Forgotten War Q & A.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am a co-designer of the module...playtested this in development...played this against the designer at Winter Offensive last...we played it as you see printed on the card.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Making sure I've got this right.

With Steep Hills at Night and with ground snow the MFs required for the following:

Moving uphill into OG with 3PP is 4MF.
Uncloaked Moving uphill into woods/building with 3PP+ is 8MF
Cloaked Moving uphill into woods/building with 3PP+ is 7MF

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Making sure I've got this right.

With Steep Hills at Night and with ground snow the MFs required for the following:

Moving uphill into OG with 3PP is 4MF.
Uncloaked Moving uphill into woods/building with 3PP+ is 8MF
Cloaked Moving uphill into woods/building with 3PP+ is 7MF
Sounds correct.

The normal COT is first tripled (assuming no leader present to help carry stuff), and then one adds 1 MF for elevation change during Ground Snow, and 1 MF for non-Cloaked entry of concealment terrain.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
....and 1 MF for non-Cloaked entry of non-open ground (non-road) concealment terrain. (As a non-road OG hex in Steep Hills is concealment terrain W1.31, but the added cost at night is NA W1.311).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Centurions Reverse! 216

Per SSR 2 CPVA 6-2-7s are Assault Engineers. If a Chinese 5-2-7 battle hardens to a 6-2-7, does it become an Assault Engineer? If a 6-2-7 ELRs to a 5-2-7, does it stop being an Assault Engineer?

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Centurions Reverse! 216

Per SSR 2 CPVA 6-2-7s are Assault Engineers. If a Chinese 5-2-7 battle hardens to a 6-2-7, does it become an Assault Engineer? If a 6-2-7 ELRs to a 5-2-7, does it stop being an Assault Engineer?
SSR 2:
Communist Chinese 6-2-7s/3-2-7s are Assault Engineers (H1.22; W7.91).

By the SSR wording and this Q&A (the second one), I think the answers might be "Yes" and "Yes".

A19.13 & H1.22
1) I am right to infer that a MMC given Assault Engineer (H1.22) status doesn’t automatically have underlined morale conferred to it?
A. Correct.

2) If the answer to question 1 is positive, does an Assault Engineer MMC without an underscored Morale, which suffers Replacement (A19.13), lose its Assault Engineer status?
A. Ordinarily it is lost, but that depends upon the SSR that confers it. Usually, those abilities are conferred upon a specific squad/HS type, so if you ELR (or HOB) out of that type, you are no longer an AE

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wager a beer Shaun Carter's answer is no.

I would also suggest that "designated" in W7.91 means the designated ones shown on the OB card...not ones that appeared in the course of play.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Either way, I don't think it will have much impact on the scenario.
My whole battle plan is to ELR all the CPVA 6-2-7s. The CMGs on in-Motion Centurions are not halved if the target is acquired by the MA, so I should be able to get lots of 1MC+ results. W7.91 would only allow such an ELR-ed unit to continue using a FT/DC as if elite anyway.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My whole battle plan is to ELR all the CPVA 6-2-7s. The CMGs on in-Motion Centurions are not halved if the target is acquired by the MA, so I should be able to get lots of 1MC+ results. W7.91 would only allow such an ELR-ed unit to continue using a FT/DC as if elite anyway.

JR
Yes, I see now the Baldrick plan..

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In Centurions Reverse, per SSR2, "The Carrier, 3-in. Mortar may set up Abandoned (D5.4), with all its weapons Removed (D6.631)." The 3-in mortar would be removed dm. If the British do opt to set up with the 3-inch mortar removed, is it correct that it must begin the scenario dm?

JR

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Questions regarding ASL 209 A Line Too Thinly Held:

1) Which side is the scenario attacker? While it seems obvious that the NKPA is the attacker, neither scenario attacker or scenario defender is defined on the card.
2) Can the 1st Battalion that set up on Board 8 used Cloaking? Per E1.411 SETUP: The Scenario Attacker sets up offboard (including the possible use of Dummy Cloaking counters). He is allotted one Cloaking counter for each squad-equivalent in his OB, either at start or (separately) as reinforcements. On the card, NKPA 1st company sets up concealed.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

1) Which side is the scenario attacker? While it seems obvious that the NKPA is the attacker, neither scenario attacker or scenario defender is defined on the card.
2) Can the 1st Battalion that set up on Board 8 used Cloaking? Per E1.411 SETUP: The Scenario Attacker sets up offboard (including the possible use of Dummy Cloaking counters). He is allotted one Cloaking counter for each squad-equivalent in his OB, either at start or (separately) as reinforcements. On the card, NKPA 1st company sets up concealed.
Although having a scenario attacker and defender is common at night, it is not necessary that there be one. In this scenario neither side meets the standard definition [index] and it is not defined in the SSRs, so neither side is scenario attacker or defender. By extension, neither side may use cloaking.

JR

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

Also, the US aren't lumbered with the black plague counters of death.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Also neither side may bore sight. One clue that neither side is scenario attacker nor defender is that the Americans get OB concealment counters, something that would be unlikely if they were scenario defender.

JR