Former GENIEites who still ASL

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading the discussion on first ASL opponents got me thinking of the good ol' days of ASL on GEnie. Most of us first met each other on it. Wolkey, Schilling and I dubbed ourselves the Bat Dudes since we were always on well into the wee hours of the morning.
Most of that gang are gone but many are still around.

Chime in if you were a GEnie ASLer and tell some stories.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm, I was on GEnie from 1991 onwards, but didn't play ASL in those days. Still, that's where I first met Phil Pomerantz and Jeff Seiken and many other ASLers.

ToxicShock

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was on GEnie from 1985-88 then 1994-96 (after coming back from Europe). I got to play most of the Ladder via Email. Best memory was playing Steve Pleva and winning the match on the last turn.

Last edited:

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
Lurked on Genie in 87-88 then dropped out of ASL till around 93...
Just out of school and with a new job, I could only wish I had the time to play back then.....

da priest

Reaction score
Ah! GEnites! DOS interface...Aladdin program for DLing posts.:D

When men were men and the wimps used that Windoz thing...no pretty pictures for us, manly programing and posting!:smoke:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ahhh, the good old days. Schilling was a Houston Astros reliever and a crappy ASL player (at least that hasn't changed). I was a newbie, but will always be Bat Dude #1, because I'm better looking than those other two. Sielski and his two doggies. Mosher was cranky even back then (I think it was "Dutch Trucks Now!"). Holst still couldn't spell, quit GEnie about eight times due to disputes and always came back for more. Jeff Coyle dominated the ladder back then. Fortenberry dominated the tournaments. Marc Hanna, Bunten and Mehr were the rules guys. Dolan as always was the comic relief.

Topics haven't changed much. Alot nicer crowd than the ASLML where a couple of guys have driven me and quite a few other guys away.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Boy,

We are aging ourselves :D

we could start talking about 8088 computers with 512K of total memory with a 2600 baud modem :D

Peace

Roger

Last edited:

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stevedeth said:
I think I have a floppy with some Genie posts on it.

SD

Somewhere I burned a CD of them, 4MB hard drive did not hold much. Remember pumping floppies in and out.

Keith

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Schill vs Mehr

I remember Curt calling Doc P and I around 2AM with a rules questions that was hot because he was in a game with Louis Mehr right then.

Alladin, I had forgotten what that software was called.

BobEury

Reaction score
First name
Bob
Country
llUnited States
Former GENIEite

I was on GENIE back in about 1989. I had played a couple of ftf SL games but was intrigued by this monster game called ASL. Not a monster in the Europa series way but a monster nonetheless. I moved and lost my gaming buddies but found a group on GENIE. I tried to play a couple of games using real PBEM but my opponents would disappear. My last PBEM game was Guryev's HQ with Dominic. I didn't quite get what was going on in the game (some things never change) but we struggled through. Through GENIE, I found a local guy to play ftf. He was a very nice guy but didn't have the right constitution for a newbie. He'd throw the dice, announce a 2MC. Roll the dice a few more times and then announce that my wonderful stack was now gone. He went so fast with no explanations that my head was swimming. After this episode and the encroachment of real life, I gave up ASL for almost 15 years but never got rid of the modules or rules.

Thanks to VASL, I'm back, I'm enjoying it, and I am eagerly assisting all of my opponents in their quest for ladder points. Thank you Rodney Kinney et al.

mharviala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a former member of GEnie, but I still recall playing BobO in my first ever PBEM game of ASL. Thanks for the game, Bob!

Mika

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
long time

Hi Mika! Glad you popped in and you are welcome. Tough game if I recall.

Bob O

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started out on GENIE because a fellow ASLer told me I could sign up for and get ASL discussions on it. Never played a game via GENIE, but did get great stuff about ASL!

We sure have come a long way since!

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was on GEnie the last few years of it. It was actually my second online experience. Prodigy was my first!

I remember playing a few games vs geneites. One vs Mark Greenman of Shoestring Ridge that was pretty cool. And Jay Hemness in Gavin Take. Trying to chat online with Jay after Gavin Take ended was memorable as well. I had NO idea what I was doing,and recall constantly typing over him.

I was dissapointed when the end came and I decided to try to move to AOL. Though that all that graphic stuff, pictures, etc, was a bunch of BS, and all-text was the way to go. Guess I was wrong there! :D

I remember getting my first copy of Sielski's OBA flow chart of GEnie, too. Fit on one 8x10 page!

St Just

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought my first computer after reading about Genie in At the Point. Used to print out the entire Bulletin Board. This forum is sure one heck of a lot easier to follow!

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I actually still prefer GEnie's interface to most I have seen since then, in terms of discussion boards. It is better than Consimworld, for example, because anybody could start topics (and it was moderated, too). It is better than Warfare HQ, because PHP board dynamics result in older topics constantly dying out rather than acting as permanent reservoirs for certain types of conversations. Today we have lots of graphics and bells and whistles, but seemingly no improvement in terms of enhancing on-line conversational dynamics.