Forgotten War Q & A.

Rob MacDonald

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llCanada
216 Centurions Reverse!: In the CPVA setup instructions, change “81T4” to “83T4”.
My question concerns the British on board set up instructions, not that for the CPVA. Setting up <= 3 hexes of 81I6 does not provide any legal (i.e. non-steep hill hex) for the British AVFs to set up in.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My question concerns the British on board set up instructions, not that for the CPVA. Setting up <= 3 hexes of 81I6 does not provide any legal (i.e. non-steep hill hex) for the British AVFs to set up in.
Although by SSR1 KW Terrain [W.3] is in effect, Steep Hills are not part of KW Terrain. You need a separate SSR to invoke Steep Hills, e.g. SSR1 for 204 "Human Bullets."

JR

Last edited:

Rob MacDonald

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llCanada
Although by SSR1 KW Terrain [W.3] is in effect, Steep Hills are not part of KW Terrain. You need a separate SSR to invoke Steep Hills, e.g. SSR1 for 204 "Human Bullets."

JR
Thank you, JR. I missed the SSR qualification regarding Steep Hills

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm preparing to play ASL 210, This is Where We Stand.
I have a question regarding the end of SSR 1 ...'cliffs do not exist '.
Would a former cliff hex side such as those within 2S7 and 2T6 be treated as a 'double crest' hex side (B10.52), such as that in hex 82K1 ?

Thank you!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm preparing to play ASL 210, This is Where We Stand.
I have a question regarding the end of SSR 1 ...'cliffs do not exist '.
Would a former cliff hex side such as those within 2S7 and 2T6 be treated as a 'double crest' hex side (B10.52), such as that in hex 82K1 ?
The only effect of a double crest line is that vehicles can't cross one and Cavalry can't charge across one. Since the scenario does not have any vehicles nor Cavalry, I don't see that whether the hexside is or is not a double crest has any effect. It is still a two-level change of elevation, with all that entails for going up and down, LOS, etc.

JR

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A question for the designers of Forgotten War regarding W7.8, Bugles.

Was there any consideration of providing some type of 'Bugle' info counter which would serve as a reminder that bugles had been sounded during a player turn? I have a tendency to forget this especially when pausing a game in progress. I've been using a gunflash counter for this purpose, however considering the extent of detail within the ASL system, I was a bit surprised a bugle info counter was not part of the counter mix.

I've really been enjoying playing the CPVA BTW!

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Was there any consideration of providing some type of 'Bugle' info counter which would serve as a reminder that bugles had been sounded during a player turn? I have a tendency to forget this especially when pausing a game in progress. I've been using a gunflash counter for this purpose, however considering the extent of detail within the ASL system, I was a bit surprised a bugle info counter was not part of the counter mix.

I just play the bugle sound on my phone every turn. It’s like when Ramsey Bolton kept playing his bugle outside of Winterfell. My opponents go insane.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

No there was not. That perhaps, no not perhaps, is my fault as I orchestrated the bugle rule section. I did not think of a counter for that purpose. Perhaps this can be adjusted in some future release of counters, but do not count on this note being heard.

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Gloster Hill. Daytime. Bugles declared. Non-IPM. Chinese unit WISHES to move. When does the UN Jitter Fire DR happen, before or after Assault Movement/ Non-Assault Movement is DECLARED. Ie: is the WISH indicated by the movement declaration, or separate from it?
There is no Jitter Fire. See W7.82. It only applies from 10/50 to 3/51. Gloster Hill is set in April 1951.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I notice that ROK marine 238 squads have their firepower in bold. Does this mean something, or is it just a vagary of the printing process?

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a CPVA rules question or clarification in regards to being Disrupted. W7.1 is quite unequivocal about 2nd Line squads are not Disrupted, but 7.233 goes on to say that 2nd Line squads resulting HS are Disrupted for certain other breaks. Also left unsaid is whether if a 2nd Line HS exceeded its ELR could it become Disrupted. I am looking for inputs. The relevant rules quotes are below, with bolds from me:

"7.1 CHINESE PEOPLES VOLUNTEER ARMY (CPVA): ....There are no Conscript/Green MMC, but 2nd Line squads that suffer ELR Replacement are not Disrupted."
"7.22 ATTACK BREAK: An armed, non-berserk CPVA squad that fails an IFT/Collateral-Attack/Bombardment/FPF MC (but does not suffer Casualty Reduction), or "breaks" due to a KIA result (A7.301), or suffers a dr "1" sniper attack is always affected in one of the following ways (7.221-.225): "
"7.225 If 2nd Line (regardless of whether Full- or Reduced-Strength) and it exceeds its ELR, it is Replaced by one of its broken HS."
"7.23 OTHER BREAK: An armed, non-berserk CPVA squad that suffers a break result directly due to a cause other than those listed in 7.22 (e.g., due to its Bailing Out, Voluntarily Breaking, Wreck Check, Para Landing, WP MC, OVR Prevention MC, or Panji MC) is always affected in ≥ one of the following ways (unless it suffers Casualty Reduction; 7.24):"
"7.233 In addition, if it breaks by an amount > its ELR (but does not roll an Original 12), the one or two broken HS for which it is exchanged will be 2nd Line (if the squad was 1st Line) or Disrupted (if the squad was 2nd Line)."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
W7.1 is quite unequivocal about 2nd Line squads are not Disrupted, but 7.233 goes on to say that 2nd Line squads resulting HS are Disrupted for certain other breaks. Also left unsaid is whether if a 2nd Line HS exceeded its ELR could it become Disrupted.
CPVA squads are never disrupted. When they step-reduce to halfsquads, they are no longer squads.

W7.22ff only covers full squads. Halfsquads are covered in W7.27, where it says, "2nd Line ... becomes Disrupted when suffering ELR Relacement".

JR

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a question regarding rule chapter W7.41, Restricted Fire (for the CPVA).

This question arose during a recent playing... The rules state that attacks by a CPVA squad/HS vs a non-adjacent target during PFPh or when using Opportunity Fire is treated as Area Fire. My question is: Are CPVA 'fires' during the DFPh (ie, a US player turn etc.) also treated as Area Fire or are these attacks resolved as regular, full FP attacks?

My FTF opponent and I were wondering why the CPVA units would seem to be capable of more effective fire attacks during their opponents DFPh, and whether perhaps we were mis-reading the rules in some way.

Thank You.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have a question regarding rule chapter W7.41, Restricted Fire (for the CPVA).

This question arose during a recent playing... The rules state that attacks by a CPVA squad/HS vs a non-adjacent target during PFPh or when using Opportunity Fire is treated as Area Fire. My question is: Are CPVA 'fires' during the DFPh (ie, a US player turn etc.) also treated as Area Fire or are these attacks resolved as regular, full FP attacks?

My FTF opponent and I were wondering why the CPVA units would seem to be capable of more effective fire attacks during their opponents DFPh, and whether perhaps we were mis-reading the rules in some way.
DFF & DFPh attacks are at full FP. It looks to be a game mechanic designed to encourage closing with the enemy. Design for effect rather than caused by any physical justification.

JR

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry if this has been asked before. W.3 KW Terrain transforms all woods to Light Woods. What about gully-woods hexes? Are they gully-light woods when KW Terrain is in effect by SSR? A quick check of Chapter B shows that gully-woods aren't in the Woods section (B13) but rather mentioned in the gully rules (B19).