French vs. Italians 1940

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there any French vs. Italian scenarios besides "Backstabbed" and "Route on the Riviera"?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A Thousand Dead from Rally Point. Corniche Game from High Ground. Verrou Alpin (Alpine Bolt) from le Franc Tireur #3. A couple others from really obscure sources.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've heard Lady Gaga really likes playing these but according to her song shell only play one side.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Just for ETO. HG-6, FT-79, FT-09, RP14, FT50. There are a bunch involving Free French set in the DTO but as these use British counters ...

The ASL Scenario Archive search function is your friend.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An opening for an innovative 3rd party publisher for a 1940 war module in southern France. Free bottle of wine with each module purchased.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott Holst did a couple that appeared in one of the Hero Pax and which, if I remember correctly, were submitted again to LFT (which did not know they had previously been published). The Scenario Archives or the Chronology of War are easily able to find such scenarios for you because of their specific date range.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! I haven't used the Scenario Archive-I have it bookmarked but always seem to forget to use it. I have an opponent who likes to play the French and I would like a break from playing the Germans-so I thought I would see what was out there on the Italian front.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks! I haven't used the Scenario Archive-I have it bookmarked but always seem to forget to use it. I have an opponent who likes to play the French and I would like a break from playing the Germans-so I thought I would see what was out there on the Italian front.
Although they were at war for a bit longer, the major battle on the French/Italian frontier was only about four days long.

There were also a couple of Free French/Italian scenarios in the western desert. There are also some British/French scenarios in Syria. There are also a few Japanese/French scenarios in Viet Nam.

JR

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Japanese/French scenarios in Viet Nam designed by Laurent Closier are well worth playing. The Army at the End of the World, Unlucky Thirteenth, et al.

pybarrondo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's a HOB/BFP scenario in High Ground that's great fun. Corniche Game. I think the historical situation is similar to LFT's Rout on the Riviera.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's a HOB/BFP scenario in High Ground that's great fun. Corniche Game. I think the historical situation is similar to LFT's Rout on the Riviera.
I played Rout on the Riviera at ASLOK a few years ago. Had fun as the Italians in that one even though I lost.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
image.jpeg How about these guys ? Eight Frenchmen from the casement Pont Saint Louis. I guess they held back 5,000 Italians for a week causing 800 Italian casualties. Golly, sounds like a great scenario or movie. It makes Thermopolae look like a cakewalk.

Last edited:

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
They were not alone since the French OBA did hammer any Italian coming through the bridge. The Italian themselves showed little enthusiasm dying there and tried to bypass the casemate. I would really doubt the 8 French soldiers, armed with an AT-gun, a LMG, a handful of rifles and grenades would cause 800 casualties to the Italians. Thought, it remains a nice example of tenacity and "sans esprit de recul".

In ASL terms, I would guess a pillbox facing a bridge and impassable stream, a squad, a crew, an ATG (25LL?), a LMG, a field phone with 75mm OBA vs 50 3-4-6 squads needing a 4NTC to advance through the bridge would simulate this action nicely. ;-)

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
37L I think and two twin machine guns. Crew plus two heros, a 9-1 and a 9-2? The Italians get 500 squads and a 6+1.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> Eight Frenchmen from the casement Pont Saint Louis. I guess they held back 5,000 Italians for a week causing 800 Italian casualties.

Were they eating Brie? Cuz Lawd, that stuff stinks.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Brie doesn't smell strong.
A ripe camembert does, as well as a Maroilles or a Munster.