free "monster" SK scenario (draft)

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
somebody posted in the main forum asking why there where no monster (meaning very large) starter kit scenarios so I came up with the attached. It is a modification of an original squad leader monster later converted (many times) into various ASL versions. Now SK gets a shot! This assumes you have all the SK modules/expansions but I cannot tell you which ones as all my SK counters get put into the same raaco case. This is a draft version so no guarantee on balance but it does include a few revisions from the one posted in the main forum. I'd be interested in comments if anyone ever gives it a shot. Its free so enjoy!
SKBorisov_rev.jpg

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for putting this out there!! I may try to find someone to play this against over the Texas ASL tournament this summer since I will be there with my daughter for the whole event and only play SK stuff.

I wonder if it wouldn't be appropriate to introduce some Stuka attacks, given the specific mention of them in the Scenario Text. IIRC there is an AAR in S35, The Volga is Reached! that would be good (although honestly I question if it is too powerful). Dropping in the Sniper AAR from that scenario seems appropriate to given the "monsterness" of this scenario.

Can you please list off the actual scenarios in ASL that might have had this as a basis, and also the original SL scenario? I will try to come up with the scenario cards for them, review the ROAR results, etc. to see how it might balance out.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for putting this out there!! I may try to find someone to play this against over the Texas ASL tournament this summer since I will be there with my daughter for the whole event and only play SK stuff.

I wonder if it wouldn't be appropriate to introduce some Stuka attacks, given the specific mention of them in the Scenario Text. IIRC there is an AAR in S35, The Volga is Reached! that would be good (although honestly I question if it is too powerful). Dropping in the Sniper AAR from that scenario seems appropriate to given the "monsterness" of this scenario.

Can you please list off the actual scenarios in ASL that might have had this as a basis, and also the original SL scenario? I will try to come up with the scenario cards for them, review the ROAR results, etc. to see how it might balance out.
This is SL #20 Breakout from Borisov and the ASL version is U25 (same name). The Germans were weakened due to lack of transport in SK so they lost a bunch of SPWs and AT guns so I added another artillery battery (radio) and 2xPz II. The Russians also received an upgrade in troop quality as SK doesn't have 36x 4-4-7 Russian squads so I had to add elites (to both sides for balance). It was a real trick balancing out the forces as the SK modules do not include many early war vehicles and a very limited set of Russian counters. There are snipers in the ASL version but their SAN is pretty low and unlikely to influence the game - but feel free to add them on both sides if you want to play around with those rules (i don't remember what the SK sniper SSR says).

The original does include Stuka and it wouldn't hurt to give the German's one Stuka on one turn (say Turn 6) per the SSR in S35 (played that one once a few years ago winning the ASLOK SK mini).

Sorry - German's enter on Board r. I tried to keep this as close as possible to the SK system and my gut says probably slightly pro Russian (without the Stuka option). This will probably take two SK players 2 days to play so a tournament would be a good place to try this out. Good luck!

Vinny

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for this! As a dedicated SK player (oh the horror), it's nice to have a new option - and a big one!

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a dedicated SK player too, as is my daughter! Glad to find another one. :) Are you on the ASLSK Facebook group?

If I ever free up some time I would love to play this scenario if you are interested.

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hi there. I'm not on the Facebook group...didn't know there was one! I'll have a look. I have limited time to play (don't we all) and I'm going to look into VASSAL (I'm an old-school push the counters type) but maybe I can make it work. I have a busy family life these days, opened a new consulting practice, fly fish and ride bikes. My old HS and college gaming life took a back seat but now I'm trying to squeeze it in again. I've missed it! Thanks for reaching out!

defender7

Recruit
Reaction score
I just found this. :)👍
It looks to really be one of those scenarios where you can stretch your legs out.

Last edited: