ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Not unless you count Critical Hit.
I’ve got the Korean general staff’s history of the war. I may try my hand at scenario design.
It actually fits right in to include those Korean on Korean battles. They were large, they took place in mid to late war (so they aren’t same as many), they took place in the hills and mountains, and they actually saw more of a parity of experience.

The NKs lost many of their best troops in 1950. Veterans of decades of war. In contrast, the RoK army started quite untrained and with most of the experience being either from former conscripts to Japan or partisan fighters. By mid war, they had a lot of real experienced soldiers so they’re closer to being on equal terms with the In Min Gun.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No one mentioned LFT 300-303 which covers the USMC Fox Company's defense of the Totkong Pass from LFT's "From the Cellar 10". This pack also has a mini-map HASL style for the terrain.

I played "Fox in the Cold" against the designer and almost pulled off the victory. IMO that scenario is a great definition of what I know of the Korean War, cold temperatures, Chinese coming from multiple directions, and a stalwart company holding them off. This was tense throughout and a very enjoyable scenario. It ranks as my favorite KW scenario, and I PT'd the Fight For Seoul scenario which are also very good.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I bought that module from CH but I wish it would have been LFT’s instead.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I did mention 'Fox in the cold' on the first page!

Really enjoyed it. I suspect that I took too many USMC casualties to last the 3 days if the scenarios had been linked. But that 50 CVP stack of dead Com Chinese bore witness to an epic fight.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Regardless of what some may say, there is a lot of material to continue making KWASL products.

I want to play both the Best Korea forces and the Chineses to really get the full experience of both. The NKs didn’t lose at the battle of Pusan because they lacked the balls. You could really make a whole scenario pack about that because it’s a battle that the enemies of the Men who fought would rather forget.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Regardless of what some may say, there is a lot of material to continue making KWASL products.

I want to play both the Best Korea forces and the Chineses to really get the full experience of both. The NKs didn’t lose at the battle of Pusan because they lacked the balls. You could really make a whole scenario pack about that because it’s a battle that the enemies of the Men who fought would rather forget.
To be honest I have probably read less than a dozen books about the Korean War. ( Conflict? I am pretty sure those who participated in it would call it a War ) Just about as brutal as anything the U.S. military has ever engaged in. Well for the ground pounders at least. Bless them all.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
More than 2 million Koreans dead and mostly in land battles. Definitely a real true war. Just localized.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
To be honest I have probably read less than a dozen books about the Korean War. ( Conflict? I am pretty sure those who participated in it would call it a War ) Just about as brutal as anything the U.S. military has ever engaged in. Well for the ground pounders at least. Bless them all.
"War" literally I think. Are they not still at War (ie. North and South Korea)? I'm sure I read they were recently.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Every few years they announce an end to hostilities. It’s probably lost somewhere in the language.

What is for sure is that the fighting didn’t stop in 1953. The raids and subterfuge took new forms. Most interesting from the war autiste’s perspective is how the two Koreas have fought modern surface actions of note.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AFAIK, South and North Korea are still under a ceasefire (but not a peace settlement). Unfortunately, Kim-Jong-Il keeps conducting
missile tests and artillery practice shoots on his side of the DMZ.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Even after the UN’s surrender in 1953, there were still serious border raids. Even into the 70’s it would still be an active if low level conflict. The assassination of President Park and the downing of airlines were typical of the actions when Cold War was still on.

More they could add: anti-partisan activity in the Taebaek mountains. The guerilla war of 1945-50. More battles on what is now DMZ.
For comparison, from 1945-50 the RoKs lost around 5,000 men. That is comparable to the US’s losses in Iraq in a similar timeframe. The notable exception is that Korea is much smaller a country with a then tiny army, and they lost those men in committed action - without the knife of a cowardly bureaucrat in their backs. The surface of the war has hardly even been scratched.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AFAIK, South and North Korea are still under a ceasefire (but not a peace settlement). Unfortunately, Kim-Jong-Il keeps conducting
missile tests and artillery practice shoots on his side of the DMZ.
Kim Jong-Il died in 2011.

But his spirit, genes and perversions live on!

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I have found that NK isn’t well understood or known at all. The war is hardly understood and obviously the lack of harsh analysis of the higher levels of leadership was never taken.

The decent book on the war is from John Toland. He’s better than anyone we have. The Korean General Staff’s history is best, and it doesn’t focus on the early part of the war that is in popular memory.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Gloster Hill would probably be boring grind. I kind of want to try it but it’s not really a good scenario because it’s small, geographically.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gloster Hill would probably be boring grind. I kind of want to try it but it’s not really a good scenario because it’s small, geographically.
I would think it would make a nice , smaller HASL. The kind that would be included in a journal. But, YMMV.