Foxholes at setup

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
is a dummy an eligible unit?

What if I want to setup multiple squads in the same location?

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I missed the specified 1 Fh line, but its a constant question as to whether dummies can set up in FHs or not. I've never seen it properly answered. Can SMCs set up in a FH on their own?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Unit: Any game piece or counter with its own MF/MP allotment and normally capable of movement without being portaged, pushed, or towed. Infantry, Cavalry [but not horses], Dummy stacks, and vehicles (even if Immobilized) are all different types of units" [Index]

Well : a unit includes SMCs or Dummy Stacks [in Concealment Terrain]

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I missed the specified 1 Fh line, but its a constant question as to whether dummies can set up in FHs or not. I've never seen it properly answered. Can SMCs set up in a FH on their own?
It depens on how the SSR/setup-instructions are written...

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It depens on how the SSR/setup-instructions are written...
I heard one other designer say point blank that he didn't care if a single MMC set up in a 2S or 3S foxhole-- the perceived gain wasn't worth the extra verbiage on the card required to disallow it.

I have neither thought of nor heard of a valid disagreement.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I heard one other designer say point blank that he didn't care if a single MMC set up in a 2S or 3S foxhole-- the perceived gain wasn't worth the extra verbiage on the card required to disallow it.

I have neither thought of nor heard of a valid disagreement.
Well, I think that unless Foxholes are OB-given as counters and that an SSR does not expressively states anything to the contrary, then by the standard-clause "Eligible units may set up Entrenched" they are limited to set up in Foxholes that in capacity do not exceed the units within (while Dummies can pose as anything from SW - taking no space - to full squads).

As such it would make a bit of a difference to just assume that any unit can set up under any size of Foxhole.

In the first case, the opponent can glean just a bit more information than in the latter.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget the proviso: And must be set-up 'north of' south of' 'east of' or 'west of' a specific hexrow.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alternate proviso: must be within 'x' hexes of a specific hexpoint.