ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
? Korean War module arrived.

Sadly I need the extra counter space more than ever. RAACO is too hard to find, or at least the right ones are hard to find.

Anyway, what news is there of any scenarios making use of them? I haven't played in two years now so I know nothing about scenarios released since then. I think that it would be great to see the new Ranger unit type used. It can give American forces a chance to recreate the more tragic parts of the Hurtgen campaign, where they tried using Rangers as shock troops but ended up wasting them on a strong position. That's the first example that springs to mind but there are other scenarios they could fit in, like an update of the old ASL Yearbook scenarios for Merrill's Marauders. Same thing for the now included British Marines.

What else they could do is to expand the Chinese civil war with the new PVA counters. This would be an excellent addition.

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
? Korean War module arrived.

Sadly I need the extra counter space more than ever. RAACO is too hard to find, or at least the right ones are hard to find.

Anyway, what news is there of any scenarios making use of them? I haven't played in two years now so I know nothing about scenarios released since then. I think that it would be great to see the new Ranger unit type used. It can give American forces a chance to recreate the more tragic parts of the Hurtgen campaign, where they tried using Rangers as shock troops but ended up wasting them on a strong position. That's the first example that springs to mind but there are other scenarios they could fit in, like an update of the old ASL Yearbook scenarios for Merrill's Marauders. Same thing for the now included British Marines.

What else they could do is to expand the Chinese civil war with the new PVA counters. This would be an excellent addition.
I also received my copy of FW a couple of weeks ago. My first impressions were that the Rangers & Royal Marines could easily be integrated into late war regular ASL.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note 15 says the M15 half tracks were used to support the 32nd Infantry Division in the Philippines. So there is THAT possibility.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also received my copy of FW a couple of weeks ago. My first impressions were that the Rangers & Royal Marines could easily be integrated into late war regular ASL.
I don't think that the Korean War RM counters would be appropriate for use in a WWII ASL scenario. The values upon the Korean War RM counters are intended to represent the fact that the Royal Marines in Korea were primarily armed with the M-1 Garand rifle.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
British colour US SW could be used for scrounged weapons from US built World War II AFVs, though if memory serves these already exist in the ASL system?

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone know what armor was used--if any--by the Chinese in the Korean War? Types and numbers needed as well as what types of SWs?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone know what armor was used--if any--by the Chinese in the Korean War? Types and numbers needed as well as what types of SWs?
No Chinese indigenous armor saw combat (though reports are some was staged in theatre late in the war, but no combat). The CPVA did capture and use (US and British) armor in very*** limited numbers, which was then destroyed by UN forces.

Types of SW? That is shown in the countermix. I don't get your question....

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Lebgot fires one in the Band of Brothers episode at Haganau (sp?)
They also use one in the Bastogne episode where the combat patrol goes out and bumps into the German line.

I do believe "Bulldozer" in Sgt. Rock occasionally used one (but only when Russ Heath or John Severin did the artwork - Joe Kubert usually gave him a water-cooled .30, for all the sense that made).

The gun is mentioned in Volume 20, Number 1 of The General, the issue focusing on the release of G.I.: Anvil of Victory, mostly because one of the devs was discussing the lack of American LMG counters in the original SL system, and noted that the Americans put a bipod and buttstock on the Browning but "weren't fooling anybody" since the gun was big and heavy.

Last edited:

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They also use one in the Bastogne episode where the combat patrol goes out and bumps into the German line.

I do believe "Bulldozer" in Sgt. Rock occasionally used one (but only when Russ Heath or John Severin did the artwork - Joe Kubert usually gave him a water-cooled .30, for all the sense that made).

The gun is mentioned in Volume 20, Number 1 of The General, the issue focusing on the release of G.I.: Anvil of Victory, mostly because one of the devs was discussing the lack of American LMG counters in the original SL system, and noted that the Americans put a bipod and buttstock on the Browning but "weren't fooling anybody" since the gun was big and heavy.
The bipod Browning would be a great addition to late war ETO and PTO scenarios.

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think that the Korean War RM counters would be appropriate for use in a WWII ASL scenario. The values upon the Korean War RM counters are intended to represent the fact that the Royal Marines in Korea were primarily armed with the M-1 Garand rifle.
Sorry, forgot the FW notes regarding Commonwealth units being armed with American weapons. Excellent point.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
No reason to disagree, though it would be interesting to know if the issue of the gun was really widespread, and more importantly, if it changed tactics at the lower levels in any appreciable way. In the ETO the Americans had such air, artillery and tank superiority it almost seems beside the point. In the PTO in 44-45, the Marines had turned their infantry squads into much more flexible fire-teams, being 3 or 4 men IIRC with a lot of short-range firepower (FT, DC, BAZ, BAR) that I also wonder if the introduction of an LMG would have mattered much. Maybe Steven Swann would be able to shed some light on the USMC side of things?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Given that the BAR was the standard automatic in the USA squad, officially 1 but very often a 2nd "acquired", I was surprised a few years ago reading about the OoB of the USA paratrooper squad.

In '43 and early '44 the paratroop squad had 2 M1919A6 and no BAR! Sometime in mid-late '44 that was changed to 1 M1919A6 and 1 BAR. A M1 Carbine and the rest M1 Garands completed the picture. At least that was the official OoB. In practice the paratroopers managed to get their hands on the odd Thompson or M3 SMG and the swap of a M1919A6 for a BAR could occur earlier or later.

I've never been entirely happy with the 747 paratroop squad. I think the FW 667 paratroop squad is closer to the official WW2 weapon mix, reserving the 747 for "old hands" who "customised" their kit. The FW paratroop squad is also ideal for the WW2 glider troops.

YMMV.