Forgotten War Journal (so far)

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Al Saltzman and I are playing through all the MMP designed Forgotten War scenarios, in chronological order by date. Here are the recaps of what we've so far played:

FORGOTTEN WAR JOURNAL​

ASL 203, Hard RoK, played 8 May 2018.
I attacked all across the front in order to gain as much information of the enemy defense as possible. During the course of the battle I lost an SU-76 to a Human Bullet and a T-34/85 to a side shot from a bazooka. Toward the end of the game most of the South Korean force had been eliminated; all I had to do was get across the bridge. A RoK conscript and a first line squad were all that stood in my way. However, the first line squad was on the far side of the stream and had set a DC on the bridge exit hex. As fate would have it one of my half squads went berserk and charged across the bridge, getting blasted by the DC. I drove my remaining armor across and moved about four squads and a 9-2 onto the bridge. The overstacked infantry stack advanced onto the far side of the stream to win the game on the very last turn. Great game!

ASL 204, Human Bullets, played 16 May 2018.
I was able to destroy all the North Korean tanks on the road through the steep hills, mostly with 57L’s but also a Human Bullet and a Demo Charge. However, the mass of North Korean infantry overwhelmed my holding force and pushed toward the hills. Fortunately for me the North Korean infantry wasn’t as aggressive as I thought they should have been. I believe that these are the guys who will potentially win the scenario. Also, the tank convoy should go as far and as fast as possible; they’re going to be killed anyway so might as well try to win with them.

ASL 205, Super Bazooka, played 16 May 2018.
I was crushed by the North Korean armor. I misread the victory conditions, thinking that the North Koreans had to exit at least two tanks off the map. In reality it was either exit or score more CVP than the US. I deployed my force to prevent the exit only. In hind sight I should have used my HIP unit in such a manner to kill a T-34/85. I would gain 7 points if successful and the crew died. The North Koreans would then have to aggressively pursue the US troops in order to catch up with the points. I won’t make that mistake again.

WO 28, Dean’s Defiance, played 18 June 2018.
The three pronged North Korean attack, combined with the infiltrators, was too much for the 2nd line US troops suffering from ammunition shortage. Half of the North Korean infantry and armor entered from the north. On turn 2 one tank and 6 squads entered from the west, then on turn 3 the remainder entered from the east. The US forces were caught in a vice and chewed up. Al conceded on turn 4.

ASL 206, Hey, That Ain’t A ROK!, played 2 July 2018.
Even though Al had the balance, lifting the US ELR to 3, the N Koreans still managed to dominate. My troops were able to pinch off the two lead pockets and caused heavy casualties when the Americans tried to get out. I lost a 4-4-7 squad to a single 8-0 leader and a 6-2-8 with 2 half squads to a 5-4-6 in melee. By the end of turn four the writing was on the wall and the chance of a US victory was nearly impossible, so Al offered his concession.

ASL 207, Bullets for Breakfast, played 9 August 2018.
I played the defending Americans against Al’s elite North Korean force. Only two half squads from the perimeter security element failed their NTC’s so I had better security than anticipated. Things started off well for the NK as he was able to lay a good amount of smoke in front of my forward positions. However, I don’t think he exploited the opportunity to the fullest. This hesitation, combined with some good shooting on my part, slowed the NK advance ever further. By turn two I was pretty confident that I could hold the objective area. On turn three one of my 105’s got back to back critical hits on, first an 82mm mortar in a foxhole, then a captured 60mm mortar with a squad. Several other KIA’s afflicted the NK, one of which involved a leader and two squads. On around turn four the NK launched a desperate attack against the objective complex. This involved moving many squads through the open under the guns of the Americans. Of the around 15 squads that made the assault, only one made it into CC, and it was CX. The US quickly eliminated that squad in CC and Al conceded. I think that the NK must be very aggressive, especially on turn one.

ASL 208, The Grist Mill, played 22 August 2018.
Al defended with the US forces and my NK guys attacked. I was able to approach the objective area from the right, behind the hill. Other units provided over watch fire from a hill to the US front. The .50cal was unable to maintain any rate of fire and the half squad manning the 60mm mortar was broken. The attack on the right cleared that hill and managed to get into assault position. However, a good fire phase from the US delayed the pending attack. Once my troops were in position on the right the ones in the center closed on the objective. The Americans fell back to the stone building to rally, but decided to return to their sangars. The NK fire then broke all but a US half squad and Al conceded. My attack went relatively well and I lost few troops. Al mis-read the victory conditions and thought that the hex containing the wreck was my objective.

ASL 209, A Line Too Thinly Held, played 5 September 2018.
I played the US and established a hedgehog on the far side of the hill, away from the off board observer. Early in the game an M16 halftrack obliterated a platoon of North Koreans after the enemy failed to damage the vehicle. The North Koreans made good progress on my right, forcing my troops into a tight perimeter on the first level of the hill. At one point all but two of my squads were broken and it looked like the end was near for the US. What followed was a string of good dice that turned the tables. A self rally, followed by a leader rally then another squad put the US forces into an improved position. Then, a phenomenal prep fire phase saw the majority of attacking North Koreans either break or outright die. This unusually good “dice tear” was too much for Al and he conceded. I didn’t play all that well and Al didn’t play poorly, I simply diced him when it counted.

ASL 210, This Is Where We Stand, played 11 September 2018.
I got to attack with the Chinese against Al’s dug in USMC at night. I established a support by fire position on my right with the majority of the grenadiers in the center. The mortars established themselves on the left with my best troops executing a flanking maneuver to the far left. The Marines held on desperately and I suffered extremely heavy casualties. On my last turn I finally managed to capture all the level three hexes, but the one on the far right was occupied by only a 2nd line half squad. The only living troops the US possessed was a half squad, but he was adjacent to my half squad occupying the hilltop. After ineffectual back and forth shooting the Marine half squad advanced onto my half squad on the hilltop. He had a 3-1 in CC and I had a 1-4. He easily killed off my guy but I rolled a three to casualty reduce the Marine. As the Marine was already a half squad it was eliminated and he failed to capture the hill. Wow, that was close. Dice trumped skill again. I lost 36 of 45 squads. The Marines were completely eliminated.

ASL 211, Task Force Faith Breakout, played 10 November 2018
I defended with the CVPA in forward positions with the majority of the squads crested in the stream. The mortars were further back on the hills. The Americans came on to my left using the woods as cover. The 82mm mortar managed to kill the AA track with a lucky shot. However, the combination of superior firepower from the American ground forces and the fighter bombers caused me heavy casualties. The American finally cleared a path over the bridge on around turn 4 and brought on the convoy. By this time the CVPA had established a second line further back with all the HIP units still unrevealed. As the convoy drove forward they ran into my second line of defense. This time I had better cover and managed to significantly slow the American advance. On around turn eight I had destroyed about five of the six trucks needed and Al conceded. I think that the Americans must be super aggressive with their initial forces and create a breach in the initial CVPA defenses by no later than turn 3.

...to be continued.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I played 210 as the Chinese and also did the strong left flank move. It was a bloody mess and I was not able to capture the last far right Hill hex on the last turn. It was fun but took us 2 sessions to finish it!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is Where We Stand is next up on our playlist. I printed a custom board 2 off VASL at 1.5 normal hex size. It’s gonna be crowded!