Forgotten War in ASL tournaments?

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I know that FW is technically ASL, at least in the sense MMP means, and I'm not here to contest this assumption. My personal opinion about homogeneity of the war of Korea with WWII or - in general - the fact FW scenarios could or could NOT be included in a tournament's list is not rilevant now.

But I wish ask to everyone here if - in your opinion - it is perfectly ok that FW scenarios have the same chances to be used in main tournaments (ASLOK, Albany, ASO, etc etc ) from now exactly like the scenarios of a new core pack or module, or they deserve a particular treatment.
In other words, should be FW treated like ASL, not less not more than Rising Sun, Beyond Valor or Partisans? or you, TD or player, will think twice before playing/including scenarios coming from FW in your favorite tournament?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Sure, why not? Novelty is so important to keeping ASL going and tournaments interesting and you know Korea will be heavily featured over the next 2-3 years in new scenarios from multiple publishers, so it seems almost impossible to exclude them, at least in the short term. Maybe in five years it'll be a DTO-ish forgotten stepchild, but in the short term, seems impossible to exclude in practical terms.

That said, I've played enough of FW's scenarios in PT that I'll be excluding them all at BE from my personal playings.

S

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All tournaments I know have been to have been ASL tournaments, not World War II tournaments.

JR
This. FW is a core module for what it's worth. Tournaments have seen scenarios featuring the Spanish Civil War or other non-WW2 theaters.

However, I think that at least for the time being, FW scenarios should be but one choice of several of a given round. At this point, FW can not be expected to have spread to everyone nor that most people have familiarized themselves with the rules.

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, why not? Novelty is so important to keeping ASL going and tournaments interesting and you know Korea will be heavily featured over the next 2-3 years in new scenarios from multiple publishers, so it seems almost impossible to exclude them, at least in the short term. Maybe in five years it'll be a DTO-ish forgotten stepchild, but in the short term, seems impossible to exclude in practical terms.

That said, I've played enough of FW's scenarios in PT that I'll be excluding them all at BE from my personal playings.

S
Your continued support for FW by PT,* and that of others willing to do likewise, shall prevent the 'stepchild' effect you allude to. Thank you* for PTing. PT the life blood of ASL.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The NKPA vs whomever tourney scenarios should be fine, not alot of rules overload to deal with. With the chinese, I personally would not want to play them in a tourney environment, too many fiddly rules to try and remember while at the same time suffering sleep deperavation. But at home, no problem playing those scenarios with the chinese dudes. in all honesty, I'm actually enjoying FW.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would say the Chinese Communists are no harder than the IJA.

Just a matter of playing them and getting used to the rules. I’m sure we were not 100% right in our first playing, but...

Gotta get in the water.

That said, complex and tournaments don’t necessarily go together.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TD or player, will think twice before playing/including scenarios coming from FW in your favorite tournament?
We put a FW scenario in every round of the Bitter Ender. If a player is adamant about not playing FW, they can use their strike to eliminate it. As a player I would not think twice about playing a FW scenario.

Hopefully, there are others that pique your interest.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know that FW is technically ASL, at least in the sense MMP means, and I'm not here to contest this assumption. My personal opinion about homogeneity of the war of Korea with WWII or - in general - the fact FW scenarios could or could NOT be included in a tournament's list is not rilevant now.

But I wish ask to everyone here if - in your opinion - it is perfectly ok that FW scenarios have the same chances to be used in main tournaments (ASLOK, Albany, ASO, etc etc ) from now exactly like the scenarios of a new core pack or module, or they deserve a particular treatment.
In other words, should be FW treated like ASL, not less not more than Rising Sun, Beyond Valor or Partisans? or you, TD or player, will think twice before playing/including scenarios coming from FW in your favorite tournament?
Absolutely. The final call is that of the organizers for a list tourney or the players in a pick your own tourney. That said, I certainly would not pull back from them just based on the war they cover. It is ASL.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will have at least a FW mini-tournament at GRENADIER´19...
Hopefully there are more (TPP) tournament size Scenarios at this time.
I think Sherry Enterprises is going to have a KW themed Rally Point issue this fall.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I can see it getting a lot of play although I suspect that, lie PTO or DOT, most tournaments will not make it compulsory.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
please note I'm not discussing about the new module in general. I'm sure it will see a lot of playings and most of the future publications, official or not, will reserve space to FW from now. That's not the point.

I'm asking if you think it should be considered exactly like all other core mudules in tournaments or, given its peculiarities, it's a kind of fun that it's better leave to friendly games or dedicated minis.

waiting the evidence of the facts it's interesting what I'm reading, thanks.

Again, my opinion about the module is not important now (and off topic here).
however I tend to agree with Spencer when he says that we have to wait to see if he will become like the DTO-ish forgotten stepchild or it will deserve on the field the right to become a permanent element of any tournament.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
This. FW is a core module for what it's worth. Tournaments have seen scenarios featuring the Spanish Civil War or other non-WW2 theaters.

However, I think that at least for the time being, FW scenarios should be but one choice of several of a given round. At this point, FW can not be expected to have spread to everyone nor that most people have familiarized themselves with the rules.

von Marwitz
The possible problem some TDs/tournament players could see is not related to the WWII yes/no thing, but with the fact the FW module requires special rules and new counters (if not also boards) and probably also new tactis that are peculiar for the theatre. That is more than a simple change of date in the scenario card, like in the Spanish Civil war where counters and rules are basically unchanged.

To make happy more players, sometime TD must make hard choices. It is exactly for this reason that it's hard to find HASL scenarios or Night scenarios in tournament although they have a great audience.
We must wait and see...

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
You mean like PTO? Or Hakka Paalle?
PTO is inherent part of ASL from the beginning and very few players do not play PTO or do not own the Pacific Theatre Module(s).

About Hakka Paale is very different. For example my copy is still unpunched and I never played one scenario althought I started to playtest it ten years ago.

however I'm just asking opinions about the opportunity to include FW scenarios in tournament, not questioning about the quality/utility of the product. Thanks for the answer