Forgotten War Q & A.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
No. At ranges typical of Korea, AP would be the preferred round.
But are these ranges reflected in the ASL battles we are to expect?

Of course, you could argue that the tanks in the ASL battles 'did not expect' to fight at closer ranges. But then, it would be logical not to give them unlimited APCR in ASL terms.

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No. At ranges typical of Korea, AP would be the preferred round.
USMC AARs show HVAP was the preferred round. I have not examined US Army AAR (suspect Zaloga did the opposite). USMC AARs speaking glowingly of the HVAP vs T-34/85s.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
....................APC......HVAP.....HE.....WP
M4A3E8......... 53.......43........29.......5
M26................96......35........33.......1
M46................19......16..........2.......0

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Zaloga also claims that the T-34/85 loadout for the NKA was 5 rounds of AP and 50 rounds of HE, because the ROK army had no tanks (USSR load out at the time was 5 rounds of APCR, 14 rounds of AP and 36 rounds of HE, again according to Zaloga).

The reason I'm interested is that I hope we get some hypothetical Europe scenarios where there's a lot more AFV combat than in Korea.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
USMC AARs show HVAP was the preferred round. I have not examined US Army AAR (suspect Zaloga did the opposite). USMC AARs speaking glowingly of the HVAP vs T-34/85s.
Well sure. It should penetrate at the same ranges and more. Do they talk about the APC bouncing off the front of the T-34/85?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well sure. It should penetrate at the same ranges and more. Do they talk about the APC bouncing off the front of the T-34/85?
The USMC when it fired APC hull front had very high success rate, claim the reports,...they did have APC not penetrate more often than not when hits were front turret however. Likely mantle hits, vs the sweet spot where turret and hull meet at the ring.

I don't have the T34/85 book you got the chart from and so can't see if Zaloga included USMC data or not (and the online version does not have the biblio either best I could quick search for it to see if he used that info.).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The NKPA T-34/85 counters are marked with A5⁴/6⁵ while the KPA vehicle listing table says under ammo, A6. Which is correct? Similarly for other NKPA AFV & guns.
A6.

For all the KPA Guns, MAON B applies:
B. The Russian-colored counter is provided in BEYOND VALOR, but the Ordnance Listing and Notes herein apply in all cases.

The same is true for the T-34/85 and the SU-76M - i.e., the Listing applies - not the counter - those added in FW were deliberately made identical to existing counters. Though in hindsight, I now see that it should have been spelled out that the last part of MAVN B applies to the T-34/85 and the SU-76M as well.

B. The Russian-colored counter is provided in BEYOND VALOR, but the Vehicle Listing and Notes herein apply in all cases.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In Scenario 203 Hard ROK does SSR1:

Rowhouse black bars and printed stairwells do not exist.

What replaces the black bars, OG or building?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In Scenario 203 Hard ROK does SSR1:

Rowhouse black bars and printed stairwells do not exist.

What replaces the black bars, OG or building?
Here is my take:
If an SSR is worded as above, this usually means that OG replaces the the black bars. Otherwise SSR usually talk of Rowhouses being normal buildings.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would tend to agree as if the black bar simply doesn't exist, it leaves nothing but a blank space there that could only be logically interpreted as being ground level open terrain and buildings being separate buildings. If printed stairwells do not exist it means that multi-hex buildings are treated as two-story houses per 23.22 with an inherent stairwell in each building hex (though I'm fairly certain the crux of your question was in regards to the effects of non-existent black bars only).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Question - does A26.222 include the Korean War, specifically "at game end the VP value of captured Chinese Guns/vehicles is quadrupled; G18.44". I'm guessing no.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
How many FW scenarios does that affect? Zero. So no issue in this module.

I'm thinking it would still apply given the dearth of Chinese Guns/vehicles in FW.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It's not a FW scenario, so still zero. :D
Can't argue with that. :p

But if you are designing it, you can always clarify this in your SSR depending on your sway.
I agree, but just wondering if I'm somehow parsing it incorrectly, or if there is a higher-numbered rule that clarifies it - which would mean my SSR is redundant. Just trying to be as clean as possible.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
However, putting my thinking cap on, the G18.44 footnote would not seem to apply for post revolution Chinese.

I think W7 refers to the post-revolution Communist Chinese forces which seems distinct to the pre-revolution WWII Chinese forces referred to in G18.