took out two tanks. I guess it makes up for melfing both my 76L ART pieces lol.

Too bad there are so few scenarios on this part of the war.

Yes, if the Russians hunker down on the back hill, keep those tanks moving and shooting smoke. I would have kept fighting, make him hunt those tanks down. Maybe luck would finally turn. They are small size and hard to hit, Sm8 like crazy.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Too bad there are so few scenarios on this part of the war.
I checked the archive. From beginning of June '41 until the end of December '41 there are about 500 Russian vs German scenarios. From beginning January '42 until end of August '42 there are only about 140. (after August it is mostly Stalingrad stuff).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
'43 is meagre too, about 130 scenarios until it's Kursk time.