Foxholes and HIP

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Got a good one here:
Saw an old buddies game of VASL this AM and asked what 'these' units were. Truns out they were HIP foxholes that the other player couldn't see.
I said he could see them, started a friendly arguement and the next thing both of us are looking at the rules.
Question: Is there any time ( other then PTO) where a foxhole MAY set up HIP and retain HIP when a KEU has LOS and is with 16 hexes?
My agruement is that fortications become Known when used, or units lose HIP/"?", or GO KEU are with 16 hexex and line of site.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
LDM said:
Question: Is there any time ( other then PTO) where a foxhole MAY set up HIP and retain HIP when a KEU has LOS and is with 16 hexes?
My agruement is that fortications become Known when used, or units lose HIP/"?", or GO KEU are with 16 hexex and line of site.
You are generally correct, except at night. - see A12.33.

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I don't think its a night scen, have to check.
Thanks for the responce. I'll get him to 'read 'this tonight as a guest :cheeky:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
LDM said:
Got a good one here:
Saw an old buddies game of VASL this AM and asked what 'these' units were. Truns out they were HIP foxholes that the other player couldn't see.
I said he could see them, started a friendly arguement and the next thing both of us are looking at the rules.
In a non-night, non-PTO scenario, Fortifications lose HIP at any time a Good Order enemy unit has LOS and is within 16 hexes. See the Concealment Loss/Gain Chart, note H.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bprobst said:
In a non-night, non-PTO scenario, Fortifications lose HIP at any time a Good Order enemy unit has LOS and is within 16 hexes. See the Concealment Loss/Gain Chart, note H.
Two exceptions (not that Foxholes are one. . . :) )

Mines.

see also B23.911: Fortified building Locations are an exception; they're revealed only when an enemy attempts to enter it; when successfully searched; or when use of its extra TEM would change an attack result.