Forgot how much fun this was!

Wyrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all. I posted here a bit about a year or two ago when I first picked the game up. I played it quite a bit for awhile there (though not terribly well, i must admit :mad:), but then real life intervened in the form of an entirely to time intensive new job.

Recently, things have calmed down a bit, and I was digging through my old CDs and installing stuff on the new laptop, and I found TacOps again, after completely forgetting all about it. I had forgotten what a great little game this is. I have a rather large pile of strategy games, many of them WWII based, but TacOps really is one of the top two or three I own. It lacks the visual flash of some of the others, but it more than makes up for it in depth and challenge.

It is also, in my experience, one of the toughest AI opponents I've ever faced. I know a lot of folks complain about the fact that we can't edit single player scenarios due to the AI being hard-wired in, but I think it's an excellent approach. No other wargame I've played (with the reasonably close exception of the Airborne Assault series) has this formidable an AI, and I think it's because the AI is tailored to each scenario. I wish other developers would use this method, as it makes single player games incredibly fun and rewarding (when you win, which is seldom :freak:), and highly instructional when you lose. I always feel like I've learned something, and I never feel cheated. That's a rare thing.

I also like the interface. It's FAR easier to play and control than most other wargames of this depth. While games like Decisive Action and ATF are great, I always feel like I'm fighting the interface as much as OPFOR. Tacops is far more approachable than other 'real life' trainings sims while retaining the depth and complexity.

So, if anyone is down for a few matches, or has some pointers for a releative conscript to these types of games, let me know. I'm still trying to remember how to play this thing effectively. I have learned a couple of things, though:

1. Stay AWAY from the ?%$#! OPFOR ATGMs
2. Blue guys + Friendly Artillery + Misplaced TRP = :eek: :paperbag:
3. The AI in the 'Team Hill' scenario is programmed to hate you

Ok, all jokes aside, I'm having a blast. Thanks to Major H for one heck of a fine sim. It's rare you get a game that teaches you as well as entertains. great stuff!

Wyrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPX this Saturday!
Those are the big, multiplayer games, yes? How long do they generally last? I'd be hesitant to play in one just yet, as I'm pretty bad currently, but I'd love to watch, if that's possible. Once i've got the hang of things, I'd love to play. Tacops is pretty different from my usual fare, and I'm not what i would call competent quite yet.