Freeware Chess Analysis Software?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anybody want to recommend some freeware chess analysis software? I am planning on upgrading to Fritz 13, but that needs to wait for the moment. In the meantime, what are some good programs? I downloaded Arena, which a lot of people seem to use, but I'll be darned if I can figure out it's analysis function. I know how to get it started analyzing, but I can't figure out how to go through a game and look at what its conclusions were for each move. :hmmm: I guess I got used to the plain English analysis of CM and Fritz 11. :) I mean, I understand what +2 and -1.8 mean, but I can't step through the moves of the game and see each move's evaluation after the analysis is complete. I must be missing an Arena command or something???

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Not sure if these will fit the bill, but i think they are free. Not sure if they are windows or apple compatible, & i never really got into programs verse engines and it all got too hard when i was looking for free stuff so i ended up with Shredder. But there might be some names here you can chase up.

FREE chess programs: Winboard and Arena.
FREE world-class chess engines inc. Houdini, Stockfish, Firebird, Rybka