Free vassal game head count ...

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello.

Do you know of a Vassal game that is currently freeware?

One of the advantages of freeware is that we can each evaluate innovations and solutions from each of the freeware games;then cross pollinateto our most favorite Vassal game mod.

For instance the VASL.mod has benefitted from the 5SMC.mdx which allows you to Promote in rank your leader, as well as naming him anything you want.

I was working on some game images for Gary's VASL map editor. Already, I have spotted a few advantages my freeware games offer by emulation alone.

Do you have any ideas?

Gus
Dvcc

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bill Ash did a module for Niko Eskubi's "A las Barricadas" - the demo rules/map/counters are available for free. Niko did the artwork for many of MMP's latest games (if you're not familiar) such as "Fire in the Sky", "The Devils Cauldron", many many others. I want his job. :)

Anyways, not sure if that's what you're looking for but thought that I'd offer it up.

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Gus,

If you mean, which modules are feeeware, rather than which games are freeware, then essentially, all of the modules released on the VASSAL module page are freeware.

You are welcome to take apart any of the existing modules and see how they work and apply those ideas to your own modules. A short email to the module owner is always polite if you do like something you see.

Cheers,
Brent.

travillaintim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep this one :confused: me for a bit :)

Brent is right on. All these modules are put together in so many different ways by different authors that I dont think you could ever find a "standard" to go by. But you'll get a lot of ideas :)

Although I haven't looked at VASL and any of its extensions in a long time it sounds like this 5SMC.mdx extension might possibly contain a custom bit of java coding, in which case if its a cool feature you would want to use in a variant way but its not part of the standard vassal package, you would have to talk to the programmers like Brent and Rodney (or whoever) that created it.

Being a custom script could mean there might be a good chance it was tailored specifically only for the game it is in, and would need to be changed for your purpose if it isnt generic enough to use 'as is'

And yep - I want his job (or at least his talent) too Gary :) I just hate getting stuck on counters with human figures/portraits as I am now - bogs everything down and brings my mod creation process to a grinding halt everytime, somehow my stickmen figures just dont cut it :) :OHNO:

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I have nothing constructive to add but would like to say that I think the four of us have some cool looking counters for avatars. :laugh:

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello.
I'll try to clarify ... I was flipping thru webpages on the internet and came across a few sites that mentioned they had put together a free version of their old board wargames after their original publisher's passed on re-release and/or further development. They were also available as vassal mod's or cyberboard or other finished state, ready for play - pbem even. [Some also showed on freeware lists on internet searches while others were priced for purchase].
Many of the older DOS games have game editors or elements that were developed for free distribution to enhance game play. Games like Tie Fighter; Steel Panthers; Panzer General; etc ... These game elements and editors were originally from other games or put together (compiled) to work with later games.
As in mathematics or music or movies or whatever, when something appears that works, some of the best advice towards coming up with equally good ideas involves merely studying what was done. For instance Java programs examined for structure or other neat tricks is beneficial since it actually gives you an opportunity to emulate it in your own work; or to resolve a problem into steps that can be further developed with a bit more creative thinking.

Those things all help to accelerate or standardize games, especially for game or code editors - productivity software. This emulation/ learning/adaption polishes games, movies, etc .... Our four cool graphics were probably made with programs that were once upon a time ago unique. So I don't mean stealing someone's copyrighted material; that would never appeal to our ego's since it wouldn't be our work. I agree that there should be some reference to where we got ideas or used a step learned elsewhere; but I am sure the complete trail may not be possible, just an acceptable amount "Refering" to the other authors, script or code.... etc,
I hope that helps.

Gus

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
travillaintim said:
it sounds like this 5SMC.mdx extension might possibly contain a custom bit of java coding
5SMC.mdx contains no custom code, it uses 'standard VASSAL' game-piece traits.