Foxholes, Routs and KEUs

almogaver266

Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
Hello to all
Questions about Rout (A10.5) and use of foxholes in the RtPh:

Since the american unit is ADJACENT to a KEU, must rout, and his only secure choice is F4 (B3 is NA and F2 means sure interdiction); A20.21 states that a if a broken unit ADJACENT to a KEU which routs and must make Low Crawl o risk interdiction, instead must surrender. B27.41 states that a Routing unit leaving a foxhole can combine the MF cost to leave it and the MF cost of the new hex entered, so...

1) Can the American unit routs to D3 in order to reach F4 even is ADJACENT to a KEU?

2) Is subject to interdiction in the foxhole´s hex even it pays the combined MF cost to move to D3 in its way to F4?

Thanks

Rout & Foxhole.jpg

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. Doesn't seem to make much sense. Maybe look it over and reword it.

2. They are not subject to interdiction. Unlike in the MPh/APh, the 1MF to exit the foxhole is combined with the 1 MF to enter D3. It appears as though they can reach F4 without facing interdiction so long as there's no other units on the board that we can't see.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If your question is "can the unit rout to D3 to reach F4 even if D3 is ADJACENT to a KEU, then no. I'm just trying to guess on what you're asking but with the picture provided above it doesn't really make sense.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
As presented and pictured, the brokies can rout with no interdiction.

A more interesting question is if the woods in F4 were 1 hex further away? The woods could not be the rout target as F2 would be closer. You can not ignore a rout target based on potential interdiction, if I read the rules correctly. The only way the brokies could reach their rout target without interdiction.

Would they surrender in that situation? I think yes, but am not dead sure.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It could rout to A4 if it wanted to.
It would be subject to interdiction if it routed to A4. Because it has a route to F4, it could accept the interdiction instead, but if F4 were not available, it would surrender instead of routing to A4.

JR

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To answer question #1. Most INF can rout away from an ADJACENT KEU as long as it can 1) avoid becoming ADJACENT to the same or another KEU and 2) avoid interdiction (without resorting to low crawl) 3.Avoid routing toward a KEU (or Previously Known in that Phase KEU). BUT if the unit were Disrupted, it must Surrender to (an) ADJACENT unit unless 1) No Quarter has been invoked 2)The ADJACENT unit is in melee/Berserk/vehicular. So, assuming that the American unit in your example is not disrupted (and it should be marked as such if it were) it can rout to F4.

(Trying to answer one question with all the T's crossed and i's dotted makes me appreciate the guys that do it all the time).

Last edited: