Forgotten War Q & A.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Sorry if this has been asked before. W.3 KW Terrain transforms all woods to Light Woods. What about gully-woods hexes? Are they gully-light woods when KW Terrain is in effect by SSR? A quick check of Chapter B shows that gully-woods aren't in the Woods section (B13) but rather mentioned in the gully rules (B19).
Is there some reason to assume that "all woods" means gully-woods are exempt from being transformed?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Sorry if this has been asked before. W.3 KW Terrain transforms all woods to Light Woods. What about gully-woods hexes? Are they gully-light woods when KW Terrain is in effect by SSR? A quick check of Chapter B shows that gully-woods aren't in the Woods section (B13) but rather mentioned in the gully rules (B19).
I believe that gully-woods [B19.21] are treated as cumulative terrain [A2.4] and so subject to rules for both terrain types. Otherwise if B19.21 is the only rule that applies there is no +1 TEM for woods, no bog for vehicles, etc.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
All woods - same as all woods -> jungle when PTO Terrain is in effect.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Disclaimer: I am not MMP.
I post as a co-designer. The intent of "all woods" is that however woods are found...they are Light Woods. So your gully-woods is a gully and Light Woods.

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
The M37HMC (Vehicle Note 21) is shown as a T turret Type in the counter image and in the Vehicle Listing. As this is really a non-turreted vehicle, I wonder if being a T-vehicle in ASL is deliberate, or it has somehow erraticized.

Also, the M4A3E8(105) is shown in the counter image as ST, while the Vehicle Listing says it is T. by comparing it with Yanks, I guess ST is the right one.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The M37HMC (Vehicle Note 21) is shown as a T turret Type in the counter image and in the Vehicle Listing. As this is really a non-turreted vehicle, I wonder if being a T-vehicle in ASL is deliberate, or it has somehow erraticized.

Also, the M4A3E8(105) is shown in the counter image as ST, while the Vehicle Listing says it is T. by comparing it with Yanks, I guess ST is the right one.
I believe you are correct on both accounts. The M37 HMC should be NT and ST is correct for the other.

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent catches. Bummed that we missed those things. :( The M37 HMC mistake is a triple-header: vehicle note, vehicle listing, and counter.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Question on Guns and steep Hills

Can guns be setup on steep Korean HIll hexes if those guns cannot be manhandled too/from such hexes?

Rules say Guns can set up on steep hills 'if otherwise allowed.' The same rule indicates Manhandling can't be used in steep hills, except in certain circumstances.

W1.36 GUNS: Non-vehicular Guns may set up in a Steep Hills hex if otherwise allowed. Manhandling (C10.3) into/from a Steep Hills hex is NA.

Rule A2.9 states that a unit can't setup in a hex it could not enter during the normal course of play.

Unless I'm missing something, that means Guns generally cannot setup on Steep Hills except in roads/buildings; again, per W1.36 and applying A2.9 unchanged. The illustrated example does not clarify.

Scenario 204 does allow such setup in contradiction to the rules, to make matters worse. Nor does the scenario specify that this is an exception.

So that makes me wonder if the rules writers intended that Guns can setup in steep hills, but just can't be Manhandled into/out of them during play of a scenario. Basically, that A2.9 is not relevant.

Speaking of scenario 204, there is no exception that the KPA can use the Chinese weapons without the 'captured weapon' penalties. The after action report on the card implies that they should be usable normally, given these troops originated in China (!) and apparently arrived so equipped with Chinese SW.

Thanks for the clue, scenario designers! But that doesn't change the rule that using such weapons have restrictions/penalties.

This appears to be an oversight, actually. Because played correctly, those SW should suffer from increased breakdown/lowered ROF per captured use penalties. That does not seem to be the intent.

Haven't seen answers yet to any of the above in my searches, although there's been a lot of talk about scenario 204, it's not been about these issues as far as I can tell, hence the questions/comments.

I look forward to replies, thank you!!!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Per A2.9:
"A unit/weapon may not set up overstacked or in a hex it could not enter during the normal course of play, ..." (red text added via errata in ASL Journal 8).

So my take is that a Gun could not set up in a Steep Hill hex if it can't be moved into such a hex during play.

Although in scenario 204 the setup instructions do say "in non-road Steep Hills hexes", so I guess in that scenario they can do that.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Speaking of scenario 204, there is no exception that the KPA can use the Chinese weapons without the 'captured weapon' penalties. The after action report on the card implies that they should be usable normally, given these troops originated in China (!) and apparently arrived so equipped with Chinese SW.

This appears to be an oversight, actually. Because played correctly, those SW should suffer from increased breakdown/lowered ROF per captured use penalties. That does not seem to be the intent.
SSR 4:
"4. SW in the North Korean OB are CPVA (W.2C)..."

