Fox Company at Toktong Pass - FCaT3.5 Mortars Questions

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started playing FT300 Fox in the Cold today as the Marines and a couple of questions came up regarding special rule FCaT3.5 Special 60mm & 81mm Mortar Fire...a little unsure because the counters are not placed on board...

1. Can these mortars malfunction/repair?

2. Do these mortars gain/retain acquisition?

Thank you in advance.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Last edited:

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have another question. The NVR chart on the map goes up to 12. However I can't see how the NVR can go past 9.

Am I missing something?

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i played this against one of the designers with the CPVA. It went down to the wire. Unfortunately I did not roll well on my CC and if I could Pin I did.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would agree, but it was a close run battle for me. I was about to completely overrun Fox when I hit the cap. The Pins hurt me a lot since they slowed down the attack and made the force a little choppy. Like Japanese, a Pin result can be worse than striping.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Another mortar question

I'm guessing spotted fire penalties apply, so when shooting at a non pre reg or adjacent hex, the base TH is 4 (+2 spotted, normally +1 night).

Because acq is removed at the end of each turn my mortars have not been doing that much damage.

Am I missing something? Or are they only really effective in pre reg areas?

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The mortars were not very effective in my game. I believe that you are correct regarding the spotted fire.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I may add another Fox rule question?

MUST the USMC place the shellhole counters or can they leave them offboard, unused?

Also, do units move In and Out of shellholes per Foxhole rules (Cot, FF, then 1 to Enter Shellholes) or per Shellhole rules (COT +1 all at once)?

If the latter, to enter a Shellhole in Lt Woods = 2 then 1 to move In?

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
From memory you don't have to place all of your fortifications. However I don't seem to be able to find a rule reference.

I've been leaving some off as they do provide some benefit to the Chinese in the 2nd and 3rd scenarios. Conversely in the last scenario they provide cover for the ridelge runners.

In terms of MF I've been playing them as FHs.

Have fun, great scenarios.

Thanks to Klas for answering the 'do I need to setup all the fortifications' question

Q&A:

A2.9
Must a player setup all units/concealment/fortifications in his scenario given OB? If Yes, does a player who accidentally leaves off part of his OB immediately forfeit the scenario? If No, are units not setup considered eliminated for CVP? Immediately or at scenario end? Should double CVP for capture be assumed, if allowed by the scenario VC? Would any fortifications not setup which count for VC be considered captured by the other side?
A. No. No. Yes, they would be considered eliminated or captured at option of other player. Immediately. At the option of the other player. Use whatever is most beneficial to the other player when considering non-setup Fortifications, either eliminated or captured.

Must a player set up all units, fortifications and other counters listed in his OB? Do the units not set up count as eliminated for CVP purposes? Do fortifications or counters not set up count as captured/controlled by the opposing side for VC purposes? Must a
player inform his opponent of the elimination/capture/control of said units/fortifications/counters when the elimination occurs?
A. No. Eliminated, captured, or controlled at other player’s option. Yes. As soon as it might be material to the VC.

Must a player enter all units and counters (ex: motorcycles/horses) scheduled to enter as reinforcements (assuming no SSR mandating entry as Riders/Cavalry/Mounted, etc.)? Do the units not entered count as eliminated for CVP purposes? Do counters (e.g. motorcycles/bicycles/skis/horses) not entered count as eliminated/captured /controlled by the opposing side for VC purposes?
A. No. Eliminated, captured, or controlled at other player’s option. Yes.

Last edited:

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While you may not want to set up all of the fortifications, those mods help the USMC in the scenario. Good placement allows them to old key positions.