Foxholes at setup

jtreu

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you get, say, nine 1S foxholes at setup, there's no prohibition about combing three of those into one 3S foxhole, is there?

jtreu

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought that just referred to counter limit, but if it's more inclusive than that, great!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that I never have used a 3S foxhole - and I am nearly sure that I never used a 2S one either.
The danger of stacking, added to the fact that foxholes are deathtraps most of the time, have prevented me from concentrating units in 3S or 2S foxholes.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Sometimes you might want to have a 2S foxhole because you want to keep a squad in there, and also expect you will need the extra capacity to ensure an interdiction-free rout path. But yes, often it's better to use only 1S capacity.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Sometimes you might want to have a 2S foxhole because you want to keep a squad in there, and also expect you will need the extra capacity to ensure an interdiction-free rout path. But yes, often it's better to use only 1S capacity.
Exactly the situation for which I use 2S Foxholes.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Exactly the situation for which I use 2S Foxholes.
It would be a good reason indeed.
In my case, I don't recall having needed to use 2S FH - as I shun setting up a squad in a FH in OG (excepted perhaps if OBA is going to hit and the squad seta up out of enemy LOS).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It would be a good reason indeed.
In my case, I don't recall having needed to use 2S FH - as I shun setting up a squad in a FH in OG (excepted perhaps if OBA is going to hit and the squad seta up out of enemy LOS).
In general, I agree.

One situation could be potentially PF-toting Germans in a FH between two patches of Woods blocking a path where some Shermans must or would like very much to pass through and time is a factor. Then a PF (provided it is available) is quite a threat even if bypassing the FH: 8TH, +2 Moving, -1 Large for a Final 7TH if in LOS long enough. 58.3% chance to hit is nothing to be trifled with. So the opponent must face the unpleasant choice of spending a turn to fire at the possibly concealed (or even Dummy) German unit in the FH to dispose of it or to take chances...

von Marwitz