W.2C:
W.2C ALLIED TROOPS:
The different nationalities within both alliances are treated as Allied Troops (A10.7) [EXC: U.S.-Armed KMC (3.32) and RM/U.S.M.C. (4.2)] and thus treat no Allied weapons as captured (even for British using U.S. MTR/BAZ).

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
SSR 4:
"4. SW in the North Korean OB are CPVA (W.2C)..."

W.2C:
W.2C ALLIED TROOPS:
The different nationalities within both alliances are treated as Allied Troops (A10.7) [EXC: U.S.-Armed KMC (3.32) and RM/U.S.M.C. (4.2)] and thus treat no Allied weapons as captured (even for British using U.S. MTR/BAZ).
okay thanks for pointing this out...but

Allied troops rule 10.7 (related to morale only) is poor justification that such units share weaponry expertise! There is no causality indicated... But now, we are faced with the higher number rule for allied troops here is this Korean module -- and we can backtrack this to all previous scenarios where various equipment is being used by alternative allies all the way to WW2.

Frankly, I don't buy that this was true in Korea anyway....even if it is the rule. Basic troops in Korea weren't trained on using allied equipment as if they were all commandos or special forces.

This rule seems redundant then: W7.91 WEAPONS USE: CPVA Personnel may use Russian/Japanese/G.M.D. SW/Guns/vehicles without Captured Use penalties (A21.11-.12).

Since rule W2.C already covers this. But I guess the Chinese troop masses were weapons experts, also highly unlikely imo. cheers, Marc

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...and we can backtrack this to all previous scenarios where various equipment is being used by alternative allies all the way to WW2.
I am even not sure the rules cover using Allied weapons (except for a few rules concerning Free French, U.S-made something). E.g., in a scenario with Italians and Germans on the same side. I am not sure that - ASL rules wise - the Germans would treat an Italian LMG as Captured. After all, the weapon is on the same side in OB.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I am even not sure the rules cover using Allied weapons (except for a few rules concerning Free French, U.S-made something). E.g., in a scenario with Italians and Germans on the same side. I am not sure that - ASL rules wise - the Germans would treat an Italian LMG as Captured. After all, the weapon is on the same side in OB.
I agree, it is not certain, and the general interpretation you suggest could be valid, but this is contra-indicated by the various scenarios which go to lengths pointing out that certain allied weaponry may be used without non-qualified use penalties. Which I suppose only apply to crew-served weapons anyway, in the main. I just think A10.7 isn't the place to be looking for weapon's usage abilities for allies -- lol

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Below is a list of errata for Forgotten War Korea: 1950-1953 which we have posted on the product page:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/58/CategoryID/6/ProductID/333/Default.aspx

Forgotten War Errata

Chapter W
W.7C:
line 8, after “eliminate a Pillbox (B30.92),” add “reduce a foxhole (F7.42),”.

Chapter H
UN Forces Vehicle Listing (page H192):
[U.S./ROK/OUNC Vehicle Note 3] (M4A3E8(105) MT): The Vehicle Listing indicates that this vehicle has a Fast Turret, but the counters indicate a Slow Turret. The counters are correct.

UN Forces Vehicle Listing (page H192) and U.S./ROK/OUNC Vehicle Note 21 (M37 HMC SPA) (page H196): The Vehicle Listing and the Note illustration indicates that this vehicle has a main armament mounted in a Fast Turret, but it should show a Non-Turreted main armament. The counter is also incorrect.

BCFK SW ALLOTMENT CHART (page H215): Canadian entry, in the “M2 60mm LT. MTR” column, delete superscript “6”.

Charts & tables
W. National Capabilities Chart (Chapter Divider):
KMC entry, in the “ORDNANCE TH# Color OBA ACCESS FINAL ACC dr” column, change “9/50+: Black” to “8/50+: Black”.

W. Korea Terrain Chart: in row “W1.33 Steep Hills Road” in the “Terrain (Rule)” column, “Steep Hills Road” should be in black—not red.

Scenarios
204 Human Bullets:
In the VC, change “(see SSR 6)” to “(see SSR 5)”.

211 Task Force Faith Breakout: SSR 2, after the last sentence, add “Foxholes may not set up in playable road hexes.”

216 Centurions Reverse!: In the CPVA setup instructions, change “81T4” to “83T4”.

Counters

UN M37 HMC:
Should not have the large white circle, representing a T Gun type. This main armament is Not-Turreted.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Below is a list of errata for Forgotten War Korea: 1950-1953 which we have posted on the product page:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/58/CategoryID/6/ProductID/333/Default.aspx

Forgotten War Errata

Chapter H
UN Forces Vehicle Listing (page H192):
[U.S./ROK/OUNC Vehicle Note 3] (M4A3E8(105) MT): The Vehicle Listing indicates that this vehicle has a Fast Turret, but the counters indicate a Slow Turret. The counters are correct.
The POA-CWS-H5 and one of the Dozers carry 105mm armament. Are they T or ST? Counters show T.